[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL news

Avernus

Raiders | Moss looking to once again be a deep threat

Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:28:03 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports Oakland Raiders WR Randy Moss says the groin injury that hampered him last season is feeling better, and he believes the healthy legs of QB Aaron Brooks could make him the game's most dangerous deep threat once again. Moss says Brooks' mobility will buy the Raiders' time for him to get deep and catch the 14 or 15 long passes he grew accustomed to with the Minnesota Vikings.

Broncos | T. Bell told to hit the weights

Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:54:40 -0700

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan told Broncos RB Tatum Bell to hit the weights because Bell didn't run hard enough on short-yardage and goal-line plays. Bell averaged 5.3 yards a carry in each of his first two seasons, but his average in short-yardage runs has been only slightly more than 2 yards a carry. Bell is hoping by improving his short-yardage average he'll be able to beat out RB Ron Dayne to be the team's starting running back.

Titans | Calico looks to return to rookie season form

Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:42:15 -0700

Craig Tapper, of TitansOnline.com, reports Tennessee Titans WR Tyrone Calico is looking to return to the form which made him a top target for the Titans in 2003. Calico missed most of 2004 and 2005 with nagging injuries. General manager Floyd Reese thinks Calico has the chance to be an elite receiver in the league, "Physically, there are very few players in this league that are in his category. But he has to work on patterns, catching the ball and concentration – the little things."

Bills | McGahee motivated to get new contract

Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:37:31 -0700

Vic Carucci, of NFL.com, reports Buffalo Bills RB Willis McGahee was a pleasant surprise by showing up to the team's minicamp in good physical condition despite missing the team's offseason workouts. McGahee may be motivated to have a better season than 2005 in order to get a better contract.

McGahee in a contract year could mean bigger numbers..

I just hope he didn't pul a Jamal by half-arsing one season so he could have a stronger following season...

only Jamal did it the numbskull way by doing it in a contract year...:D

IF the story is true...

...It's outrageous that any NFL coach has to tell a professional football player to hit the weights. Weight-training is an integral part of avoiding injury and improving performance as a football player. It's pathetic that Shany would have to tell Tatum to work out with weights!! :D

IF the story is true...

...It's outrageous that any NFL coach has to tell a professional football player to hit the weights. Weight-training is an integral part of avoiding injury and improving performance as a football player. It's pathetic that Shany would have to tell Tatum to work out with weights!! :D

exactly....looks like I still won't be changing my tune on Tatum....

IF the story is true...

i doubt the conversation was like, "hey tatum, you know if you use weights to train with, your muscles will get bigger because they respond to stress".

"Really coach. Gee, thanks."

i doubt the conversation was like, "hey tatum, you know if you use weights to train with, your muscles will get bigger because they respond to stress".

"Really coach. Gee, thanks."

Nope, it was probably more like this:

"Coach, I want to be the man this year. I can carry the ball 30 times a game. Sit that fatass Dayne on the bench & use me like a rented mule."

"Tater, errr, Tatum, have you seen that your ypc from your first 10 carries a game to your second ten goes down faster than a whore on Saturday night? Have you seen that against a stacked line that my mom gains more yards than you? You need to get your sorry whiny ass out of here & into the weight room - NOW! Wait, first get me some pie, girlie."

"Coach, I want to be the man this year. I can carry the ball 30 times a game. Sit that fatass Dayne on the bench & use me like a rented mule."

"Tater, errr, Tatum, have you seen that your ypc from your first 10 carries a game to your second ten goes down faster than a whore on Saturday night? Have you seen that against a stacked line that my mom gains more yards than you? You need to get your sorry whiny ass out of here & into the weight room - NOW! Wait, first get me some pie, girlie."

:D

:D

+1 :D

Broncos | T. Bell told to hit the weights

Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:54:40 -0700

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan told Broncos RB Tatum Bell to hit the weights because Bell didn't run hard enough on short-yardage and goal-line plays. Bell averaged 5.3 yards a carry in each of his first two seasons, but his average in short-yardage runs has been only slightly more than 2 yards a carry. Bell is hoping by improving his short-yardage average he'll be able to beat out RB Ron Dayne to be the team's starting running back.

Okay, I'll admit it. I don't get it. If it's a short-yardage situation, isn't getting 2 yds a good thing? If 3 yds are needed, that's really not a short-yardage situation, right? And TBell is averaging 5.3 yds in those situations, right? So, what's wrong here?

Okay, I'll admit it. I don't get it. If it's a short-yardage situation, isn't getting 2 yds a good thing? If 3 yds are needed, that's really not a short-yardage situation, right? And TBell is averaging 5.3 yds in those situations, right? So, what's wrong here?

knowing Tatum Bell...he probably broke a 40 yd run and then had the rest be all under a yard at best...

This seems like the Tatum trash talking thread. I will admit I had him on my roster last year. I picked him up early thinking he would be the man. He did squat, that is until week 17. Unfortually that is our Super Bowl week, our FA pool had been frozen weeks ago and I was in a bind because I had players "resting" for the real playoffs. My only option to fill my roster was Tatum. :D WOW Three TD's later and I win the Super Bowl. I ain't gonna say I have man-love for the guy or will draft him this year but for that one day; "Tatum was the Man" :D

What Avernus said a couple of posts above, is correct.

Just to really lay it out, so it's completely clear.

To get a RB's short yardage average, you look at how many yards a RB achieved in short yardage situations, divide that by the number of short yardage opportunities the RB had and viola, there's your RB's short yardage average.

So the RB averages 2 ypc in short yardage situations. Sounds Ok right?

It is until you look at the individual carries that produced the RB's 2 ypc in those short yardage situations.

-1, 0, 0, 1, 2, -3, 4, 1, 2, -1, 0, 2, 1, -2, 1, 0, -3, 1, 0 & 35 yards.

The above numbers indeed average out to a 2 ypc in short yardage situations, but, as you can see, the reality is the 35 yard run has artificially inflated the RB's short yardage ypc.

This is one instance where you do want to take out the one long run, to get a more accurate picture of the RB's actual short yardage ability.

So what would the short yardage average of the RB be without that one 35 yard run?

0.26 ypc.

Out of the 20 3rd & short opportunities (2 yards), how many 1st downs would the RB have actually converted?

25%....not a good short yardage back!

That's Shanny's problem with Tinker Bell. It's why Mike Anderson beat him out of the starting RB gig last year and probably Dayne, Cobbs or Sapp will beat him out this year.

Definite Home Run Hitter :D , but currently not a good short yardage back. :D

I'm 99.9% sure the above is right, but I'll ask Bronco Billy (Huddles very own Bronco expert) to critique.

Tatum Bell, 2005 short yardage/goal line:

Week 1

1st & 3 @ O3 0 yds

2nd & 3 @ O3 0 yds

4th & 1 @ O 1 -1 yds

2nd & 1 @ O19 4 yds

Week 4

3rd & 1 @ D29 2 yds

Week 5

4th & 1 @ O34 34 yds/TD

3rd & 1 @ D40 2 yds

Week 6

2nd & 3 @ O3 3 yds/TD

3rd & 3 @ D27 -5 yds

Week 7

2nd & 5 @ O5 1 yd

3rd & 2 @ O39 11 yds

Week 8

4th & 3 @ O6 6 yds/TD

Week 10

3rd & 3 @ 50 -2 yds

1st & 6 @ O6 0 yds

3rd & 2 @ D28 2 yds

2nd & 3 @ O31 14 yds

Week 11

2nd & 3 @ O38 2 yds

3rd & 1 @ O36 4 yds

2nd & 1 @ O5 0 yds

2nd & 1 @ O40 5 yds

3rd & 2 @ O11 0 yds

Week 14

2nd & 2 @ O45 1 yd

3rd & 2 @ O26 1 yd

Week 15

2nd & 2 @ O47 8 yds

2nd & 1 @ O24 1 yd

3rd & 2 @ O18 1 yd

Week 16

2nd & 2 @ D40 3 yds

Week 17

1st & 6 @ O6 6 yds/TD

3rd & 1 @ D15 1 yd

TOTALS

29 carries for 104 yds 3.59 ypc 4 TDs 55% success rate

Gained 1 yd or less in short yardage: 48.3% of carries

Edited by Bronco Billy

Tatum Bell, 2005 short yardage/goal line:

29 carries for 104 yds 3.59 ypc 4 TDs 55% success rate[/b]

Interesting that Shanny is unhappy with Bell's 2 ypc short yardage running, while Bronco Billy's analysis shows Bell sporting a 3.59 ypc for short yardage running. :D

Someones a little off here?

Another stat to measure Bell, is his success rate at getting 1st downs on his runs, whether it be 2 yards needed for the 1st, 4 yards, 6 yards....whatever

Bell's success rate in that area was 43%.

Mike Anderson had a success rate of 55%.

Some other top backs and their success rates in converting the necessary yardage to get the 1st down.

Edge = 62%

Larry Johnson = 55%

Alexander = 54%

Rudi Johnson = 52%

Portis = 50%

Barber = 49%

Dillon = 49%

LT2 = 47%

Here's the link to RB's Success Rate at getting the necessary yardage required for 1st downs.

www.footballoutsiders.com

Interesting that Shanny is unhappy with Bell's 2 ypc short yardage running, while Bronco Billy's analysis shows Bell sporting a 3.59 ypc for short yardage running. :D

Someones a little off here?

I think Shanahan is probably talking about consistency. I know FF owners hate it when you throw out long runs, but Shanahan is talking about real world situations. If he throws out that 34 that Bell sprung for a TD that drops Bell immediately to a 2.5 ypc. I think the thing that really bugs Shanahan is that almost half of Bell's short yardage carries go for a yard or less - that's not the consistency that sustains drives, which is what the DEN O is all about.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Another stat to measure Bell, is his success rate at getting 1st downs on his runs, whether it be 2 yards needed for the 1st, 4 yards, 6 yards....whatever

Bell's success rate in that area was 43%.

Mike Anderson had a success rate of 55%.

Some other top backs and their success rates in converting the necessary yardage to get the 1st down.

Edge = 62%

Larry Johnson = 55%

Alexander = 54%

Rudi Johnson = 52%

Portis = 50%

Barber = 49%

Dillon = 49%

LT2 = 47%

Here's the link to RB's Success Rate at getting the necessary yardage required for 1st downs.

www.footballoutsiders.com

Interesting that Dayne would have the #3 DVOA rate on the list, while Bell's is #13. That would go a long ways in explaining why Dayne is currently listed as the #1 RB in DEN - Shanahan is seeing that Dayne is an effective & successful runner when running in the DEN backfield.