[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Good news for Deuce & Bush

rajncajn

Saints sign Karney to four-year extension

Saints sign Karney to four-year extension

Fullback excited about new offense

Friday, July 14, 2006

By Mike Triplett

The Saints have made many renovations to their roster this offseason, parting ways with several veteran players in the process.

But Thursday, they signed fullback Mike Karney to a four-year contract extension, targeting the third-year pro as one of their players for the future.

"I was just elated about it," said Karney, a fifth-round draft pick out of Arizona State in 2004 who is entering the final season of his original three-year contract.

"Normally, I think what happens when you get a new staff in, they'd usually like to evaluate you further," Karney said. "But I think I showed them enough in the offseason that they wanted me to be a part of their future. And not just the coaching staff, but the management wanted me around for the next few years while we build this organization back up and build this city back up. I'm looking forward to doing that."

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but Karney said the negotiating process was smooth during the past few weeks.

Karney, 25, said it was a "pleasant surprise" when the Saints let him and his agent know they were interested in getting a deal done before the season.

"We are really pleased to have Mike under contract to the Saints for the next five years," General Manager Mickey Loomis said. "He is an outstanding fullback and a great 'team' guy.

"I am happy for Mike as well. He is one of the hardest working players you will find and is always looking to get better."

Karney, 5 feet 11, 258 pounds, became a full-time starter during his rookie season and has started 22 games in two seasons.

Primarily a blocking back, Karney has carried the ball nine times for 19 yards and caught 16 passes for 103 yards in his career. But he said he is excited about the new, West Coast-style offense being implemented by Coach Sean Payton.

"Coming into this offseason, one of my major concerns was, 'How am I going to be utilized?' " Karney said. "Coach Payton and our running backs coach, George Henshaw, were very up front and very honest and told me that I'd be a vital part. And throughout the minicamps and OTA (organized team activity) sessions, I was definitely sold on what they were telling me from the beginning.

"I think this offense is going to give me an opportunity to do a lot more than what I've done the last two years. Besides just being a blocker, I'm going to be able to get out and catch some more passes than I've done in the past."

Karney said Payton pulled him aside and reassured him that his role would still be prominent after the Saints drafted tailback Reggie Bush, opening the possibilities of two-tailback sets and other creative formations.

"Unless they're planning on making Deuce McAllister a fullback, which I don't think they're planning to do, you've got to have a guy out there who's made to clean out some linebackers, and that's what I've been doing," Karney said. "I'm excited to be blocking for a guy like Deuce McAllister, first and foremost. I mean, that's a guy I've been blocking for the last two years. And with the addition of Reggie and the potential that Reggie has is a great opportunity. And I can't leave out Aaron Stecker, who's been here the last two years as well."

Karney is an absolute bowling ball as a blocker & runner and has good hands as well. Glad to know he'll be opening up holes for us for the next 4 years.

Fantasywise, I'm avoiding both. Bush is going to high for me and the comeback from the ACL/coupled with Bush is making me avoid Duece.

I second that. Bush keeps rising in mocks too. 3rd rd too early for me.

unfortunately good news for those two does not translate to good news for fantasy owners.

I am inclined to disagree. News like this will most likely cause the value of Bush and Deuce to move upward while Huddle members who know better will stay away and let someone else overpay for these two. I'm all for increased value of players I had no plans on selecting.

Bush's value in a Dynasty / Keeper league is high, because his potential is through the roof. Getting both Bush & Deuce in a Dynasty / Keeper league good end up big, because Deuce might end up going else where as a # 1 in the near future. As for this year, I'm not so sure. Bush might be used in the slot, and enough in the backfield, that both could end up having some value. I agree, people are reaching too high for both in re-draft leagues though.

unfortunately good news for those two does not translate to good news for fantasy owners.

I disagree. This is good news for Bush and McAllister owners. T. Smith left a big void but this guy has filled in nicely plus he is young. And its pretty hard to find a young GOOD fullback in this league. As some say they dont make them like they use to. :D

That is good news.

Fantasywise, I'm avoiding both. Bush is going to high for me and the comeback from the ACL/coupled with Bush is making me avoid Duece.

In an IDP keeper league Deuce was still there in the 7th round. Couldn't pass on him there. If Bush succeeds he could be traded and a top RB again.

All depends on where you get these guys.

In an IDP keeper league Deuce was still there in the 7th round. Couldn't pass on him there. If Bush succeeds he could be traded and a top RB again.

All depends on where you get these guys.

That just might end up being a steal in the 7th round next yr.

I am inclined to disagree. News like this will most likely cause the value of Bush and Deuce to move upward while Huddle members who know better will stay away and let someone else overpay for these two. I'm all for increased value of players I had no plans on selecting.

:D

Very nice post from a newbie. :D

I love Deuce as a player, but this might be the worst RBBC in the league for the next few years, which would still be GREAT for the Saints.

1. Deuce will be 29 during the 2007 season, so the trade market for him won't be great (see S. Alexander and E. James circa 2004).

2. He loves the city, so that will help keep him around.

3. He's making very good money for a RB and will continue to be financially happy. Plus, I don't think his cap number(s) will be too high to keep him around, from the team's standpoint.

The Saints look almost like the situation that the Raiders were in in the late 80's with Marcus Allen sharing with Bo Jackson although I'd be surprised to see Bush and McAllister play on the same team for four years.

Marcus Allen was a great back, but one that was in a RBBC, even before Bo came to the team.

1985 Allen had 380/1759/11 the majority of the team's production. Just rushing stats shown.

1986 Allen had 208/759/5 and Napoleon McCallum had 142/536/1

1987 Allen had 200/754/5 and Jackson had 81/554/4

1988 Allen had 223/831/7 and Jackson had 136/580/3

1989 Allen had 69/293/2 and Jackson had 173/950/4 (Allen's in 8 games / Jackson's in 11)

1990 Allen had 179/682/12 and Jackson had 125/698/5 Jackson was in the pro-bowl this year.

1991 Allen was only the 3rd top rusher on the team behind Roger Craig and Nick Bell and played in 8 games.

1992 Allen was only the 3rd top rusher on the team behind Dickerson and Bell. Allen's final year on the team.