[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Randy Moss anyone?

bones1979

Type of year Randy Moss has  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Type of year Randy Moss has

• Great
    • Avg
    • Injured
    • other

wait until tomorrow and then you'll get a better poll than this, a couple dozen votes, and some analysis. it will be in big flashing lights PINNED at the top of this page. it's been going on for a few weeks with breakdowns on teams and oakland is tomorrow.

Great by his standards may not be the same as great for some other receiver. I don't think he'll have a career year, but he should do much better than last year.

I think he will justify his high ranking this year too (as opposed to last year). Still a top 5 WR IMHO.

This is a year where I would take a chance on Moss based on where he will be drafted. He is potentially a good value pick in my opinion.

This is a year where I would take a chance on Moss based on where he will be drafted. He is potentially a good value pick in my opinion.

I wouldn't take him any earlier than the 2nd round in a 12 team draft. I wouldn't take him over P. Manning or a solid #2 RB (like Westbrook). And I'd take a number of WRs before Moss, like Harrison, Holt, Steve Smith, and Chad Johnson. I suppose I rank Moss about the same as Boldin, Fitzgerald and Owens, which is to say he is a stud but there are negative factors I can't ignore (namely Moss hasn't be able to stay healthy for an entire season for a couple years now, and Aaron Brooks isn't exactly a clone of a healthy Culpepper). However, his age, potential, and strength of schedule are all very positive factors that prevent me from totally steering clear of him in the early rounds.

Edited by yo mama

I wouldn't take him any earlier than the 2nd round in a 12 team draft. I wouldn't take him over P. Manning or a solid #2 RB (like Westbrook). And I'd take a number of WRs before Moss, like Harrison, Holt, Steve Smith, and Chad Johnson. I suppose I rank Moss about the same as Boldin, Fitzgerald and Owens, which is to say he is a stud but there are negative factors I can't ignore (namely Moss hasn't be able to stay healthy for an entire season for a couple years now, and Aaron Brooks isn't exactly a clone of a healthy Culpepper). However, his age, potential, and strength of schedule are all very positive factors that prevent me from totally steering clear of him in the early rounds.

Actually I would be expecting him to be available AFTER all the names you mentioned, yet he has the potential to perform just as well or better. I'm not a big Moss fan, and I have never drafted him on one of my teams, but if he hangs around until the 3rd round................

Ya, I think 3rd rounder is about right. I expect him to him have around 1300 or so yards and 10-12 t.d.'s. I say Shell uses him a lot. I have no doubt that Brooks can get him the ball either. Hopefully the Raiders have improved O line play...unlike last season!

Actually I would be expecting him to be available AFTER all the names you mentioned, yet he has the potential to perform just as well or better. I'm not a big Moss fan, and I have never drafted him on one of my teams, but if he hangs around until the 3rd round................

I was doing some WR research last night and thought pretty much the same thing, at first. However, I ultimatley concluded that while Moss' perceived value (relative to past years) is way down in the eyes of most people there is probably at least one person in every league who will draft him higher than I would based on name recognition alone. I mean, were only 2 seasons removed from him being a consensus late first round pick. I've still got him ranked in my top 12 WRs. But he's not a WR I've got good vibes about, so I'm not going to reach for him. So far, however, I'm drafting around 1.10 and 1.11 in all my leagues. Since I wouldn't spend a 1st or early 2nd on Moss, and since it is highly unlikely he'd still be available at 3.10, I doubt he'll end up on any of my teams this year, regardless. But for someone drafting at 1.1 through 1.4, it might something of a dilema whether or not he's worth a late 2nd rounder, or if you gamble on letting him slide by to see if he makes it to your next, early 3rd round pick.

Edited by yo mama

last thing i heard he was trying to get ut of oakland by saying Oak was never his 1st choice. I would stay tunned untill training camp compl.... Even though they both have immense tallent, yet crappy attitudes.. TO does not take plays off or quits in the middle of the game like Moss... that is a major knock against Moss.. and i dont see Oak winning that many more games this year.. so it's just a matter of time before moss starts bitc_hing again

Edited by oraphus

I've mentioned it in a previous post about Aaron Brooks being able to buy time with his feet and the fact that he has always had a knack for zeroing in on one WR most of the time (ie Horn and not Stallworth). He will probably throw to Moss even if he is double teamed, and we know how well that worked for C-Pep in his first year as the Vikings starter. Also a note of interest is that Oakland will be playing alot of catch up football all season with one of the most difficult defensive schedules against the run and have a real nice FFL playoff schedule when they play at Cincy (shootout), St Louis at home (No Defense/Shootout) and wrap up most FFL Championship week with Kansas City at home(No Defense/Shootout). I have the #10 pick and might take him 2:01 after I get my Stud RB. He might be huge come FFL playoff weeks as opposed to some of the other "elite" WR's who face more difficult matchups during those weeks. :D

I've mentioned it in a previous post about Aaron Brooks being able to buy time with his feet and the fact that he has always had a knack for zeroing in on one WR most of the time (ie Horn and not Stallworth). He will probably throw to Moss even if he is double teamed, and we know how well that worked for C-Pep in his first year as the Vikings starter. Also a note of interest is that Oakland will be playing alot of catch up football all season with one of the most difficult defensive schedules against the run and have a real nice FFL playoff schedule when they play at Cincy (shootout), St Louis at home (No Defense/Shootout) and wrap up most FFL Championship week with Kansas City at home(No Defense/Shootout). I have the #10 pick and might take him 2:01 after I get my Stud RB. He might be huge come FFL playoff weeks as opposed to some of the other "elite" WR's who face more difficult matchups during those weeks. :D

Great post ghengis_chan, sounds like someone has been doing his homework! :D

He might be huge come FFL playoff weeks as opposed to some of the other "elite" WR's who face more difficult matchups during those weeks. :D

The only elite WRs with tough playoff schedules are Steve Smith (NYG PIT @ATL) and Torry Holt (CHI @OAK WAS). Boldin/Fitz (SEA DEN @SF) and Harrison (@JAX CIN @HOU) each have relatively favorable playoff schedules. Chad Johnson's isn't bad at all (OAK @IND @DEN). And while Owens' could be better (NO @ATL PHI), it's hardly a death sentence. While I agree that Moss does have a nice playoff schedule (@CIN STL KC), it's not like he isn't the only elite WR that has one.

As a side note, guys like Darrell Jackson (@ARZ SF SD), Chris Chambers (NE @BUF NYJ), Donald Driver (@SF DET MIN) also have nice playoff schedules.

The only elite WRs with tough playoff schedules are Steve Smith (NYG PIT @ATL) and Torry Holt (CHI @OAK WAS). Boldin/Fitz (SEA DEN @SF) and Harrison (@JAX CIN @HOU) each have relatively favorable playoff schedules. Chad Johnson's isn't bad at all (OAK @IND @DEN). And while Owens' could be better (NO @ATL PHI), it's hardly a death sentence. While I agree that Moss does have a nice playoff schedule (@CIN STL KC), it's not like he isn't the only elite WR that has one.

As a side note, guys like Darrell Jackson (@ARZ SF SD), Chris Chambers (NE @BUF NYJ), Donald Driver (@SF DET MIN) also have nice playoff schedules.

No offense guys, but I never make draft choices based on schedules. Things change so rapidly from year to year in the NFL and team defenses are tough to predict. If you're a stud you're a stud period. And right now Randy Moss is no longer a stud based on his last two injury filled seasons. Sure, he could blow up and play like the old Randy but will he? Let some other owner draft him higher than he should be picked. It just gives me more choices. :D

Yo mama, I don't disagree with what you are saying, you make some good points as far as the other "elite" WR's schedules are concerned. How many of those elite WR's teams will be playing catch-up like Oakland from the opening coin toss? Smith has a good Defense to limit opponents scoring, Carolina likes to run when they are ahead, Boldin?Fritz has some downside with Edge coming on board, you won't see both with another 100 receptions this year, TO will only get 75-80 Receptions per Parcells, Will Harrison be benched after clinching home field or at halftime during the Houston game when it's 28-6?...Holt could do well if Bulger stays healthy, but I don't like the Chicago matchup even at home and you'll see a much improved D in Wash this year...All I.m saying is high risk/high reward for Moss and I always make "sitting on the fence" decisions based on strength of schedule, esp FFL playoff weeks.....6 League Championships in 12 years and 8 original Team Owners from inception...Most are die-hard backstabbers when it comes to FF....LOL

How many of those elite WR's teams will be playing catch-up like Oakland from the opening coin toss?

Yeah, I know. You generally want good WRs and QBs on teams with bad defenses; no argument there. But Moss 11 picks in (you did say you were considering him at 2.1 in a 10 team league, right?) seems absurd to me for a guy who has averaged less than 55 receptions and 900 receiving yards over the last two years. His TD totals have remained impressive (averaging better than 10 each of the last two seasons, despite missing time), so I totally see the upside if he were remain healty for 16 games. But with his injury history and the such, I just see no reason to reach for him that early.

I'm also unconvinved that Brooks is much of an upgrade over Collins, as they had very similar, very crappy completion percentages last year (55.7% and 53.5%, respectively). Brooks' added mobility is a plus. But Brooks also threw more INTs (17, tied for 2nd worst in the NFL last) than Collins (12), despite the fact that Brooks played two fewer games (13) than Collins (15). Moreover, given Randy's pathetic 49% reception ratio last year, I don't really care so much if the Raiders are playing from behind as much as I care if Randy can still catch the ball.

Add it all up and, like I said, I just don't get a good vibe from Moss this year. Though, I'd seriously consider him maybe 25-30 picks in.

Edited by yo mama

At 2:01 he is a bit of a stretch, Our league voted last year to implement a RB/WR Flex option where you can start 1 RB and 3 WR's instead of the usual 2 RB's and 2 WR's. This is a mandatory TE League and we didn't want to de-value the TE position by using a WR/TE Flex option. Knowing the draft tendancies of most of our league members I should still be able to get another RB at 3:10 and am thinking Gates at 4:01 to give me TE position edge. After the first 12 RB's are off the board their value quickly drops, a Top Tier WR will be a huge advantage whether it's Moss, CJ, TO, Holt , Fitz or Marvin. I know none of the top 10 WR's will be there 30 picks in. Taking the first WR in my league ALWAYS starts the run on them, (same as TE's With Gates and the other top tier TE's). A lot of our owners try to get their QB in the first 4 rounds or so , that helps cuz it will leave better pickins for my RB3 or WR2, I usually don't draft a QB until the 6th or 7th round (and still do pretty good as long as I take my 2nd QB in the 8th or 9th and play the matchups). If Gates isn't there at 4:01 I'll take RB3 or WR2 depending on their base value. Again this is just my opinion and logic (flawed or not), it's a pleasure to exchange thoughts, opinions and ideas with all of you Huddlers. Got nothing better to do until kickoff !!!! :D

Edited by ghengis_chan