[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Portis in Al Saunders system.....

Big Dogs

I've seen a ton of talk about Portis liking the new offensive game plan that Al Saunders is putting in place in Washington, and it's obvious that he (Al) was successful in KC. But am curious about how quickly players (and in particular RB's) pick up the new systems and do well in them........ I have to give kudos to Cliaz's breakdown of the top 5 picks, which included some info on Portis......... :D

But wanted to get a bunch of other opinions and find out how the homers think he'll do this year in putting up numbers in the new Saunders system?? :D

I have ulterior motives for asking. I just got the 4th pick in one of my leagues and unless someone makes a mistake above me, the concensus in most mocks I've seen is Portis as the 4th pick. Need to make sure I get the pick right, and the other options scare me...........Tiki (getting older), Edge (crap O-Line), Ronnie B (Can he handle full load), or Caddy (he would be my other option besides Portis)......

I've won the championship in this league for the past two years, and in both those years, I picked from the #4 spot.......so I've been talking a ton of smack already this year about a Three-peat!!!! :D I know its the middle rounds which will take me to the promised land, but still don't want to screw up my #1 pick!!!

Looking for thoughts!!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Saunders will be considered overrated....

remember how much Alex Gibbs was touted from being in Denver and going to Atlanta?......

and remember how much people didn't mention it during the season?...the coaching change is overrated and I really think if Portis gets too much of a workload, he'll get hurt this year as he plays a physical schedule and is in a physical division...

The system saunders is putting in is similar to the Gibbs system. And i do feel that he is very key acquasition for the skins as there was a lot of hesitation with play calling last year w Gibbs.

He'll deffinitely do well.. it will still be a run first team and D's will try to stuff the run 1st while challenging Brunell to beat them in the air... which he will

The o line is healthy, but portis had a lot of problems getting in to the end zone from around the goal line 1st half of the season.

I think portis and tiki will be close in total fantasy points, so u cant go wrong with either. Portis probably has more potential though

remember how much Alex Gibbs was touted from being in Denver and going to Atlanta?......

and remember how much people didn't mention it during the season?...the coaching change is overrated and I really think if Portis gets too much of a workload, he'll get hurt this year as he plays a physical schedule and is in a physical division...

I couldnt disagree with you more.

Saunders in all circles is viewed as a much better cordinator than Alex Gibbs. Over the past few years, in my mind, Saunders and Kubiak were the elite Offensive cordinators. Al Saunders has been the mastermind behind the most prolific offense of the past 5-6 years. He will always have a runningback that puts up hugh numbers, a tight end that will catch some td's, and an offense that will put up the numbers.

Honestly, If I had the number two pick, I'd take Portis over Alexander and Tomlinson.

I would take Portis at #4 and would be very happy with my pick. IMHO he has the best oppurtunity of everyone outside the top 3 backs to move into that group and possibly unseat someone. The Skins O-Line is not quite the KC line but it still isn't too bad.

Portis is a good call at #4. Saunders system is one based upon the old Gibbs system of the 80's, so there will not be a hugh adjustment. And remember, Portis had 1500 plus rushing and 11 TD's last year and there were pretty significant line injuries. He more than doubled his TD output from the year before. He should actually get a little bit of a decrease in carries this year with Betts getting a little more work. That, plus more receiving threats to go with Moss and Cooley, ought to keep him pretty fresh and spread the defenses. All good signs. And the reports on the recovery of the O linemen from surgeries/injuries are all good so far.

I say he breaks 1500 again on the ground but gets more rushing TDs. Possibly in the 15-16 range, plus 1-2 receiving TDs. Remember, the Redskins had 15 TDs go to tight ends last year: 7 for Cooley, 1 for Royal and 7 for Sellers. Those were redzone scores and they will not have that many go to Sellers again. Instead, I anticipate Saunders going to his bread and butter, running the ball into the endzone. And Gibbs had multiple years as a head coach with rushing TDs around or above 20 for a season. He is not afraid to run in the redzone.

Of course, remember, I am a homer.

Edited by skins

Portis is a good call at #4. Saunders system is one based upon the old Gibbs system of the 80's, so there will not be a hugh adjustment. And remember, Portis had 1500 plus rushing and 11 TD's last year and there were pretty significant line injuries. He more than doubled his TD output from the year before. He should actually get a little bit of a decrease in carries this year with Betts getting a little more work. That, plus more receiving threats to go with Moss and Cooley, ought to keep him pretty fresh and spread the defenses. All good signs. And the reports on the recovery of the O linemen from surgeries/injuries are all good so far.

I say he breaks 1500 again on the ground but gets more rushing TDs. Possibly in the 15-16 range, plus 1-2 receiving TDs. Remember, the Redskins had 15 TDs got to tight ends last year: 7 for Cooley, 1 for Royal and 7 for Sellers. Those were redzone scores and they will not have that many go to Sellers again. Instead, I anticipate Saunders going to his bread and butter, running the ball into the endzone. And Gibbs had multiple years as a head coach with rushing TDs around or above 20 for a season. He is not afraid to run in the redzone.

Of course, remember, I am a homer.

Thats a very nice - Borat :D

Honestly, If I had the number two pick, I'd take Portis over Alexander and Tomlinson.

I have it in our league and no way am I taking Portis over LT. Portis will be good and I am hearing good things coming from even the WR's in DC, but come on. Portis over LT?

LT

LJ

Alexander

Portis

Period.

The only issue you have with Portis is the division. But with the wides the skins got, nobody is going to be able to load up on him. And he at worse, will remain the same with Saunders calling the plays. More than likely though - it should have a hugh effect on the game.

I have it in our league and no way am I taking Portis over LT. Portis will be good and I am hearing good things coming from even the WR's in DC, but come on. Portis over LT?

Well it wouldnt be me. But at the same time if its a dynasty. I might do it. Because LT just aint getting it done down the stretch and more so. I see him going down hill in 2 years. Its already begining to show.

Well it wouldnt be me. But at the same time if its a dynasty. I might do it. Because LT just aint getting it done down the stretch and more so. I see him going down hill in 2 years. Its already begining to show.

Pick whoever you like. I believe that is the fault of the coaches and play calling more than Tonlinson's and will be adjusted this year. I believe with Rivers there they will feature him more.

In addition Portis is in a new system and wil take some time to adjust. We'll see come December.

I think in that league I will pick LJ if he is there. I just don't think Portis deserves to be top 3. 4 yes, but 3 no.

:D

Avernus,

If you're trying to use Alex Gibbs moving to Atlanta as an example of how a Coaching change is overrated, that was the worst example you could have used.

Since Gibbs came to Atlanta and coached up the O'line, Atlanta has had one of the NFL's top ranked running games. In fact Atlanta has had the top ranked rushing offense in two of those years and Dunn has been enjoying career years.

Also look at the difference Hudson Houck made in Dallas, San Diego & now with Miami.

I'm kinda of thinking the opposite to you Avernus. IMO Coaching changes sometimes get overlooked.

As for Portis having too much of a workload, you are aware that since he's been with the Skins, his # of touches per year, is top 5 for all NFL RB's? And he got those touches running behind a more abusive RB offensive scheme, than the one Saunders is now implementing.

I wouldn't worry too much about his workload. Portis left Shanny holding his skirt back in Denver.

You may or may not be right about Saunders but that's horrible advice, IMHO.

I think you are undervaluing Hutchinsons importance as far as his dominance in the running game.

He also doesnt have to worry about playing with a quarterback who will make his first ever start.

I have a bad feeling about both Alexander, and LT. Stick to your conventional wisdom.

I think you are undervaluing Hutchinsons importance as far as his dominance in the running game.

He also doesnt have to worry about playing with a quarterback who will make his first ever start.

I have a bad feeling about both Alexander, and LT. Stick to your conventional wisdom.

Well there is a coaching change in KC and DC too. Every team has potential issues.

I couldnt disagree with you more.

Saunders in all circles is viewed as a much better cordinator than Alex Gibbs. Over the past few years, in my mind, Saunders and Kubiak were the elite Offensive cordinators. Al Saunders has been the mastermind behind the most prolific offense of the past 5-6 years. He will always have a runningback that puts up hugh numbers, a tight end that will catch some td's, and an offense that will put up the numbers.

I was talking about the run blocking......Alex Gibbs was an OL coach and Saunders has had influence on the KC OL....but I think it has more to do with the talent there...

:D

Avernus,

If you're trying to use Alex Gibbs moving to Atlanta as an example of how a Coaching change is overrated, that was the worst example you could have used.

Since Gibbs came to Atlanta and coached up the O'line, Atlanta has had one of the NFL's top ranked running games. In fact Atlanta has had the top ranked rushing offense in two of those years and Dunn has been enjoying career years.

Also look at the difference Hudson Houck made in Dallas, San Diego & now with Miami.

I'm kinda of thinking the opposite to you Avernus. IMO Coaching changes sometimes get overlooked.

As for Portis having too much of a workload, you are aware that since he's been with the Skins, his # of touches per year, is top 5 for all NFL RB's? And he got those touches running behind a more abusive RB offensive scheme, than the one Saunders is now implementing.

I wouldn't worry too much about his workload. Portis left Shanny holding his skirt back in Denver.

weren't they a good running team before-hand?....

and coaching changes are always overlooked...and I try to pay close attention to them.....

I think great teams start with coaching....then the OL/DL and then outward...

but....in this instance....I think it will be overrated...

Bottom line is Portis is the safest pick at number 4. Sure Brown and Caddy have lots of upside, but if you want a sure thing, take Portis and dont think twice.

I say Tiki is #4.....he was #1 in my league in 2004 and #1 in 2005 when both seasons finished....I just now realized he did this 2 years in a row at the RB position...

I say Tiki is #4.....he was #1 in my league in 2004 and #1 in 2005 when both seasons finished....I just now realized he did this 2 years in a row at the RB position...

redraft I agree. If this is pertaining to redraft, my bad. Ive never owned Tiki...only played against him, and every time he seems to kill me.

redraft I agree. If this is pertaining to redraft, my bad. Ive never owned Tiki...only played against him, and every time he seems to kill me.

Me too. I took him in seconsd round in keeper. #4 or #5 redraft and 11 in keeper?

Both he and his twin brother seem to kill everyone.

Me too. I took him in seconsd round in keeper. #4 or #5 redraft and 11 in keeper?

Both he and his twin brother seem to kill everyone.

I would say he goes after the likes of SJax, Caddy, RBrown and a few others in a keeper...but higher than a few of the much younger backs because of his production and he'll be playing for another 3 years likely and you'll be able to trade him for something decent if you have a bad season and build for the future...