[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2 Steelers Articles

Menudo

I know, I know, Menudo made a post about Steeler articles, run away, run away, but, these involve two players of some fantasy impact. The news on Roethlisberger really couldn't be any better at this point, he is one lucky young man.

Also of note, is the Steelers won the ESPY for Best Team, and Cowher one for best coach. :D (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Ben Was Told He Was Close To Dying

Article about Ben & Holmes

Big Ben was told he was close to dying

Roethlisberger's first interview since his motorcycle accident

Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Associated Press

Chris Carlson, Associated Press

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger joins his teammates on stage after they accepted the award for Best Team last night at the 2006 ESPY Awards in Los Angeles.

Click photo for larger image.

Related article

Surprise: Big Ben shows up at ESPYs

BRISTOL, Conn. -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said last night that he was told he was "seconds, maybe a minute away from dying" immediately after his motorcycle accident last month.

Roethlisberger, in his first interview since the June 12 accident, told ESPN's "SportsCenter" that he doesn't remember much about the accident when he rammed his motorcycle into a car that was making a left turn in front of him on a Pittsburgh street. He did, however, remember what he was told by people at the scene.

"They told me that I was literally seconds, maybe a minute away from dying because I slit a vein or artery in my mouth or my throat and it was draining blood right into my stomach and luckily the paramedic noticed it and stopped it or else I would have had too much blood in my stomach," he said in Los Angeles, where he was for the taping of the ESPY Awards.

"I remember very few things about the accident," Roethlisberger said. "I remember one car turning in front of me, I don't remember the car that hit me, but I remember that first car turning in front of me and the next thing I remember is being in the ambulance and asking, 'Is this really happening?'

"I said, 'Tell me this is just a bad dream,' and he said, 'No, everything is going to be OK,' and he asked me, 'Is there anyone you want me to call?' ... I just gave him two numbers and I don't remember anything until I woke up from surgery."

Roethlisberger underwent seven hours of surgery to repair a broken jaw and other facial bones. Tests showed no brain injuries, although he had a mild concussion. He also lost two teeth and chipped several others.

He was cited for not wearing a helmet when the accident happened.

"That day I wasn't, I forgot it. I literally forgot it," he said. "You know there are times that, people that have been making a big deal for the last couple years about me riding first of all, and then me riding without a helmet, but it's one of those things that I ride with a helmet also. I do a little bit of both. If you don't wear a seat belt every time you ride in the car should I label you as a person who doesn't wear a seat belt? And unfortunately I happened to not have it on that day because I forgot it in the basement."

Roethlisberger said he didn't know if he would ride a motorcycle again.

"I don't know. I am not even thinking about that right now," he said. "To me, right now, like I said when I first started thinking about things, I started thinking about my family. Now that I am doing better and I feel good, now all I am thinking about is football and that is what is on my mind right now. I am getting healthy and I am getting better every day so all I am thinking about is football. I am not thinking about anything else."

He is scheduled to play in a celebrity golf tournament this weekend in Lake Tahoe, Nev.

Including the postseason, the Steelers are 27-4 with Roethlisberger at quarterback. They advanced to the AFC championship game in both his seasons as a starter, winning the Super Bowl in January.

The Steelers won the ESPY for best team and Roethlisberger joined his teammates and coach Bill Cowher onstage to accept the award. It was his first public appearance since the accident.

He didn't appear backstage to talk to reporters.

Surprise: Big Ben shows up at ESPYs

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Chris Carlson, Associated Press

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger speaks with his teammates after they won the award for Best Team at the 2006 ESPY Awards last night.

By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

LOS ANGELES -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger made his first public appearance last night since his June motorcycle accident.

Roethlisberger attended ESPN's ESPY awards show at the Kodak Theater in Hollywood and left little doubt he will be ready to lead the Steelers in their Super Bowl defense.

Roethlisberger looked healthy and happy when he made a surprise appearance at the end of the show, which was taped last night but will not be shown on ESPN until Sunday night.

The Steelers won the award for the "Best Team," and coach Bill Cowher, along with a number of players -- Joey Porter, Jerome Bettis, Ike Taylor, Antwaan Randle El (who has since signed with Washington), Hines Ward -- took the stage. Bettis took the microphone and introduced Roethlisberger, who received a standing ovation as he walked across the stage.

Related articles

Related articles

Big Ben was told he was close to dying

14th annual ESPY Award's list

Roethlisberger addressed the audience briefly, saying that he understands how fortunate he is, that he regrets his decision to ride a motorcycle without a helmet and that he will learn from the incident and put it behind him.

After the show, Bettis said it was great to see Roethlisberger back in public because there has been so much discussion about the accident.

"It was important for Ben to be out there because he was a big part of our success," Bettis said. "But he's also a big part of our future. He is going to be leading this football team for a lot of years to come.

"I think everybody who watches will be so happy to see him, to see him speak and to see how good he is feeling and just knowing he is not limping or anything like I that, I think everybody will be happy."

Cowher, who has been fairly quiet on the issue of Roethlisberger's accident and also won the "Best Coach Award," echoed Bettis' sentiments.

He said the fact that Roethlisberger walked out on stage and publicly spoke about the accident is a good indication that he is ready to get on with his life. And, even though Roethlisberger ignored Cowher's warnings about the dangers of riding without a helmet, Cowher's approach has been that sometimes life is the best teacher and there is nothing he needs to say that Roethlisberger doesn't already know.

"These are all like my kids, we are like a family and what he went through was very scary for a lot of people," Cowher said. "He is a very fortunate and lucky young man, and he's the first -- as he said tonight -- to acknowledge that. Sometimes, you just have to learn, and the good news is he is back. Those things all have a way of putting things back in their proper perspective.

"I think people need to understand -- nobody needs to say anything to Ben, he understands and he knows what he needs to do. At the same token, I told him, he is a good person and he is a free-spirited kid and he plays the football game that way and I don't want that to change. There is a fine line with the way you have to live your life, but sometimes we have to learn lessons the hard way. Those are the best lessons we can learn in life sometimes.

"The bottom line is, he is very fortunate and now he'll be a great mentor for others. Anyone who is a parent understands that sometimes kids are free-spirited and they are young and those aren't always bad qualities, particularly on the football field."

Actor Mark Wahlberg, one of the presenters, poked some fun at Roethlisberger. Before he announced the "Best Team" award, he looked out into the crowd and said to Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade, "Teams are about rising up together, not one individual riding around on his motorcycle in the offseason. Dwyane -- don't you get any ideas about riding a motorcycle without a helmet."

While Cowher celebrated Roethlisberger's recovery, the team must continue to sort through the legal troubles of first-round draft choice Santonio Holmes, who has been arrested twice since he was drafted, including his most recent arrest on charges of domestic violence.

Porter, Ward and Bettis all believe that Holmes will have some choices to make once he gets into the fold, but they are confident that they can take him under their wing and lead him down the right path. Cowher said he hasn't talked much with Holmes about his legal problems, but he said they are a concern.

"I haven't had a chance to talk with him, but I do know we are under scrutiny, we are in the public eye and with that comes a responsibility," Cowher said. "And you better be ready to accept that responsibility. Certainly, there are circumstances that happen, but you have to make sure you don't put yourself into it and you learn from it. Hopefully, he will learn from them because that's the kind of scrutiny you don't want.

"Hopefully, he'll understand that and learn from that because this is not the kind of attention we want."

Porter is confident neither incident will have a lingering affect on the team, and he believes they have been blown somewhat out of proportion because the Steelers' status as reigning Super Bowl champions .

"That all comes with the territory. When you are the champs, a lot of people pay a whole lot more attention to you," Porter said. "It is something that we know is going to be there all year, it is something that we are going to have to deal with. All eyes are on us, but that's what it is when you are the champs.

"And Ben is a big guy, he will be bounce back," Porter said. "I'm sure he's happy to get through it for the most part healthy. The big thing is I think he's learned from his mistake. It is something that happened, it was unfortunate but now he just needs to make sure he moves on."

Porter has not spoken to Holmes, but said there is no reason to write the rookie off as a bad apple because he hasn't had a chance to join the team and benefit from the many positive influences in the Steelers' locker room.

He said there is always a learning process for a rookie, especially one who is a first-round draft pick and he's confident that once he gets started in his career he'll make better choices than he has in the past six months.

Ward agreed.

"Trust me, once we get him in the fold, we'll get him headed in the right direction," Ward said.

"These are some unfortunate situations, but there is a way we do things [in the Steelers' locker room] and we'll teach him. He is a great talent and he can really help us, so just need to get the other stuff worked out."

"That day I wasn't, I forgot it. I literally forgot it," he said. "You know there are times that, people that have been making a big deal for the last couple years about me riding first of all, and then me riding without a helmet, but it's one of those things that I ride with a helmet also. I do a little bit of both. If you don't wear a seat belt every time you ride in the car should I label you as a person who doesn't wear a seat belt? And unfortunately I happened to not have it on that day because I forgot it in the basement."

This paragraph still tells me he still doesn't get. Stop deflecting the responsibilty and rationalizing it by comparing it to seat belts. I think the vast majority of people who use seatbelts, use them 100% of the time. In fact, I would feel like something is missing if it wasn't on. I doubt he does a little of both. Why would you decide to wear a helmet one day and not the next? Admit it was stupid and either say "I'm still going to ride the same way" or "I've learned my lesson".

This paragraph still tells me he still doesn't get. Stop deflecting the responsibilty and rationalizing it by comparing it to seat belts. I think the vast majority of people who use seatbelts, use them 100% of the time. In fact, I would feel like something is missing if it wasn't on. I doubt he does a little of both. Why would you decide to wear a helmet one day and not the next? Admit it was stupid and either say "I'm still going to ride the same way" or "I've learned my lesson".

I agree.

He is a moron. /story

looks like the same can be said about holmes...

HOLMES IGNORES "BIG BEN"

Pittsburgh Steelers QB BEN ROETHLISBERGER has revealed that he's

made attempts to establish a rapport with first-round pick WR

SANANTONIO HOLMES but that the rookie has not returned any of his

phone calls. Roethlisberger has even made it a point to leave

messages for Holmes after hearing reports of his multiple arrests.

"I've reached out to Santonio, kind of like [Jerome Bettis] did to

me," Roethlisberger said. "I gave him my numbers, told him to call

me, and when he got into trouble, I called him a bunch of times and

left a bunch of messages for him, and he has never called me back,

so I don't know how to take it. If he wants me to help him and wants

me to take him under my wing, I'll do that, but it is his call, now,

not mine. The ball is in his court, so to speak, but I think he'll

be okay and, hopefully, he'll get to camp and get his head screwed

on straight." Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

He's been in the league for two years, and he's ready to take guys "under his wing"? :D

I think his play, leadership, and success have made him ready for this role quickly. Solid QB's are leaders in general. Just think, in two years, he's already accomplished something that both a former and current legendary QB have not. :D

Edited by Menudo

sorry menudo, but screw big ben. :D

some people are treating him like he just battled back from hodgkins disease to play again. let's get this straight: he did something stupid, got hurt (unfortunately), and has made a speedy recovery, which is great for him and steeler fans, but means squat in the grand scheme. at the espys, when the steelers won team of the year (spoiler alert), cowher, bus, ward, randle-el were all on stage getting the award, and then bettis made an announcement that a "special guest" was here, making his first public appearance...and big ben walked out. i think espn./steelers thought he'd get some kind of rousing ovation, like when mario lemieux took the ice again. not a soul stood up, and there was polite applause. zzzzzzz.....

jason mcelwain? he got TWO rousing standing ovations, and deserved both. big ben deserves no credit for anything, except (i will say this) for acknowledging when he got on-stage that j-mac was the real hero that night, which i thought was a very classy statement on ben's part .

just my 2¢...

edit to add that santonio sounds like a dope. he's coming into a great situation for him -- no true, established #2 wr in pitt, competition wide open -- and he's blowing it.

Edited by msaint

I think his play, leadership, and success have made him ready for this role quickly. Solid QB's are leaders in general. Just think, in two years, he's already accomplished something that both a former and current legendary QB have not. :D

Worst QB rating by a SB winner ever?

Edited by CaptainHook

Roethlisberger is a complete Megan Foxbag.

The only people that think any differently is Manudo, who wants to find out if he really is "Big" Ben, and his ilk.

wah, wah. :D I was close to dying. :D

And saying that he even has "some" fantasy impact is a reach.

Edited by Furd

Roethlisberger is a complete Megan Foxbag.

The only people that think any differently is Manudo, who wants to find out if he really is "Big" Ben, and his ilk.

wah, wah. :D I was close to dying. :D

And saying that he even has "some" fantasy impact is a reach.

Agreed. Seconds from dying my ass.

The EMT is trained in ABC. Roeth was bleeding in the oral cavity (he had lost some teeth and probably had lacs in there)...the EMT needs to clear the mouth.

BIG F()CKING DEAL.

Realistically, you would not exsanguinate from a breach in a vessel in the mouth...they just aren't big enough. And, if your stomach fills with blood, you will puke it out. Emergently, if the blood goes into your trachea, that is much more of a problem. However, Ben said the blood was going into his tummy, not his lungs.

Doesn't make any sense medically.

Ghey, histrionic statement.

Edited by MojoMan

Worst QB rating by a SB winner ever?

.....and even still had the best QB Rating amongst all QB's in this past year's playoffs, Super Bowl included. His rating in the playoff games that got them their was like 149.

Also, who had a higher QB Rating in the Divisional playoffs ? Ben or Manning........ You were there weren't you ? Perhaps you've forgotten, I'll do you a favor.

January 15th, 2006

:yay: <- An excited CaptainHook, grabs his popcorn and beer and take his seat at the RCA dome.

:tup: <- CaptainHook laughs, as he hears a Steeler fan say that his team has a chance.

::lock: <- He is not worried after Ben hits Randle-El for the TD, putting the Steeles up 7-0.

:bio: <- Manning looks awful, and the Steelers go right down and Ben hits Miller for the TD, 14-0.

:sick: <- The Colts cannot convert on a goaline drive, and have to settle for 3, 14-3 Steelers at the half.

:D <- Colts fans remind themselves that the first half was a fluke, and this was far from over.

:lock: <- The Steelers once again are dominant, Bettis runs in the TD, and the Steelers go up 21-3

:D <- CaptainHook gets excited, as the Colts show life, Manning to Clark 50 yard TD, 21-10

:yay: <- Their hope quickly turns into despair, as Polamalu picks off Manning, this one's over.

:D <- But wait, the call is overturned, and the Colts have new life.

:D <- CaptainHook goes crazy, as Edge runs in the TD, and the 2 Pt. Coversion makes it 21-18.

:D <- After getting the ball back, Porter gets two sacks and the Steelers take over 1st & Goal

:D <- Bettis fumbles, it's picked up by Harper, but, Ben makes the game-saving tackle.

:D <- The drama is killing Hook, as Vanderjagt lines up for the game-tying field goal.

:D <- Vanderjagt misses wide-right, the Colts dream season has come to an end.

:D <- Tears stream from Hook's face on his drive home, how could this be ?

:sick: <- CaptainHook realizes he is going to have to deal with an obnoxious Menudo on the Huddle.

:lock: <- 5 months later, the memories of that day still fill CaptainHook's brain on a daily basis.

:D <- CaptainHook must now wait to see who Peyton Manning chokes against this year.

:D < 2020, Peyton Manning is long gone, and Hook still waits for that Colts championship season.

The End.

:D <- Bettis fumbles, it's picked up by Harper, but, Ben makes the game-saving tackle.

Um, let's not get carried away and call it a "tackle" -- he stumbled backwards the right way. :D

Um, let's not get carried away and call it a "tackle" -- he stumbled backwards the right way. :D

He got enough of his leg to make him go down, therefore, yes, it is a tackle. :D

sorry menudo, but screw big ben. :D

some people are treating him like he just battled back from hodgkins disease to play again. let's get this straight: he did something stupid, got hurt (unfortunately), and has made a speedy recovery, which is great for him and steeler fans, but means squat in the grand scheme. at the espys, when the steelers won team of the year (spoiler alert), cowher, bus, ward, randle-el were all on stage getting the award, and then bettis made an announcement that a "special guest" was here, making his first public appearance...and big ben walked out. i think espn./steelers thought he'd get some kind of rousing ovation, like when mario lemieux took the ice again. not a soul stood up, and there was polite applause. zzzzzzz.....

jason mcelwain? he got TWO rousing standing ovations, and deserved both. big ben deserves no credit for anything, except (i will say this) for acknowledging when he got on-stage that j-mac was the real hero that night, which i thought was a very classy statement on ben's part .

just my 2¢...

edit to add that santonio sounds like a dope. he's coming into a great situation for him -- no true, established #2 wr in pitt, competition wide open -- and he's blowing it.

So, you are blaming Big Ben for the way the media and people are reacting to his recovery ?

January 15th, 2006

:yay: <- An excited CaptainHook, grabs his popcorn and beer and take his seat at the RCA dome.

:tup: <- CaptainHook laughs, as he hears a Steeler fan say that his team has a chance.

::lock: <- He is not worried after Ben hits Randle-El for the TD, putting the Steeles up 7-0.

:bio: <- Manning looks awful, and the Steelers go right down and Ben hits Miller for the TD, 14-0.

:sick: <- The Colts cannot convert on a goaline drive, and have to settle for 3, 14-3 Steelers at the half.

:D <- Colts fans remind themselves that the first half was a fluke, and this was far from over.

:lock: <- The Steelers once again are dominant, Bettis runs in the TD, and the Steelers go up 21-3

:D <- CaptainHook gets excited, as the Colts show life, Manning to Clark 50 yard TD, 21-10

:yay: <- Their hope quickly turns into despair, as Polamalu picks off Manning, this one's over.

:D <- CaptainHook goes crazy, as Edge runs in the TD, and the 2 Pt. Coversion makes it 21-18.

:D <- After getting the ball back, Porter gets two sacks and the Steelers take over 1st & Goal

:D <- The drama is killing Hook, as Vanderjagt lines up for the game-tying field goal.

:sick: <- CaptainHook realizes he is going to have to deal with an obnoxious Menudo on the Huddle.

:lock: <- 5 months later, the memories of that day still fill CaptainHook's brain on a daily basis.

:D <- CaptainHook must now wait to see who Peyton Manning chokes against this year.

:D < 2020, Peyton Manning is long gone, and Hook still waits for that Colts championship season.

The End.

I like it better than poetry.

So, you are blaming Big Ben for the way the media and people are reacting to his recovery ?

I blame his stubborn refusal to admit that he should have been wearing a helmet. And if I were him, I would have been embarrased to walk out on stage like that, as if he'd miraculously returned from some unjust illness, and instead said, "No, that's a dumb thing to do. I should not be celebrated for doing what I did."

Edited by msaint

I blame his stubborn refusal to admit that he should have been wearing a helmet. And if I were him, I would have been embarrased to walk out on stage like that, as if he'd miraculously returned from some unjust illness, and instead said, "No, that's a dumb thing to do. I should not be celebrated for doing what I did."

agreed

January 15th, 2006

The End.

The 3rd time you posted this.....