[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I need a brine recipe

Chief Dick

You smoking and slapping some sauce on this....??

Off the top of my head:

Apple juice

Lots of Kosher salt

Some Apple sauce

Chinese five spices

Ground Cloves

Pepper Corns

maybe some fresh ginger

Sounds good to me... but then agian I've been drinking... A few bottles of 97' Napa Wine Company Cab w/ anice basil butter ribeye!

You smoking and slapping some sauce on this....??

Off the top of my head:

Apple juice

Lots of Kosher salt

Some Apple sauce

Chinese five spices

Ground Cloves

Pepper Corns

maybe some fresh ginger

Sounds good to me... but then agian I've been drinking... A few bottles of 97' Napa Wine Company Cab w/ anice basil butter ribeye!

Good Lord. Did you just spit out the first 7 things that may or not be related to brining pork? :D:D

I'm not making pork shoulder brining stir fry.

Thanks. :D

Edited by Chief Dick

really basic here............

4 cups apple cider

3 1/2 cups water

1/2 cup salt

1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar

3 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper

2 teaspoons dried sage

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

I brine my pork in: salted water, honey, sliced onion, garlic, peppercorns, mustard seed, bay leaves, and some nutmeg.

I bring it to a boil, let it cool, add ice, cover the meat, set it in a cool place at least over night.

CD-

Detlef posted this on here quite a while back, but I use it pretty often and it is damn good:

Combine 1/2 # each kosher salt and brown sugar in a large bowl. Bring about 1 qt. of water to a boil with a handful of peppercorns, 5 cloves of garlic, 5-6 cloves, and some chili flakes. If you have any fresh herbs like thyme of rosemary, they're nice as well. Turn the water off when it boils and let the herbs steep for a minute or two, then dump over sugar/salt to disolve them. If there's still some undissolved, add a bit of hot tap water until it does. Then add enough ice/cold water to make about 1.5 gal of cold brine. If the ice/water doesn't cool it off, but it in the fridge until it is. Soak pork in brine for ~ 8-12 hours. If the pork is not completely covered, go ahead and add some more water it's ok if you dillute the brine a bit. Sometimes it's helpful to put a few plates on top of the butt to submerge it and I like to turn it once (not crucial, so go ahead and put it in the fridge before you go to bed if you like).

Drain the pork, pick off any peppercorns and smoke as you typically do.

Large stock pot or crab pot needed. Bring kosher or sea salt at least two hand fulls, a handfull of peppercorns(tri blend), two bay leaves, fresh sage, rosemary and celery seed(wrapped in a make shift herb pouch) to a rolling boil in at least eight quarts of water. Sometimes I will throw in some good dry rub in also. Stubbs comes to mind. At boiling point add a bit more salt. one handfull. Make sure it dissolves and then turn off heat and cover. When cool enough(about an hour or three beers) pull out herb pouch, add cold water to about three quarters full again at least eight quarts. Add your pork so it is at least two thirds covered. You can turn it a few times if needed. Cover if you can with at least saran wrap or lid or both. I leave mine outside over night, but if you are worried about critters then put in the fridge overnight. Turning every four to five hours. In the morning pull out of brine towell dry. If you are not dry rubbing from this point that is perfectly fine as the brine will be set in. Then start the smoking!!! Absolutely great cooked in a H2O charcoal smoker :D

CD-

Detlef posted this on here quite a while back, but I use it pretty often and it is damn good:

Combine 1/2 # each kosher salt and brown sugar in a large bowl. Bring about 1 qt. of water to a boil with a handful of peppercorns, 5 cloves of garlic, 5-6 cloves, and some chili flakes. If you have any fresh herbs like thyme of rosemary, they're nice as well. Turn the water off when it boils and let the herbs steep for a minute or two, then dump over sugar/salt to disolve them. If there's still some undissolved, add a bit of hot tap water until it does. Then add enough ice/cold water to make about 1.5 gal of cold brine. If the ice/water doesn't cool it off, but it in the fridge until it is. Soak pork in brine for ~ 8-12 hours. If the pork is not completely covered, go ahead and add some more water it's ok if you dillute the brine a bit. Sometimes it's helpful to put a few plates on top of the butt to submerge it and I like to turn it once (not crucial, so go ahead and put it in the fridge before you go to bed if you like).

Drain the pork, pick off any peppercorns and smoke as you typically do.

Yeah, I ran a search for this last night and ran across it.

I used a combo of a couple of everyone's ideas, and starting soaking the pork last night. Been in almost 24 hours now, and will start smoking at 8:00 AM tomorrow.

Good Lord. Did you just spit out the first 7 things that may or not be related to brining pork? :D:D

I'm not making pork shoulder brining stir fry.

Thanks. :D

I was drunk and throwing some stuff out there... I might have to try it sometime; I guess different strokes for different folks! I will sometimes use the 5 spices in dry rubs and I figured when it was diluted by the water it would give it a nice subtle flavor along with the apple suace and cloves... I did a search to see if my drunkeness was off the mark.. I guess I wasn't to far off!

Link

What time should we get there??

I was drunk and throwing some stuff out there... I might have to try it sometime; I guess different strokes for different folks! I will sometimes use the 5 spices in dry rubs and I figured when it was diluted by the water it would give it a nice subtle flavor along with the apple suace and cloves... I did a search to see if my drunkeness was off the mark.. I guess I wasn't to far off!

Link

What time should we get there??

I purposely stayed away from any apple related additives to the brine mix, only because the other shoulder I'm smoking I injected with apple juice and didn't want 2 of them tasting like apple.

The chinese spices and ginger could be interesting, though. I'll have to try that next time. :D

Save some pickle brine(if your into :D), this can serve as your stock, then add what you want for the flavor desired, also, Mom used to water it down abit so it would not taste like pickeled pork.

Boil it up(whatever ya want to put in it)-follow normal brining procedure.

Someone care to explain the purpose of brining? It's just not something that I have considered at this point in my developing grilling/smoking career.

I smoked a butt for 18 hours on the BGE Saturday before the 4th with the only addition being a rub applied just before putting it on. It was the best pulled pork I've ever had so I can't imagine doing something to the meat ahead of time could make it any better but I could be convinced to give it a try.

Someone care to explain the purpose of brining? It's just not something that I have considered at this point in my developing grilling/smoking career.

I smoked a butt for 18 hours on the BGE Saturday before the 4th with the only addition being a rub applied just before putting it on. It was the best pulled pork I've ever had so I can't imagine doing something to the meat ahead of time could make it any better but I could be convinced to give it a try.

Brined turkey is the only way to go IMO. Brining is usually done to keep the meat juicy and to seal in the flavor. Mostly though for the moistness factor.

I use this on mainly ribs but I imagine it'll work with all pork:

1/2 cup salt (I use Kosher)

7 cups hot water

2 cups cider vinegar

1/2 cup sugar-free pancake syrup

1/2 tablespoon cracked black pepper

1/2 cup Splenda (I use sugar, it is a straight 1:1 ratio)