[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

brats

nuke'em ttg

had a stomach ache so i threw a brat / onions / kraut on the grill.... :D.. man that was great....first one of the year and couldn't wait.....only like the pork ones that the meat market makes themselves, got a jalapeno one for tomarrow...ANYWAY... anybody do any of the prepackaged brats like Hillshire :D.. only kind my dad likes........ :D

I buy brats made by my butcher or a local market that makes some unique, but tasty versions. Fresh is always better, IMO.

My folks live and die by Johnsonville - they are OK, but need more dressing than the really good brats.

I like jalepeno pork the best. :homerdrool:

The market I mentioned makes one with chicken and garlic.

brat=gray tasteless hotdog

You must have the same ones that Mrs. RR bought by mistake when Sky was here! Hillshire!! :D Sky said he wasn't crazy about brats but he'd eat them and I'm sure that we convinced him to never try them again. Johnsonville are very good, but there's nothing like a good butcher making them fresh. Problem is there are no good butchers near me.

• 2 weeks later...

Or steamed with beer and then grilled :D

Grill 'em first. Get a pan fill with onion and peppers and beer. throw the grilled brats in. cover and cook over indirect medium heat for 25 minutes. Heaven on a bun.

Or steamed with beer and then grilled :D

Yeah, I'll cook them in a dark ale with sliced onions, crushed garlic, mustard seed, celery seed, and crushed red pepper flakes for about 30 mins then I'll put them on a hot grill to get a nice sear. Afterwards I'll strain the pot and toss in a little olive oil and make a relish out of the onions.

Yeah, I'll cook them in a dark ale with sliced onions, crushed garlic, mustard seed, celery seed, and crushed red pepper flakes for about 30 mins then I'll put them on a hot grill to get a nice sear. Afterwards I'll strain the pot and toss in a little olive oil and make a relish out of the onions.

Good info here. Although I usually prefer raw chopped onions and a spicy brown mustard on mine. And never a hot dog bun. Large, fresh hogie roll for me. :drool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll have to come to St. Louis and see this in person. I'm 90 minutes away. Let me know when this is on the menu. :D

this is pretty much how we did them yesterday, i liked the onion relish idea. as he watched me pour the beer down the drain, bier had the idea of leaving some of it in the pot with the onions and cooking it down until it was syrupy. he was too late though, all the bier was gone. so he did something similar with some balsamic. made a nice little relish, but i definitely want to try it with some of the beer next time.

this is pretty much how we did them yesterday, i liked the onion relish idea. as he watched me pour the beer down the drain, bier had the idea of leaving some of it in the pot with the onions and cooking it down until it was syrupy. he was too late though, all the bier was gone. so he did something similar with some balsamic. made a nice little relish, but i definitely want to try it with some of the beer next time.

Nice... I think I forgot to add that I put a few bay leaves in there as well.