[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ashley Lelie

alexgaddis

As a Bears fan I might not mind seeing him in Chicago but don't think the Bears, or any team, would be willing to deal a high draft pick. I'm not certain Lelie would be that much of an upgrade over the current crop of WR2 the Bears have...but a change of cities might be what he needs.

I agree with everywhere but Pittsburg. They run way to much for fantasy potential.

Hines Ward might disagree with you. And without a receiving threat (other than Heath Miller, and now that Randal-El is gone) they still need someone on the other side to do a decent job. I like Cedric Wilson from his days as a 49er, but Lelie could probably do a better job. Neither would amount to much for fantasy, but for NFL purposes, I still think (a motivated) Lelie could help the Steelers. You know, because Pittsburg really seem to have been struggling to compete these last couple years.

In DEN sitting on his rearend until next year.

Barring an injury to a team that thinks it is a contender, Lelie will most probably hold out until week 10, when he'll show up at practice so he accumulates the one more year of service he needs to become a UFA next year. At that point, Shanahan will either make him a gunner on special teams or just let him rot at the end of the bench. Let's not forget that Shanahan is vindictive as hell when a player crosses him.

If a team that thinks it has a shot at winning this year has a major contributor at WR go down, I could see them approaching DEN for a trade, and giving Shanahan what he is currently asking for in a trade for Lelie - which is right now a 4th rounder.

Lelie's problems are: 1) He's seen as a one-dimensional deep threat, 2) He hates contact (so he sucks at middle & short routes, and he won't block), and 3) He's got a tremendously inflated opinion of his ability, which makes any team trading for him this year knowingly going into very difficult negotiations when he does become a UFA - that makes him the NFL equivalent of a rented goalie.

No team wants the headache right now - they don't see Lelie's ability as worthy of a 4th rounder next year when they know how hard he'll be to sign long term. Only an injury might alter some team's mind.

Philly, now there would be a good fit. At the very least he'd get more than a fair shot as a starting flanker. Think McNabb could use an extra body to throw to??

I would agree with this.. I like gafney's hands but lelie would pose quite a deep threat

AWOL Ashlie

But here's the problem with Lelie putting his foot down in a petulant demand for respect.

He comes off as a kid throwing a tantrum rather than a man to be respected.

In 2005, Lelie caught one - count 'em - one touchdown pass for the Broncos, or exactly one less than Dwayne Carswell, who dents the scales at almost 300 pounds and wears No. 77. After four seasons in the NFL, Lelie's reputation for getting behind the secondary is far outstripped by his image for being softer than a crying towel. Heck, the halitosis of a strong safety can knock over AWOL Ashley. Lelie demanding a trade? Shanahan must have to choke back his laughter.

"It would be different if people were beating down the walls to get him," Shanahan said. "But they're not."

This is a game of chicken, NFL style.

We all know who's going to crack.

Sooner or later, AWOL Ashley will come crawling back.

In DEN sitting on his rearend until next year.

Barring an injury to a team that thinks it is a contender, Lelie will most probably hold out until week 10, when he'll show up at practice so he accumulates the one more year of service he needs to become a UFA next year.

This is the correct answer.

The fact that he hasn't had a qb that can throw a pass more than 25 yards with any accuracy hasn't helped him either.

Plummer's accuracy has been okay over the last three years. 60.7% in '05, 58.8% in '04, and 62.6% in '03. Not elite, by any means, but not horrible. :D

The fact that he hasn't had a qb that can throw a pass more than 25 yards with any accuracy hasn't helped him either.

Which of course explains why Lelie was #2, #1, & #4 for starting WRs in the NFL in ypc over the last 3 years.

:D

I'm not trying to stick up for the guy...he definately has made a bonehead move, but I could see him going somewhere else and becoming a solid reciever. I think once you piss off the Mastermind it's only a matter of time before you're gone.

So it's safe to drop the bum over the likes of Coles and Porter?

I'm not too hot on either of those other guys, but I would take either over Lelie. Unlike Lelie, these guys have proven they can put up numbers in the right situation. Lelie is officially a bust in my opinion. Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

I'm not too hot on either of those other guys, but I would take either over Lelie. Unlike Lelie, these guys have proven they can put up numbers in the right situation. Lelie is officially a bust in my opinion. Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

:D

Agreed. Plus, unlike Lelie, at present at least Coles and Porter are slated to take the field in Week 1.