[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cedric Cobbs

Avernus

Broncos | Cobbs entering training camp No. 3

Thu, 6 Jul 2006 05:20:25 -0700

The Northwest Arkansas Times reports Denver Broncos RB Cedric Cobbs will enter NFL training camp as the third running back on Denver's depth chart behind RBs Ron Dayne and Tatum Bell. Cobbs finds himself in a good position. In fact, he sees himself competing for significant playing time when training camp starts July 27. "(Denver coach Mike) Shanahan has good scheme going," Cobbs said. "The foremost priority is the running game. He teaches you to understand the game and teaches you how to run. I didn't get activated (last season), but I had a chance to learn more than I ever had. The coaching staff here believed in me." "If he can stay healthy, he can run 4.4 vertically and 4.4 sideways," Arkansas running backs coach Danny Nutt said. "He's just a freak. He's unbelievable. If he can just stay healthy, that is the key." In Denver, Cobbs said he thinks he will be able to thrive, because Shanahan has a history of turning unheralded running backs like RBs Olandis Gary and Reuben Droughns into 1,000-yard rushers.

:D:D

Thursday, July 6, 2006

MOVING UP?:

As the Broncos opened practice on Thursday, fullback/tailback Cecil Sapp was running with the first team offense as the lead blocker for Ron Dayne.

"Cecil is a worker," Shanahan said of the CSU alum. "He is a guy that I feel is talented enough to be the starting fullback or tailback -- he is that type of athlete."

www.denverbroncos.com

Its all about 'potential'. Everybody has 'potential' this time of year. I gave up on him when he proved to be too stupid to learn NE's playbook. I have no expectations of the lightbulb suddenly coming on in Den.

I could see Cobbs taking over Dayne's role from last season while Dayne moves into Anderson's role. However, I think he's going to get some very tough competition from UDFA Mike Bell, who is really a RB cut in the DEN prototypical RB model.

I wonder about NE cutting Cobbs adrift myself. NE had an almost desperate need for an RB of Cobbs' size with Dillon aging the way he is and no other RB on the roster capable of being a featured RB, yet Belichek - a guy who is outstanding at recognizing talent & getting the most out of his players - sent him packing without looking back.

As far as Sapp is concerned, there's no way I see him beating out Kyle Johnson unless Johnson has regressed tremendously. Johnson was simply outstanding last season and does everything DEN asks out of a FB, including catching the ball, especially in the red zone. Personally, I think Shanahan is throwing Sapp a bone for all of his hard work on special teams with no complaining for a few years. When the team really gets under way in the preseason, Johnson will step into the starting role.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Cobbs has a ton of potential and athletic ability, but he couldn't stay healthy in college and he was consistently hurt while in NE, therefore I doubt he could take a beating for the whole season. This is just going to be a hugh RBBC mess in Denver, IMO.

As far as Sapp is concerned, there's no way I see him beating out Kyle Johnson unless Johnson has regressed tremendously. Johnson was simply outstanding last season and does everything DEN asks out of a FB, including catching the ball, especially in the red zone. Personally, I think Shanahan is throwing Sapp a bone for all of his hard work on special teams with no complaining for a few years. When the team really gets under way in the preseason, Johnson will step into the starting role.

I brought up the Sapp article as it was only two years ago we saw Ruben Droughns (at the time the Broncos FB) emerge as their Tailback.

I thought it interesting that Shanny said, "He is a guy that I feel is talented enough to be the starting fullback or tailback -- he is that type of athlete."

Although you're probably right BB.

More than likely, this is just Shanny throwing Sapp a bone.

I wonder about NE cutting Cobbs adrift myself. NE had an almost desperate need for an RB of Cobbs' size with Dillon aging the way he is and no other RB on the roster capable of being a featured RB, yet Belichek - a guy who is outstanding at recognizing talent & getting the most out of his players - sent him packing without looking back.

my thoughts exactly

I brought up the Sapp article as it was only two years ago we saw Ruben Droughns (at the time the Broncos FB) emerge as their Tailback.

I thought it interesting that Shanny said, "He is a guy that I feel is talented enough to be the starting fullback or tailback -- he is that type of athlete."

Although you're probably right BB.

More than likely, this is just Shanny throwing Sapp a bone.

Yeah, I found that interesting also. But having watched Sapp run, he just doesn't have NFL capability. He's an aim-and-shoot RB, and that is death in the Broncos' zone blocking/1 cut scheme. Vision & decision making is at a premium. Don't get me wrong, I like Sapp & have since his CSU days. I think it's great that he's found a way to get paid & play football, since he obviously loves the game & will do anything to keep playing. He just isn't a NFL caliber RB - not even in DEN.

Here's some information about Cobbs v Dayne, if anyone considers Cobbs a threat to Dayne.

Dayne, @ WIS (4 yrs) 6397 ru yds on 1115 carries, 5.74 ypc, 63 TDs, 304 rec yds on 31 catches

Cobbs, @ ARK (4 yrs) 2350 yds on 473 rushes, 4.97 ypc, 23 TDs, 78 rec yds on 15 catches.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dayne, NYG/DEN (5 yrs) 2337 yds on 638 carries, 3.66 ypc, 17 TDs, 151 rec yds on 26 catches

Cobbs, NE (1 yr) 50 yds on 22 carries, 2.27 ypc, 0 TDs, 0 rec yds on 0 catches

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The thing that really catches my eye about Cobbs is his signature game: 29 rush yds on 16 carries v CLE - when CLE was the worst run D in the NFL that year & NE was the 7th best rushing team in the NFL.

I'm sorry, but I don't see anything in Cobbs' body of work that shows me he can displace Dayne, despite Dayne's struggles with the Giants (where I thought he was badly misused - granted that was forced by Barber & his ability).