[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Surprised Me

Sigalf03

Was looking through some aritlces on the huddle and ran into the analysis on what rounds players were drafted and who are still starters. Was very suprised to see that both T. Brady and M. Bulger were 6th round picks in 2000....... Crazy how you can pull a star out of no where

(note that I know nothing about there college careers and didn't do any analysis, this just suprised me)

Bulger and Brady were big surprises, having done rather better than Gino Carmazzi, Chris Redman and Tee Martin who were drafted before them. But to their benefit, both went to systems that create good QBs as well. They are the only current starters that were drafted after the 3rd round, at least for the last 6 or 8 years back.

Surprising too that there has been several undrafted RBs that play pretty well (Gado, Mike Anderson, etc.) and yet no RB after the 4th round has done much.

Aaron Brooks and Brad Johnson were also late-round picks who are starting. Was Kelly Holcomb drafted? Not sure about Trent Green either.

Add Kurt Warner (not drafted, if we are counting that) ...

Edited by Beaumont

Brooks was drafted in the 4th round during a QB rich year.

Brad Johnson was drafted in the 9th round but they only have seven now so comparitively he was undrafted.

Trent Green was in the 8th round so he too is "undrafted" by today's standards.

Holcomb was undrafted though he has not been much of a starter.

Bulger and Brady were big surprises, having done rather better than Gino Carmazzi, Chris Redman and Tee Martin who were drafted before them. But to their benefit, both went to systems that create good QBs as well. They are the only current starters that were drafted after the 3rd round, at least for the last 6 or 8 years back.

Surprising too that there has been several undrafted RBs that play pretty well (Gado, Mike Anderson, etc.) and yet no RB after the 4th round has done much.

:D

Can you explain the logic of this statement, DMD...? With Bulger it is obvious...but I have trouble applying that to Tom Brady

Brady has really been the only QB to have success in this system. Bledsoe was obviously there first, but was not succeeding.

If I were to describe the Pats offense over the last 5 seasons, it would be with terms like 'ball control', 'dink and dunk', 'clock management', etc.. I think that as Brady has gotten better, the offense has opened up significantly, but attribute that more to his talent than to the system.

I am sure you have some overriding analysis sitting in a filing cabinet somewhere that will support the system statement, I'd just like to hear what it is... :D

Bledsoe threw over 70 passes in that system against the Vikes once. It isn't the same as playing for the Bears.

The 'system' wasn't the same with Drew at the helm. He was a gunslinger, and played that way. That was one of the reasons Belichick wanted him out of NE.

I don't think Bledsoe's accomplishments under Belichick are tremendously relevant.

The 'system' wasn't the same with Drew at the helm. He was a gunslinger, and played that way. That was one of the reasons Belichick wanted him out of NE.

I don't think Bledsoe's accomplishments under Belichick are tremendously relevant.

He did guide his team to the SB and lost his job to an injury.

Gotta love the name Jackass.

Nice one, Jackass. Good job, Jackass.

:D

Reminds me of a commercial not to long ago. A man is being interviewed for a job. He is speaking to Mr. Dumas but keeps pronouncing it Dumb ass. I do not even remember wha the commercial is about. :D