[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kind of embarrassed to even ask this question

SpinalTapp

"Who cares" is a great response to this post....I know. However, I actually have an interest because I am one of the dummy's who picked him up at the end of last year in hopes of a return this year.

Last I checked....he was suspended another 4 games by the NFL....signed with the Manitoba to prove he could still play....got hurt and never produced and was cut by a CFL team.

Looks like he is dead man walking with no NFL future. Any one hearing anything else about the whizzinator? Would any team take a chance on this guy who once showed decent promise?

Onterrio is probably somewhere in Sacramento (his hometown) :D wondering "Why did I screw up my career?"

More likely saying, "somebody will call, they always do." the sad thing is if a team gets the injury bug, they probably will call.

S.O.D. yeah right! :D

According to Rotoworld has showed up 20 lbs overwieght for Candian Football training camp and no NFL team is showing interest.

That's only partly true.

He showed up overweight and injured. The GM up there said it was hard to guage value because he really couldn't practice. They cut him.

I have not heard no team has shown interst. I have heard there isn't much interest.

From Rotoworld

Latest News

Jul. 10, 2006 - 8:59 am et

While he's eligible for reinstatement in the NFL in October, Onterrio Smith is reportedly not receiving much interest around the league.

After showing up 20 pounds overweight for training camp in the Canadian Football League, Smith's lack of desire has been questioned. The former fourth-round draft pick was cut by Minnesota in April, so he'll have to prove to another team he's still got what it takes.

Source: Nashville Tennessean

Edited by Randall

You never know what can happen in the NFL, look at the Packers for example. If they have a season of injurys like last year, i would think he would be on the radar screen.

With that said he still needs to get back into shape, he has too much talent to go away all together.

• 8 months later...

Early litmus test

Tuesday, April 3rd, 2007 by Kevin Seifert

It will be interesting to see how new NFL commissioner Roger Goodell considers the case of Onterrio Smith, the former Vikings running back who reportedly has applied for reinstatement to the league after a two-year suspension. (Note to locals: The linked story was written by the former dot.comTom of KFAN.)

Goodell is in the final stages of developing a new, stricter policy for personal conduct. He is trying to deal forcefully with the recent uptick in player incidents, with punishments that include long suspensions as well as penalites against teams (fines, lost draft picks) for repeat offenders.

Technically, Smith falls under a different program: The league’s collectively-bargained substance abuse policy. But it is important to note that his suspension is “indefinite,” according to the policy, and his reinstatement is totally at the discretion of the commissioner.

On a personal note, we hope that Smith has conquered all of his demons. But at a time when Goodell is trying to act tough, Smith’s timing couldn’t be worse.

From PFT.com

WHIZZINATOR WANTS BACK IN

Former NFL running back Onterrio Smith has filed the appropriate paperwork for reinstatement, nearly two full years after he was bounced for multiple violations of the substance-abuse policy.

The problems came to a head (pun definitely not intended but impossible to ignore) when a fake, um, organ for use in duping drug tests was found in his luggage at an airport check point. He later was suspended, reportedly for skipping a drug test.

Agent Doug Hendrickson told the Green Bay Press-Gazette that he filed the application last week on Smith's behalf.

"He's been out of the league two years, but you know the talent's there," Hendrickson said. "He's still young. A lot of teams need a back. I think someone will take a chance on him and bring him in to camp."

Smith called himself the "Steal of the Draft" after the Vikings selected him in the fourth round four years ago. He started his collegiate career at Tennessee, was expelled, and finished up at Oregon. Concerns arising from (surprise, surprise) Josh Gordon use caused the guy with first-round talent to fall out of day one. (A prior version of this story said that Smith was a third-round pick. We apologize for the error.)

He rushed for more than 500 yards as a rookie, including two late-season games with 148 and 146. He rushed for more than 600 yards in 2004, when he was missed four games due to a drug-related suspension.

Smith tried to play for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL in 2005, but was cut during training camp.

Technically, Smith was banished from the league, with the opportunity to apply to reinstatement after one year. He has applied for reinstatement at least once before.

Last week, Ricky Williams applied for reinstatement following a banishment imposed in April 2006. This is Williams' first shot at reinstatement.

Edited by myhousekey