[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

GBs RB situation

peepinmofo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than the tendinitis, the change in the offensive line didn't help any last year either. Unfortionately, even though GB has changed to a 'zone blocking' scheme this year, that problem still didn't seem to be resolved during their first preseason game.

Starting TWO rookies on your O'line, while trying to implement / teach a new blocking scheme to your vets, is never a good idea.

However, it's still only pre season and they've got a few more games to work at it.

"Read the whole thread, and it was a painful read at that. I don't know what it is, but something inside tells me that Davenport will emerge as the #1 rusher in GB this year."

I did read it. Did you???

"The Wisconsin faithful hope 2006 represents a comeback year for the Packers and the NFL running back with the most rushing yards from 2000 to 2004. "

"Green said it already feels better than when he played through knee tendinitis last season. He has been running since late April, and his workout routine has progressed from isometric leg lifts and pool exercises to speed drills, jump roping exercises, squats, dead-lifts and power cleans."

"(My leg is) gaining strength every day," Green said. "Anything that anybody healthy would do, I'm doing."

"But they would like to see Green emerge as the bell cow in 2006. "

"For Green, it represents a return to the blocking scheme he ran behind as a second-team All-American at the University of Nebraska "

"I'm very excited about it," Green said. "It fits my style because it's basically downhill. It's north and south. You don't have to a lot of juking and jiving. ... You hit it right away."

Edited by Crazysight

If you're talking about the part where it says his numbers dropped off than you need to reread what I wrote before about his tendinits prior to the injury (which is also included in the article). That would be consistent with people's opinions (including mine) that he looked 'old and slow' prior to the injury.

As a Davenport owner for 2+ I can say that the odds of him being the leading rusher in GB seem to be very slim. For one, he's never been able to stay healthy. Second, he'll never be more than a part-time back because if you look at his stats for his career you'll see that he simply is not a receiver by any stretch of the imagination. Beyond that he has gotten off to a very slow start in camp thus far (and in his particular case he was supposed to be further along at this point, unlike Green), is behind Gado on the depth chart. and will obviously be behind the runningback who had the most rushing yards from scrimmage in the NFL from 2000-2004 if that back's repaired leg shows to now be at 100%.

Edited by Crazysight

From what I've been reading/hearing, Crazysight seems to be right on:

- the job is Green's to lose; unless he appears completely incapable of contributing, he starts

- the staff has faith in Gado's ability; right now, they feel he's overthinking instead of just playing football

- Davenport IS in the mix as well, but I doubt they will give him too prominent a role, considering his injury history

- there is potential for Davenport or Noah Herron to stick as fullback; the staff loves Herron's smarts and work ethic but he has one gear and that gear is s-l-o-w

"For Green, it represents a return to the blocking scheme he ran behind as a second-team All-American at the University of Nebraska "

"I'm very excited about it," Green said. "It fits my style because it's basically downhill. It's north and south. You don't have to a lot of juking and jiving. ... You hit it right away."

:D