[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Beef Brisket

nuke'em ttg

from my wifes free shoppin spree... :D ... whats the best tastin way to grill this sucker or do i grab dads smoker........wife did a Teryaki marinade on the little one and i just slapped it on the grill...it was great...NOW what's the right way.... :D ....want to have the folks over for a sunday cook-out..... :D

Call your Dad and get his smoker. Brisket is really only good when smoked long and with constant steady medium to medium low heat. Grab at least a half rack of your favorite beer or beverage and be sure to watch the temp, keep the H2O right and the soaked wood chips and charcoal at the ready. Take your brisket and marinade it in a couple bottles of Italian dressing(simple is good here) your favorite seasoning salt(mine is Johnny's) and some black pepper. Cook with love for six to eight hours keeping a constant temp. Try to keep from taking the top of the smoker off or open it too often if possible. I can add anything I may need i.e. charcoal, water, or wood chips with mine from the sides.

You can smoke it on a gas grill with pans of water and wood chips, but this is a time when charcoal is hands down the better option and preferred method.

What hugh said. I do mine at 250 deg and about 60-90 min per pound. Depends if your doing just a flat or the whole packer cut.

When done, I've also placed it in foil then poured a can of Dr. Pepper in. Completely cover it then let it set for 30-45 min to soak it. Then slice that bad boy for some awesome sammiches. :D

Okay.....I'm smokin....dads smoker is elect. so temp is no problem.....just tried the Italian Dressing on Pork Loins and the wife & kids weren't to thrilled.....can i stick with the Teryaki marinade or just use regular seasonning (actually have been using a Famous Daves Rub mix ) for this slow cook. Cuttin up for sandwiches and everyone adding there own Bar-B-Que sauce is prolly the way everyone would want it...THOUGHTS...... :D

Thanks for the tips........i need it........ :D

It's a 5 1/2 lb. flat-cut

stocked up on Hickory & Mesquite chips......1 or both better ??????????

Edited by nuke'em ttg

Okay.....I'm smokin....dads smoker is elect. so temp is no problem.....just tried the Italian Dressing on Pork Loins and the wife & kids weren't to thrilled.....can i stick with the Teryaki marinade or just use regular seasonning (actually have been using a Famous Daves Rub mix ) for this slow cook. Cuttin up for sandwiches and everyone adding there own Bar-B-Que sauce is prolly the way everyone would want it...THOUGHTS...... :D

Thanks for the tips........i need it........ :D

It's a 5 1/2 lb. flat-cut

stocked up on Hickory & Mesquite chips......1 or both better ??????????

I would just use a dry rub on the outside. I would probably stick with the hickory vs. the mesquite. Mesquite will give it just a little harsher taste.(and I don't mean bad, just with a bit of an edge to it.) Hickory should be a little easier on the palette for a wide range of people.

Make a mop and brush on after the first hour and then every hour until it's done. You can use whatever you want for the mop: beer mixed with some of your dry rub isn't a bad combo. Also add a water pan to the smoker. And basically an hour per pound is your time frame.

If the brisket has any fat on it, put the brisket on the smoker with the fat side UP.

I would just use a dry rub on the outside. I would probably stick with the hickory vs. the mesquite. Mesquite will give it just a little harsher taste.(and I don't mean bad, just with a bit of an edge to it.) Hickory should be a little easier on the palette for a wide range of people.

Make a mop and brush on after the first hour and then every hour until it's done. You can use whatever you want for the mop: beer mixed with some of your dry rub isn't a bad combo. Also add a water pan to the smoker. And basically an hour per pound is your time frame.

If the brisket has any fat on it, put the brisket on the smoker with the fat side UP.

Awesome... Thanks everyone for the help.. :D

1 MORE THING......does the meat go right on the rack or do ya set it on some foil....... :D

Be straight with me.......... :D is an electric smoker ghey............my grill is staring at me........ :D

To me the best way to smoke anything is with a H2O/Charcoal smoker. Electric smokers are best IMO for making jerky. Used to have a Little Chief that made awesome salmon jerky and small batches of smoked salmon. Kept it fpor a long time just to smoke fish in. Cod was also yummy. Kept the fish smell out of the cuts of meat I smoke with good ol charcoal and H2O utilizing all sorts of wood depending on the type of meat. Cherry and apple both rock!

Edited by Hugh B Tool

Call your Dad and get his smoker. Brisket is really only good when smoked long and with constant steady medium to medium low heat. Grab at least a half rack of your favorite beer or beverage and be sure to watch the temp, keep the H2O right and the soaked wood chips and charcoal at the ready. Take your brisket and marinade it in a couple bottles of Italian dressing(simple is good here) your favorite seasoning salt(mine is Johnny's) and some black pepper. Cook with love for six to eight hours keeping a constant temp. Try to keep from taking the top of the smoker off or open it too often if possible. I can add anything I may need i.e. charcoal, water, or wood chips with mine from the sides.

You can smoke it on a gas grill with pans of water and wood chips, but this is a time when charcoal is hands down the better option and preferred method.

AMEN. I usually like a BBQ type marinade but generally, I follow the same method.....

Then slice it thin, throw a few slices on a bun with horseradish and you've got a great sandwich.

highly would not recommend smoking a brisket for 5hrs with a hangover......... :D

i prolly overcooked it but the flavor was great and it was tender...just didn't slice up real nice.......alot of work ....was really venturing into the unknown but i'm glad i tried it.......THANKS to all...... :D

This is pretty nuch what I do. :D

highly would not recommend smoking a brisket for 5hrs with a hangover......... :D

i prolly overcooked it but the flavor was great and it was tender...just didn't slice up real nice.......alot of work ....was really venturing into the unknown but i'm glad i tried it.......THANKS to all...... :D

Did you cut it against or with the grain? That will make a hugh difference.

It gets easier and better tasting each time you do it. oh yeah as twil said next time cut against the grain

It gets easier and better tasting each time you do it. oh yeah as twil said next time cut against the grain

Good stuff here!

What cut of beef is brisket?

When I asked for it at the butcher stand, they told me they don't carry it.

Did you cut it against or with the grain? That will make a hugh difference.

Ya i knew about that........just have some sh!tty cuttin knives......and once i started i didn't back off.. :D plus the wife was coaching me so i had that goin for me......... :D

Good stuff here!

What cut of beef is brisket?

When I asked for it at the butcher stand, they told me they don't carry it.

mine just said flat cut.........don't know what part of the dead cow we're talkin though......... :D

mine just said flat cut.........don't know what part of the dead cow we're talkin though......... :D

It is a tough part of the steer for sure hence the slow cooking needed. Now if you have any leftovers, shread them up with a sharp knife :D or your fingers and mix with your favorite BBQ sauce, get some good onion rolls and make some sammiches!!!

Edited by Hugh B Tool

Ya i knew about that........just have some sh!tty cuttin knives......and once i started i didn't back off.. :D plus the wife was coaching me so i had that goin for me......... :D

Might I suggest a santoku knife then, rather expensive but a great all around knife.

It is a tough part of the steer for sure hence the slow cooking needed. Now if you have any leftovers, shread them up with a sharp knife :D or your fingers and mix with your favorite BBQ sauce, get some good onion rolls and make some sammiches!!!

Right on brother. :D

Had that for lunch....... :D ...awesome going back to the jobsite with Bar-B-Que sauce all over the white T-shirt :D .....worked to hard on that thing not to show it off........ :D

Edited by nuke'em ttg