[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Denver RBs

gfield88

Every year Denver is among the leaders in total rushing TDs and yet this year all predictions are for Dayne to score 6 to 8 and Bell to score 8 to 9. In 2005 Denver scored 21 with virtually the same team, what happened to the 5 extra rushing scores? Are the projections for Dayne and Bell too low?

every year since 2002, I've had a Denver back and have been successful with it....

even last year, I had Anderson and trading him with Andre Johnson got me Torry Holt early......he needed a RB desperately....he was starting Mewelde Moore :D

this year is the 1st year that I have no take on the situation....but hopefully I will see something in preseason....

Dayne is not an every down back and Bell has problems running between the tackles and also has a history of staying healthy. Cobbs played well enough last year with the practice squad that Shanny DID NOT draft any RB's. Cobbs was a SEC standout, rushing for over 3000 yds and has nice size at 225 and according to Shannahan has better straight line speed than most would think for a back his size. I will not draft any Denver "Starter" until this situation becomes more clear. If Dayne or Bell struggle, it could open the door for Cobbs to get his chance. Keep an eye on this situation and be ready to hit the waiver wire at the first sign that either Dayne or Bell has fallen outta of Shanny's favor.. :D

:shakinghead:

I'd love to see where all the Cobbs proponents are finding evidence that he can be a featured RB in the NFL.

Cobbs was on a NE team desperate for a big RB to take over once Dillon is done, or in case of a Dillon injury since they were a SB favorite entering the season. Almost everyone acknowledges that Belichek is a master motivator and gets the utmost performance out of his players. Yet he cut Cobbs loose last August with no proven backups behind Dillon to take his place in the event of injury.

Enter Cobbs onto the DEN scene. Cobbs was placed on the DEN practice squad, and could have been promoted at anytime - yet Shanahan decided to go with Dayne on the roster rather than Cobbs after seeing the two in practice in head-to-head competition.

Cobbs' main claim to fame is his stellar performance in 2004 when the #7 rushing offense of New Engalnd met the #31 ranked rushing defense of Cleveland, and Cobbs piled up a whopping 29 yds rushing in 16 carries. He also had a magnifcent 20 yds rushing in 5 carries vs the #30 rushing D of San Francisco that year. The rest of his pro resume? 1 carry for 1 yd vs Pittsburgh. Now he's supposed to take control of the DEN rushing offense? Excuse me if I remain highly skeptical. In fact, I like UDFA Mike Bell's chances much better than Cobbs' to ever be a mainstay in the DEN rushing offense.

On the other hand, Dayne came to the rescue twice last year for Shanahan. In two games that DEN probably ought to have lost, against SD and their #1 ranked run D in week 2 and against DAL on Thanksgiving Dayne came up big with huge runs that lead to game winning field goals. Dayne shut his mouth, worked extremely hard, did dirty work, and didn't whine when he was deactivated for a few games. In short, he earned Shanahan's trust & loyalty - which is a huge factor in deciding who gets an opportunity to be the featured RB.

Dayne fits the DEN one-cut system very well. It's very similar to the Wisconsin blocking scheme where he put up rushing numbers that made him the all-time career rusher in Div. I history. He took on huge amounts of work in college and didn't get injured. Dayne then went to the Giants where they envisioned him as the "Thunder" to Tiki's "Lightening" - but that's not Dayne's game. He's not a masher, he's a one cut RB who runs downhill very well and has enough size to punish the D and break tackles at the second level. Instead, NY tried to make him into a Bettis-type RB. Dayne & the NY system just did not mesh well at all.

Shanahan has named Dayne the #1 RB. When Shanahan has done that in the past, he has stuck to his word and used that RB, even in his one failure at a preseason #1 RB in Quentin Griffin (actually, Anderson was the #1 RB in the preseason but then suffered a season ending injury in that same preseason), keeping Griffin starting even despite extremely poor results in weeks 2-6 until Griffin got hurt and lost his job to a shocking Rueben Droughns, who took over the job because of a plethora of injuries at RB and he was switched over from his FB spot, put up much better results than Griffin, & never looked back. Now that DEN management has stated that Dayne is their #1 guy and Bell is the CoP RB - and this stayed true in mini-camps this year, causing much whining from Bell - why would FF owners expect Shanahan to suddenly change his stripes after so many years and go away from the RB he trusts?

If you're counting on Cobbs' to surprise & win the starting job, you have to believe that Dayne is going to get injured, and that Mike Bell will be no factor whatsoever. We'll know a lot more after training camp & preseason has run a few weeks, but right now Cobbs looks much more like he'll take over Dayne's role - if he can hold off M Bell - as Dayne takes over Anderson's role this year.

Edited by Bronco Billy

more :D news on the Denver backfield situation

Broncos | Starting running back still up for grabs

Sat, 22 Jul 2006 19:27:06 -0700

Vic Lombardi, of CBS4Denver.com, reports the starting running back spot for the Denver Broncos remains up for grabs. The candidates are RBs Ron Dayne, Tatum Bell, Mike Bell and Cedric Cobbs. "With the running back situation, it's really hard to tell until you put the pads on and watch them in live situations," head coach Mike Shanahan said. "We'll get a chance to do that in these preseason games. That's really where the running back, along with the safeties, separate themselves."

BB...I won't disagree about Cobbs being completely unimpressive last year..

but he was a rookie....and the one system you can make a complete 180 and look like a gem in...is Denver's....

I am pulling for either Mike Bell or Cobbs...the other 2, I've already seen and don't like their long-term value....

more :D news on the Denver backfield situation

I'd take my spin on the DEN RB situation from the DEN Bronco beat writers - Jeff Legwold & Bill Williamson. For a pleasant change here in DEN, both beat writers actually understand the game and both seem to get straight info that they verify from the team. In the past, DEN management played the beat writers (Schefter, Paige, etc.) like a fine violin in passing on misinformation, since the guys just took what they were spoon fed and never verified anything, and they sure as hell never could quite figure out the finer points of the game.

Both beat writers are saying Dayne is #1 and he will be in week 1 unless he fails in a monumental manner in preseason.

I hate using this source, but it has a bit of info that was already well known before the interview:

LINK

FBG: Mike Shanahan told us last year that Mike Anderson would start. Many did not believe him and took the explosive Tatum Bell too early in fantasy drafts. Fast forward a year and Shanahan is saying that Ron Dayne is going to start. There are many disbelievers again this year. What can you tell us about Ron Dayne in Denver? Convince us he is not the same player that played soft with the Giants.

JL(Jeff Legwold): When it comes to running back take Mike Shanahan at his word. Ron will enter camp as the starter and it will be tough to nudge him out unless he has a bad preseason or the Broncos don't swing a trade for Ashley Lelie that includes a running back.

As it stands right now no team is willing to part with a front-line player for Lelie. Tatum is considered by the coaches to be a situational runner whose average yards per carry goes down as he carries the ball more.

Last season, I believe, he had just one game with more than five yards a carry over the final eight of the season. He has a long way to go to change their minds on that. They believe he will be more effective in that role.

Ron is a zone runner. He was at Wisconsin and did not play that way in New York. He is a one-cut runner and the Broncos have made that work with players with far less raw ability than he has. He's been in good shape. I think he could be productive down to down.

He just won't have big play after big play. He'll be a grinder in the offense.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FBG: Will Cedric Cobbs have any role in the running game?

JL(Jeff Legwold): It's possible, but at best he is the third back at this point -- a role Dayne found himself in last season.

There aren't many carries for the No. 3, especially if the Broncos keep two fullbacks up on gameday because of special teams.

But he was a 1,200-yard rusher at Arkansas in his final season and is another bigger zone runner like the Broncos like. His time would come if Bell got injured.

Edited by Bronco Billy

My opinion, this is to motivate Bell. Bell has more talent than Dayne, and should easily beat out the 1st round bust. Question is, Will Bell accept the challenge and work his ass off to prove he deserves it, or whine because he isnt given the starting job in preseason.

If I remember correctly, I saw something on ESPN talking about Tatum beefing up to be more durable this season and to prove he can be an every down back. He wants to keep the goal line carries for himself so he was going to add 15-25 pounds, anyone else remember seeing this in the last 3 weeks?

If I remember correctly, I saw something on ESPN talking about Tatum beefing up to be more durable this season and to prove he can be an every down back. He wants to keep the goal line carries for himself so he was going to add 15-25 pounds, anyone else remember seeing this in the last 3 weeks?

yeah it was posted here...

Shanahan told him to beef up.....that's not exactly a good sign if you're told you have to beef up...

I haven't liked him since day one....

My opinion, this is to motivate Bell. Bell has more talent than Dayne, and should easily beat out the 1st round bust. Question is, Will Bell accept the challenge and work his ass off to prove he deserves it, or whine because he isnt given the starting job in preseason.

If Bell wants any motivation, all he has to do is look at the way his production falls off the table as he goes from his first 10 carries in a game to his second 10 - which is true of his career carries but especially last year. That's why Shanahan & the DEN staff view him as a CoP RB. He can't sustain his production when his carries go beyond 10 to 12 in a game. There's no doubt he's the homerun threat in the backfield, but when DEN has a lead in the 2nd half & has to grind time off the clock by pounding the ball at opponenets, Bell is a liability.

Both beat writers are saying Dayne is #1 and he will be in week 1 unless he fails in a monumental manner in preseason.

Dayne has typically been an excellent preseason RB. I think he led the NFL in preseason rushing yardage once or twice in the past few years. I expect him to enter the season as the #1 RB for Denver and put up similar numbers to Mike Anderson last year.

per kffl.com

Titans | Brown would like to go to Broncos

Mon, 24 Jul 2006 07:13:23 -0700

Bill Williamson, of the Denver Post, reports Tennessee Titans RB Chris Brown has the Denver Broncos at the top of his list of teams he would like to be traded to. "Denver would be a good fit for Chris," Ryan Morgan, one of his agents, said. "We all know how well Denver runs the ball, and we think Chris, with his style, could have a big year there." There has been speculation that a Chris Brown-for-Ashley Lelie deal could work, but the Titans are strong at receiver.

Broncos | Team trying to complete Lelie trade

Mon, 24 Jul 2006 07:05:25 -0700

Bill Williamson, of the Denver Post, reports the Denver Broncos are working hard to trade WR Ashley Lelie before the start of training camp. The Broncos are looking to get help at running back and tight end. Draft-pick compensation could be part of the deal. Lelie's agent, Peter Schaffer, said there are seven teams interested in Lelie. The biggest obstacle in the deal is that Lelie will be an unrestricted free agent in March.

I heard on the radio this morning that Lelie's agent says there are 7 teams interested in Lelie right now. Unfortunately, of course, he wouldn't say which or what their level of interest is. Lelie still carries the stigma that he is a 1-D WR who is going to be a UFA next year & thinks he ought to be paid like a #1 WR.

I would find it hard to believe that TEN would trade Brown for Lelie straight up - Brown has proven to be more valuable than Lelie - and I don't think DEN is going to give up draft picks to package with Lelie to get Brown.

Interesting still, though. Brown's skill level and strengths would fit DEN's rushing O pretty well, I would think. That would make for an interesting training camp/preseason - watching Dayne & Brown fight for the #1 RB spot (kiss Cobbs buh-bye if that happens).

Edited by Bronco Billy

yeah...I agree and as much as Brown is one of those players I avoid...

I would draft him and Tatum Bell...another player I normally avoid...

and Brown would come out the gate strong....after about 4 weeks, I trade him.....and if he gets hurt....then I wait for Bell to have a couple strong games and trade him as well...

no matter how I look at it...Denver RB's have propelled me into the playoffs...whether it's by riding them to the finish...or by trading them when the time is right...

Titans | Brown would like to go to Broncos

Mon, 24 Jul 2006 07:13:23 -0700

Bill Williamson, of the Denver Post, reports Tennessee Titans RB Chris Brown has the Denver Broncos at the top of his list of teams he would like to be traded to. "Denver would be a good fit for Chris," Ryan Morgan, one of his agents, said. "We all know how well Denver runs the ball, and we think Chris, with his style, could have a big year there." There has been speculation that a Chris Brown-for-Ashley Lelie deal could work, but the Titans are strong at receiver.

Broncos | Team trying to complete Lelie trade

Mon, 24 Jul 2006 07:05:25 -0700

Bill Williamson, of the Denver Post, reports the Denver Broncos are working hard to trade WR Ashley Lelie before the start of training camp. The Broncos are looking to get help at running back and tight end. Draft-pick compensation could be part of the deal. Lelie's agent, Peter Schaffer, said there are seven teams interested in Lelie. The biggest obstacle in the deal is that Lelie will be an unrestricted free agent in March.

what running back wouldn't want to play for Denver?

and i really doubt the titans are even remotely interested in Lelie. they have plenty of young wr's.