[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rank the Division

BigMikeinNY

The NFC East "Rank the Division" went so well, I thought I'd present each one....

What do you think the final standings in the NFC North will look like at the end of the 2006 regular season?

(If you have allready posted in the NFC East, please be consistent with your Wild Cards. For example, you cant give away 5 Wild Cards in the NFC. I allready gave away my two Wild Cards in the NFC East, so I am left with no more in the NFC)

1st Green Bay

2nd Chicago

3rd Minnesota

4th Detroit (4-12)

* = Wild Card

This whole div could underachieve this year(just a feeling), and the Vikes got off to a horrible start last year, but Jhonson had a calming influence. I think Brad has one more year left in him and more talent around him than Favre. The Bears OS and Draft were uninpiring to me, just my two cents, and while they have a tremendous DT, they will give up a few more points in the tight games and the close wins could flip flop on them to close losses this season. Detroit??? Who knows, I still think it's a powder keg waiting to explode and Marinella's hard line tactics will not work this season, and not until he has "his guys" on the roster.

1-Vikings

2-Packers

3-Bears

4-Lions

This whole div could underachieve this year(just a feeling), and the Vikes got off to a horrible start last year, but Jhonson had a calming influence. I think Brad has one more year left in him and more talent around him than Favre. The Bears OS and Draft were uninpiring to me, just my two cents, and while they have a tremendous DT, they will give up a few more points in the tight games and the close wins could flip flop on them to close losses this season. Detroit??? Who knows, I still think it's a powder keg waiting to explode and Marinella's hard line tactics will not work this season, and not until he has "his guys" on the roster.

1-Vikings

2-Packers

3-Bears

4-Lions

Yeah, I thought for sure the Bears would go TE early but went with defense for most of the draft instead.

I like the Packers upgrades, don't really like the Vikings moves but do like what the Lions are doing.

The Pack lost 6 games by an average of 3 pts and had horrible injuries. I think they wll rebound this year.

*Bears

*Packers

Lions

Vikings

Vikings

Bears

Lions

Packers

I would put the Packers higher if their OL appeared better to me....and I think the Lions will be pretty good...

I don't know....I want to put the Bears 3rd because they lack depth on defense....a defense that is great, mind you...but I just feel their depth has been their achilles heel....they may have improved the defense...I wouldn't know....but from my recollection...yes...

and the Lions will actually have a good passing attack this year...if their OL allows this at least...the defense would be better if they had a lead and would make opposing teams one-dimensional...

This is one of the few divisions that could go anyway. But my way is

Lions -- (yep I said it....)

Bears --(Great Def, but the Off is still suspect)

Vikings --(Chester Taylor and Brad Johnson are the saviors, I think not)

Packers -- (Farve has no targets, no running game, no defense to help, and possiblity no arm left)

1. Chicago (Defense will carry them through this bad division)

2. Minnesota (Improved D and O shows flashes of good play)

3. Detroit (With all those weapons, even Chris Weinke could QB this team and win)

4. Green Bay (Favre. Need I say anymore)

1-Bears (no one is running against this defense, their offensive line likes to maul, benson waiting in the wings. Only QB play limited them last year... Griese can come in if Grossman isn't getting the job done)

2-Vikings (Brad Johnson will keep them close if the defense can hold their ground. But teams are really going to be crowding the line to see if BJ can beat them deep. The running game looks very capable with a healthy Birk, he pulls with the best of em. Hutch will create holes, Tony Richardson is a savvy vet. Maybe this team can push for a wild-card if the defense can hold up, not sure if they have all the pieces yet for a solid Cover-2, especially at LB. The East looks stronger, I don't see a wild-card for the Vikes)

3-Green Bay (This is a team that can surprise a lot, they lost a ton of games last year by a hair. Their run defense is solid, but teams are lighting them up by air. Charles Woodson should help them greatly if he gets healthy. Interior line play really put the pressure on Favre last year, way too many early, forced passes and you end up with a ton of interceptions. Not sure if they improved enough in that area, but Daryn College carries a good draft grade)

4-Detroit (Kitna seems capable because he put up wins in Cincy, but he was surrounded by superior talent with a great line. He's going to be running for his life if Martz is going to be dropping him 7-step drops. Not sure if Detroit has the fast enough receivers to be gunning for 20-yd slants. I expect growing pains on offense. On defense, their secondary looks troublesome. I cannot see Dre Bly being very effective in run support in the Cover-2)

This whole div could underachieve this year

You could say this before every NFC North season (just about). This might be the worst division (top to bottom) in football.

1. Chicago (11-5)

2. Minnesota (10-6) * WC

3. Green Bay (6-10)

4. Detroit (3-13)

Estimated win totals, of course.

Chicago has the best defense in the division, the best running game in the division, and quite likely the best coach in the division.

Minnesota might win the division, and/or might win a game wild card weekend. The moves in the off-season were too bold not to pay some dividends.

I fail to see what Green Bay did to get better. Yes, certain areas, but not overall.

Detroit has Jon Kitna as a QB. They have a guy who was an offensive line coach six months ago giving orders to Mike Martz. That just doesn't sound like something that will work out well. Notice I didn't bring up Matt Millen.

Edited by godtomsatan

1--Chicago Bears

2--Detroit Lions

3--Minnesota Vikings

4--Green Bay Packers

Big difference this year for the Bears is Grossman has competition and Griese will keep "D"'s honest enough to allow the run game to flourish...really like Bears if Griese is the QB. Lions have improved at QB IMO and they went crazy getting OL in free agency...Lions could start out slow..but look for them to be in the chase for a playoff spot/wildcard. Vikings have lost all the stars (CPepp and Moss)...got Hutchinson for the OL but a bunch of back-ups start for Minny and they will have growing/chemistry pains....Packers...Favre will throw 500+ passes, he will run for his life as OL are not very good....."D" is shining spot for this team...their "D" could win them a few more games...but 6-7 wins (more likely 6) is not going to get it done... :D

3-Green Bay (This is a team that can surprise a lot, they lost a ton of games last year by a hair. Their run defense is solid, but teams are lighting them up by air.

Actually last season GB was #1 in pass defense (167 yards per game) but way down on the run.

Last year 2 of the top 3WR's were hurt, the top 4 RB's, the top TE and still they lost 6 games by an average of 3 pts. I think many of you will be surprised this year.

1) Vikings

2) Bears

3) Lions

4) Packers

I'm a Bears fan and would love nothing more than watching them win the division in consecutive years...but their lack of aggressiveness during the off season and the Thomas Jones and Lance Briggs situations cause me to rank them second with a good chance of missing the playoffs.

Despite some decent salary cap space, they failed to upgrade at WR2 and are still trying to sell Desmond Clark as a strong TE...both foolish in my opinion. During the draft, they traded out of the first round and, I believe, ended up reaching for guys they liked who would have been available a round or two later. I do like the QB situation a little better this year, but Brian Griese, while a decent backup/starter when Grossman gets hurt, has proven to be an injury risk also.

The Bears could have stood Chicago on it's ear this season...but, IMO, will come up short.

1. Vikings (but could easily switch the #1 and #2 spots between MIN and CHI)

2. Bears

3. Lions

4. Packers

Vikes are still very much an unknown but with a lot of talented players returning. Bears have an amazing Defense, but still have to prove their Offense can get it done. Lions and Packers both need help.

1) Lions- :D I'm a crazy homer. Every team is this division has it's glaring flaws. There's also three new Head Coaches in the division. It's about as wide open as you can get.

2) Viqueens- The old gunslinger Brad Johnson returns for another year at behind Matt Birk (he went to Harvard). The 'queens have had plenty of potential for years... who's going to run the ball? who's going to catch the ball? It's a good thing that they play in this division, you don't have to play defense too hard since most offenses stink.

3) Packers- One more year for Favre. He'll learn from last year's mistakes and let others on the team make plays. He'll hand the ball off more. They'll be more respectable, but not good.

4) Bears- Oh how the mighty fall. The last time the Bears won the division, they allowed 203 points (2001 season). They next season the allowed 379. Last year they won the divsion again. They allowed 202 points last year. Maybe this year they'll allow 378. :D. It's been a long time since the Bears put together back-to-back dominant defenses. Carolina showed how the Bears defense could be broken. They addressed some of that in the draft... but failed to upgrade their offense.

The order could easily be reversed. This is not a good division. There is not a dominant team. Time for the Lions to step up! :D

:D

Bears

Lions (yes)

'Queens

Packers

Much ado has been made about the Bears' fall from 2001 to 2002. It's barely relevant: anyone who watched the 2001 season saw EVERY SINGLE break going their way: look no further than Mike Brown's back to back INT returned for touchdowns in overtime in 2 straight weeks.

Also, the D as structured in 2001 was different than 2002. Their trio of killer LB's in 2001 -Urlacher, Colvin and Holdman lost Colvin wasn't the same, also I believe the Washington/Traylor duo was injured and their backups were of a completely different type of player - there weren't 2 guys who weighed 700+ pounds together to plug the middle in 2002 like in 2001.

Not only is this team deeper, the backups play similar ball and they gratuitously addressed the large issues this team had last year: QB depth, lack of return man and legit #2 CB. Sure, there's still no TE but the other 3 areas were more important IMO.

Martz will make a difference.

The Vikes finished strong, but ahd that 'lightning in a bottle' feel with Brad Johnson taht will be hard to replicate. The Pac is still a bit of a mess, and just because I have them 4th doesn't mean I don't think they'll be an ynder .500 team. This is a strong division top to bottom this year, perhaps second only to the NFC east in that conference.

1. Da Bears - Still the best defence

2. Vikings - Defence should be better and O-line will be alot better.

3. Lions - Young talent just put the ball in the air

4. Packers - Still don't have a running game.

I don't think the division as a whole isn't going to be as bad as it was last year. The Pack still need alot of help on offence.

THE RED HEADED STEP CHILD division

1. Vikings - the most balanced all around team

2. Bears - D wil keep them in it

3. Packers - one last go for Vavre shoud be somewhat competitive

4. Lions - new coach, (unproven players in key positions) will take time

1. bears

2. vikings

3. lions

4. pack

i think the bears are the best in the division this year.

i think, even though i dont really like him, brad johnson will be steady and get the vikings enough wins. though detroit could get second

i think the lions need a year to adjust to new coaches. next year could be a different story. even if we are talking about the lions.

and i think the pack have to many issues. new coaches, new system, not enough defensive playmakers.

Not only is this team deeper, the backups play similar ball and they gratuitously addressed the large issues this team had last year: QB depth, lack of return man and legit #2 CB. Sure, there's still no TE but the other 3 areas were more important IMO.

I'd be very curious to hear who this CB2 is they acquired. :D I don't believe you are talking about Ricky Manning, Jr. as the Bears have already stated he's # 3 and I know it's not anyone selected in the draft.

I'd be very curious to hear who this CB2 is they acquired. :D I don't believe you are talking about Ricky Manning, Jr. as the Bears have already stated he's # 3 and I know it's not anyone selected in the draft.

Manning and 2 draft picks. Sure they currently have Tillman #2 but the odds are it's an open spot that someone will take to push Tillman to 3. :D

Manning and 2 draft picks. Sure they currently have Tillman #2 but the odds are it's an open spot that someone will take to push Tillman to 3. :D

Your initial post said they now had a legit #2 CB...Unfortunately, IMO, I don't see that out of Hester or either one of the Mannings.

Your initial post said they now had a legit #2 CB...Unfortunately, IMO, I don't see that out of Hester or either one of the Mannings.

We see it different ways, then again we haven't 'seen' anything since camp hasn't really opened, but clearly the depth has improved and one of those guys will step it up imo.

And there's no counting out Tillman bringing a better game to camp: he's talented as all get out with the physical skills. If he can stay focused then he's our legit #2 without a doubt - but that is currently an 'if.'