[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bush a likely Hold out

Bronco Billy

LINK

July 19, 2006

Saints' top pick Bush likely to hold out

By Michael Wallace

mwallace@clarionledger.com

New Orleans Saints top draft pick Reggie Bush will likely be a holdout when the team opens training camp in Jackson next week, a representative of the star running back told the Clarion-Ledger today.

Mike Ornstein, Bush's marketing agent, said Bush and the Saints "probably" won't agree to terms on a contract until after camp starts.

The Saints report to Millsaps College on July 27 and will start practice the following afternoon on the campus just north of downtown Jackson.

"Do we feel like he'll be there at the start?" Ornstein said in a telephone interview from his California office. "I'm not sure where we are right now. I'd say probably not, at this stage."

Bush, the Heisman Trophy winner out of Southern Cal, was the No. 2 overall pick in April's NFL draft. During the Saints' rookie mini-camp in May, Bush said he told his team of agents to do whatever they needed to make sure a deal was reached that would allow him to report to camp on time.

Saints general manager Mickey Loomis did not immediately respond to an interview request. The Saints have signed three of their eight 2006 draft picks in the past 10 days. But the team's top four picks remain unsigned a week before players report, which is not uncommon among NFL teams. Many deals, especially ones involving higher-round picks, typically get done weeks into training camp.

Apparently at issue is whether the Saints will offer Bush, who many rated as the top player in the draft, a better deal than what Houston gave Mario Williams when the Texans surprisingly chose the former North Carolina State defensive end first overall.

Williams has reportedly agreed to a six-year deal worth $54 million, with $26.5 million in guaranteed pay.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I warned you all about this. NO management & the Bush team are figuring to be millions of dollars apart right now - not the usual hundreds of thousands like most top draft picks. Bush's team is going to want a 20% increase on Alex Smith's #1 pick contract last year - and NO is going to want to slot him like a #2 draft pick.

Lest we forget, this was all created before the draft by Bush & his team when they decided to play chicken with HOU for the +20% Alex Smith $$$ & HOU opted for Williams instead.

Read my lips on Bush: CHARACTER ISSUES!

Edited by Bronco Billy

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LINK

July 19, 2006

Saints' top pick Bush likely to hold out

By Michael Wallace

mwallace@clarionledger.com

New Orleans Saints top draft pick Reggie Bush will likely be a holdout when the team opens training camp in Jackson next week, a representative of the star running back told the Clarion-Ledger today.

Mike Ornstein, Bush's marketing agent, said Bush and the Saints "probably" won't agree to terms on a contract until after camp starts.

The Saints report to Millsaps College on July 27 and will start practice the following afternoon on the campus just north of downtown Jackson.

"Do we feel like he'll be there at the start?" Ornstein said in a telephone interview from his California office. "I'm not sure where we are right now. I'd say probably not, at this stage."

Bush, the Heisman Trophy winner out of Southern Cal, was the No. 2 overall pick in April's NFL draft. During the Saints' rookie mini-camp in May, Bush said he told his team of agents to do whatever they needed to make sure a deal was reached that would allow him to report to camp on time.

Saints general manager Mickey Loomis did not immediately respond to an interview request. The Saints have signed three of their eight 2006 draft picks in the past 10 days. But the team's top four picks remain unsigned a week before players report, which is not uncommon among NFL teams. Many deals, especially ones involving higher-round picks, typically get done weeks into training camp.

Apparently at issue is whether the Saints will offer Bush, who many rated as the top player in the draft, a better deal than what Houston gave Mario Williams when the Texans surprisingly chose the former North Carolina State defensive end first overall.

Williams has reportedly agreed to a six-year deal worth $54 million, with $26.5 million in guaranteed pay.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I warned you all about this. NO management & the Bush team are figuring to be millions of dollars apart right now - not the usual hundreds of thousands like most top draft picks. Bush's team is going to want a 20% increase on Alex Smith's #1 pick contract last year - and NO is going to want to slot him like a #2 draft pick.

Lest we forget, this was all created before the draft by Bush & his team when they decided to play chicken with HOU for the +20% Alex Smith $$$ & HOU opted for Williams instead.

I don't know if this can be considered a 'character' issue in the true sense of the term. But i don't see this getting resolved for quite a while.

I don't know if this can be considered a 'character' issue in the true sense of the term. But i don't see this getting resolved for quite a while.

He had his family living in a house that was purchased by an agent. I think that falls under "character issues". :D

I thought I remember reading a post about Reggie Bush taking out a full page ad in the NO newspaper and being ready to donate a certain amount of his signing bonus to the Katrina effort. This surprises me.

Wasn't this if the NFL would allow him to wear #5 then he'd donate some portion of jersey sales?

Wasn't this if the NFL would allow him to wear #5 then he'd donate some portion of jersey sales?

Yep, he had excellent timing in asking the NFL to change their jersey # rules. It was a couple of weeks after the story about the agent buying his family that house. :D

Bush is a typical spoiled kid. Dude and his family agreed to take money for a house from an agent, with an understanding he would sign with that agent, which is against NCAA rules, then he burns the agent, and his parents move out of the house at the 11th hour. Thinks he should have gone #1, but Houston wanted no part of his prissy ass, and he thinks because he was passed over by the team with the #1 pick, he deserves more money than the #1 pick. Then he tries to rock the boat about his jersey #, and says he will give a portion of money if he gets that number, then he doesnt get it, so its doubtful he will give a dime.

This Rosie O'Donnell will get hurt at the drop of a dime, and become a distraction to his team. He has talent, but needs a swift kick in the ass and straighten the hell up. 99% of the world would love to make in a lifetime what his signing bonus is going to be, and this spoiled kid is holding out for even more.

You don't consider excessive greed a character flaw? Now, we aren't talking about normal, every day greed. We're talking about a #2 pick demanding to be paid 20% in excess of the previous year's #1 pick and demanding a contract in excess of this year's #1 pick.

That's a character flaw in my book - and shows that he most probably also overvalues himself significantly.

How many of the other 1st round picks not named Mario Williams have character issues as well? :D

That was the original quote, but later he said he'd do it regardless of what number he got.

How many of the other 1st round picks not named Mario Williams have character issues as well? :D

How many have character issues that could cause them to miss training camp and possibly extend into the regular season?

:D right back atcha'

And the haters come out ...

His marketing agent, not the one negotiating the contract says he thinks Bush may miss some camp

time, then in the same sentence says he doesn't really know where things stand. :D

It's not even August, and some are speculating on possibly missing some reg. season time ? Sounds like

wishful thinking (for whatever reason) to me.

Every poster on this board would do the same thing - "Get every nickle they could" - if they were in the same position. And those that say they wouldn't are full of it. This is the one contract that is guaranteed, so he has to get what he can. If he can get #1 money, more power to him. If not, well at least he tried. From the Saints standpoint, pay him as little as possible. This is NFL business, nothing more, nothing less.

How many have character issues that could cause them to miss training camp and possibly extend into the regular season?

:D right back atcha'

Anwer the question with another question...so do you have a list of 1st round picks not named Mario Williams that have been signed so far?

The only thing that makes this any different is it's Reggie Bush, the most highly touted player to come out of the draft in years. People are dying to see him fall on his face just so they can say I told you so.

Whats with all the Bush bashing? Dude is a monster, great character guy who is totally committed to being the best football player in the world.

For the record, he pledged to donate a certain % of jersey sales to hurricane relief if he got to keep #5, but then when the NFL turned him down, he said he would donate that % anyway. He has already become a huge contributor and public face to the effort to fix New Orleans, and is viewed as an absolute savior in that f-ed up city.

The agent thing is sketchy for sure, but without knowing the details how can anyone really say who's at fault. He didn't "have his parents living in a house owned by an agent", they were living there while he was having one of the greatest college football seasons of all time. Remember, the agent was an associate of his step dad, who very well may have been trying to capitalize off his stepsons talent without Reggie's knowledge.

Anyway, back to the main topic here, fantasy football. I sure hope he doesn't hold out too long into camp as that has clearly always had a negative effect on players being ready for the season, especially rookies. I'm not expecting big things from Reggie this year fantasy-wise, what with him splitting time with Deuce, but I could see him coming on strong at the end of the year, or in the event of a Deuce injury.

Whats with all the Bush bashing? Dude is a monster, great character guy who is totally committed to being the best football player in the world.

For the record, he pledged to donate a certain % of jersey sales to hurricane relief if he got to keep #5, but then when the NFL turned him down, he said he would donate that % anyway. He has already become a huge contributor and public face to the effort to fix New Orleans, and is viewed as an absolute savior in that f-ed up city.

The agent thing is sketchy for sure, but without knowing the details how can anyone really say who's at fault. He didn't "have his parents living in a house owned by an agent", they were living there while he was having one of the greatest college football seasons of all time. Remember, the agent was an associate of his step dad, who very well may have been trying to capitalize off his stepsons talent without Reggie's knowledge.

Anyway, back to the main topic here, fantasy football. I sure hope he doesn't hold out too long into camp as that has clearly always had a negative effect on players being ready for the season, especially rookies. I'm not expecting big things from Reggie this year fantasy-wise, what with him splitting time with Deuce, but I could see him coming on strong at the end of the year, or in the event of a Deuce injury.

The agent was an associate of his father that is correct. The agent has said that he and Bush's father were going to start an agency together with the intentions of having Reggie Bush be their first client.

Anwer the question with another question...so do you have a list of 1st round picks not named Mario Williams that have been signed so far?

No. IMO the thing that really matters is that he isn't the first pick and he is demanding money greater than that contracted by the first pick this year, and significantly greater than that of the first pick last year. As far as I know, that is unique among all players drafted this year. Perhaps you know differently, and if so I'd be interested in seeing that with a link.

As far as being a hater, this has nothing to do with hating Bush. It has to do with identifying what could be a significant problem in that he feels that established procedure (as well as NCAA rules - as seen with the debacle with his parents' housing and the New Era agency crap) don't apply to him. We saw that also with the stupid #5 jersey crap. That he hasn't even played one down in the NFL and that he is posturing like this is a huge red flag, IMO - especially after all the good will BS that he & his agent tried to engender to deflect these problems & spin a great-guy image onto him. His actions say otherwise, and also that he thinks fans are stupid enough to buy into the BS. This kid has some major ego/privledge issues that could affect how soon he gets on the field, how he deals with future contracts, and most importantly how concerned he is with his team mates - he obviously didn't give a damn about any consequences to USC and his team mates there with what he did while playing there.

If you want to ignore the evidence, that's certainly your perogative. If you feel it isn't significant, that's also your perogative. But it is certainly reasonable for someone to raise character issues after the accumulation of what we have seen in the past year. That you are willing to ignore them speaks more of idol worship rather than someone identifying them being a hater.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I thought I remember reading a post about Reggie Bush taking out a full page ad in the NO newspaper and being ready to donate a certain amount of his signing bonus to the Katrina effort. This surprises me.

true, and admirable...BUT, it is also just PR 101, i.e. make the city love him by turning him into "saint reggie" and force benson's hand to pay up or look like the villain. on one end, i don't care how the money/supplies/aid get to the people who deserve it most. on the other end, this "saint reggie" stuff is all just business posturing, plain and simple.

true, and admirable...BUT, it is also just PR 101, i.e. make the city love him by turning him into "saint reggie" and force benson's hand to pay up or look like the villain. on one end, i don't care how the money/supplies/aid get to the people who deserve it most. on the other end, this "saint reggie" stuff is all just business posturing, plain and simple.

msaint knows stuff.

F-it, I knew I shouldn't have come into this thread. As far as I see the kid has done a lot for the city of New Orleans and the Saints "without even stepping on the field." If you want to read into that as just business posturing then you will believe what you want to believe. My opinion is that it doesn't matter what he does on or off the field there will always be detractors. If his worst sins are an ego and asking for his college number then I'll certainly take that. Gimme a freaking break...better yet, give Reggie one.

That was the original quote, but later he said he'd do it regardless of what number he got.

AJ Hawk doesnt. He can do no wrong.

Does anyone know where I can find a list of all the 1st round draft picks signed so far this year other than Mario Williams or just a list of all rookies drafted and their contract status?

Williams is the only one.

F-it, I knew I shouldn't have come into this thread. As far as I see the kid has done a lot for the city of New Orleans and the Saints "without even stepping on the field." If you want to read into that as just business posturing then you will believe what you want to believe. My opinion is that it doesn't matter what he does on or off the field there will always be detractors. If his worst sins are an ego and asking for his college number then I'll certainly take that. Gimme a freaking break...better yet, give Reggie one.

Are you serious? He caught a break by being able to keep the heisman, the same damn trophey that he stole in the first place. The guy commited so many NCAA violations, its a joke. Why cut the guy some slack? Just because he was drafted to New Orleans? My heart goes out to that area, hell, im from there, but Bush didnt go through any of that. He was sitting pretty in LA. That guy deserves no break what-so-ever. If anything, he should be under the most scrutiny of any rookie.

And the haters come out ...

His marketing agent, not the one negotiating the contract says he thinks Bush may miss some camp

time, then in the same sentence says he doesn't really know where things stand. :D

It's not even August, and some are speculating on possibly missing some reg. season time ? Sounds like

wishful thinking (for whatever reason) to me.

Every poster on this board would do the same thing - "Get every nickle they could" - if they were in the same position. And those that say they wouldn't are full of it. This is the one contract that is guaranteed, so he has to get what he can. If he can get #1 money, more power to him. If not, well at least he tried. From the Saints standpoint, pay him as little as possible. This is NFL business, nothing more, nothing less.

Finally some truth within this thread. Thank you! :D

Williams is the only one.

That was the point I was trying to make. :D

Are you serious? He caught a break by being able to keep the heisman, the same damn trophey that he stole in the first place. The guy commited so many NCAA violations, its a joke. Why cut the guy some slack? Just because he was drafted to New Orleans? My heart goes out to that area, hell, im from there, but Bush didnt go through any of that. He was sitting pretty in LA. That guy deserves no break what-so-ever. If anything, he should be under the most scrutiny of any rookie.

Ok, assuming there were wrong intentions when his parents shacked up in the agents house, name a few of those other NCAA violations. This is the first I've heard of any others. :D

[sarcasm]There are a lot of people on this board who didn't go thru it, but they chose to help us in whatever way they could. Why is it nobody is criticizing them for it?[/sarcasm]

Your perception is that he is using it for financial gain. But it's just that, perception based on speculation. If he is then I'm glad he is doing something good with the money to make himself look better rather than just spend it on a new set of gold teeth and a sweet pimp ride with a shining set of spinners.