[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Starting TWO QBs each week....

i_am_the_swammi

In oneof my leagues, we are required to start two QBs each week. Additionally, all TDs score 6 points, including TD passes, which puts even more emphasis on having two solid QBs each and every week.

With this in mind, what are your thoughts on where your QBs should be drafted, as opposed to a traditional 1-QB league?

Its an 8-team league, meaning that 16 QBs are started every week. Since four NFL teams are on the bye each week, it essentailly means that 16 of the 28 QBs left out there are starting in our league. ANd because its just an 8-team league, there are always decent RBs available in rounds 4-6...this year, I see Chester Taylor, Curtis Martin, Corey Dillon, Duece, etc. as all being available in Rounds 4-6.

Would you take your QBs earlier in the draft, making sure you locked up 2 of the top 10-12, in order to gain a distinct advantage over the other teams scrambling each week over which mediocre QB to start? Or would you continue to hold fast to the rule-of-thumb that you can always grab QBs later (rounds 5-9)

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

8 team league is not so bad. the top 16 QBs might only be separated by 80 points by year's end. The top 16 RBs might be separated by 200 points by year's end. The only switch I might make is a QB in round 3 instead of WR or best avail.

The big change would be needing at least 3 QB's in the draft as you are going to have to plan for a bye week.

QB's become a little more valuable. Guys like Manning may go in round two versus later in one QB leagues.

An 8 team league is about getting studs in every position because of the amount of talent on each team. If everyone is taking QB's early, you can feast on RB's and WR's and then get your QB's. Start runs don't follow them!!

Based on our scoring, here are the Top 16 QBs from last year (separated by 130 points):

Palmer, Carson QB 316.0

Manning, Peyton QB 288.0

Brady, Tom QB 288.0

Manning, Eli QB 258.0

Hasselbeck, Matt QB 256.0

Brees, Drew QB NO 244.0

Bledsoe, Drew QB 240.0

Collins, Kerry QB 238.0

Delhomme, Jake QB 234.0

Plummer, Jake QB 232.0

Green, Trent QB 230.0

Vick, Michael QB 230.0

Brunell, Mark QB 220.0

Favre, Brett QB GB 196.0

McNair, Steve QB 190.0

Frerotte, Gus QB 186.0

And here are the top 16 RBs (separated by 187 points):

Alexander, Shaun RB 343.0

Tomlinson, LaDainian RB 314.0

Johnson, Larry RB 311.0

Barber, Tiki RB 292.0

James, Edgerrin RB 259.0

Portis, Clinton RB 231.0

Johnson, Rudi RB 217.0

Jordan, LaMont RB 212.0

Anderson, Mike RB 187.0

Jackson, Steven RB 184.0

Jones, Thomas RB 179.0

Dunn, Warrick RB 166.0

Davis, Domanick RB 163.0

Parker, Willie RB 158.0

Dillon, Corey RB 157.0

McGahee, Willis RB 156.0

After the Top 8 RBs, it appears the rest of the middle tier RBs are essentially the same, separated by just 30 points. However, after the Top 8 QBs, the next tier is are separated by almost 50 points, with anther 6-8 QBs just below the break-off point.

Remembering that this is just an 8-team league, it seems that grabbing a top RB in round 1 is a given, but that grabbing a two top QBs with the next two picks might be the way to go to ensure solid QB play. Grabbing a 2nd RB in round 4 (which still should be a RB ranked 14-18) would still ensure a solid RB attack (say, LT & Dunn/Westbrook/Parker/DD/Jones/Dillon), and then still be able to fill-in solid-but-not spectacular WRs in rounds 5 & 6.

Thoughts?

Depending on where you draft I might still lookat getting two RB's right away and then looking QB then WR (don't have your WR points available so can't compare)

Your QB's don't drop off like the RB's do! Again it will depend on what the other owners are doing. You are going to find depth no matter what.

Your waiver wire will be full of great players too!

If there is a run on RB's after you get your first one go for the QB's (if you can get 2 top five QB's it will be huge). However, if there is a huge run on QB's that will leave a stud RB there and a stud WR too. You could then get your QB's while everyone else is nabbing RB/WR's

I am in a 10-person redraft league that starts two QBs. I will try to grab my first QB in the second round if one of the top tier ones are left on the board. If the top tier guys are all gone I will sit and wait until the 4th or later. The rb and wr depth falls off in the middle tiers a lot faster than the qb depth so you are usually safe if you wait for a bit to draft a qb.

I am in a 10 team keeper league that allows a universial flex position. Most guys use a 2nd QB but some use an RB or even a WR on bye weeks. This year 11 QBs are most likely going to be kept. I will wind up keeping 3 RBs (S. Jackson, T. Barber, and L. Jordan) and look to get a QB at the end of round one. Who do you guys like as "sleepers" this year?

I'm in a ten team league that starts 2 QBs. When my league started up seven years ago, the thought with two QBS (3 RBS, 4WRS) is to get as many players playing so when you watch the games on sunday you always have players going.

Over the years we decided to keep the format because while it is not "just like an NFL Lineup" you really do have to have a good draft strategy to survive and win.

We have had a couple of new guys join the league and we have found it really takes two years for them to figure out how to draft with our line-up configuration. I like that my league is different from the standard line-up leagues.

I just have to know why ANY league would start 2 QBs? The NFL doesnt, so why does anyone else.

IMO this is the dumbest league format in fantasy football history, congradulations for playing in a special league!

Yes, we are special....

But on that point, no NFL teams start 2 tailbacks, either...they start a tailback and fullback. Is your league "realistic" in that you start a tailback and fullback, or do you also play in a speacial league?? :D

According to last years' stats, of the top 16 RBs, your league had 4 elite RBs, 2 very good RBs, 2 good RBs and 8 largely interchangeable RBs.

And, your league had 3 elite QBs, 10 largely interchangeable ones and then 3 after-thoughts.

ASSUMING THAT THIS IS A PRETTY TYPICAL DISTRIBUTION FOR YOUR LEAGUE (which may be a hugh assumption), I'd target an elite or very good RB in round 1, and if you couldn't get one, then I'd look to lock-down an elite QB.

It would seem to me that QB / 2 RBs & 2 WRs / QB would be a decent approach for your first six rounds ... as long as your 2nd QB would still be one of the "largely interchangeable" ones, and not an after-thought.

I just have to know why ANY league would start 2 QBs? The NFL doesnt, so why does anyone else.

IMO this is the dumbest league format in fantasy football history, congradulations for playing in a special league!

The NFL doesn't give you a point for 10 yards rushing either. There are a million different scoring / lineup variations in FF. Makes it fun and interesting to customize your drafting strategies for different scoring systems. IMO it's more dumb to always play in leagues that score the same. Expand your brain, think outside the box, motherwakawakaer.

In oneof my leagues, we are required to start two QBs each week. Additionally, all TDs score 6 points, including TD passes, which puts even more emphasis on having two solid QBs each and every week.

With this in mind, what are your thoughts on where your QBs should be drafted, as opposed to a traditional 1-QB league?

Its an 8-team league, meaning that 16 QBs are started every week. Since four NFL teams are on the bye each week, it essentailly means that 16 of the 28 QBs left out there are starting in our league. ANd because its just an 8-team league, there are always decent RBs available in rounds 4-6...this year, I see Chester Taylor, Curtis Martin, Corey Dillon, Duece, etc. as all being available in Rounds 4-6.

Would you take your QBs earlier in the draft, making sure you locked up 2 of the top 10-12, in order to gain a distinct advantage over the other teams scrambling each week over which mediocre QB to start? Or would you continue to hold fast to the rule-of-thumb that you can always grab QBs later (rounds 5-9)

I would most definitely take QBs earlier. If I drafted 6th or later, I'd target Manning in the 1st round. I think this is correct for any league that gives 6 points for TDs. Then I'd probably go RB, WR, then see if I could land a Trent Green, Delhomme or Warner in the 4th. Actually if by chance a top 5 QB were available in the 3rd (Palmer, Eli, Brady), I'd strongly consider taking one there, then going for RBs and WRs from then on. I'd also target 2 QB sleepers in the later rounds....Simms, Rivers, Leftwich, Carr, etc. You can gain a significant advantage by exploiting the 2 QB option and 6 points for passing TDs, especially if your opponents treat it like any other league and give less weight to the QB position.

I've been playing in a 2QB 10-team league and love it. Lots of added strategy.

With 8 teams, and the fact that the QB talent pool is generally less polorized than other positions, you should see plenty of great options. That said, you need to consider runs on the position. In my experience, coaches realize they actually need 3 QBs and huge runs begin.

This year, I'd imagine after Peyton their will be a slight lull, then you will see a run on the rest of the top tier by round 4.

By round 7-8, you'll see guys like Delhomme and Vick get picked. That's where I feel people make a mistake. There is so much comprable mediocrity in there that people end up wondering why they grabbed Plummer in the 8th. You could have probably get

My advice would be to make sure you get a tier 1 QB, maybe start the run - then you can wait until after the mid round run and grab up 2 QBs with upside post-round 10. (i.e. Kitna and Carr) One of them is likely to develop in to a suitable #2 and you won't have passed up on Housh.