[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Texas Stud RB Romonce Taylor transferring

Sgt. Ryan

AUSTIN, Texas -- Running back Ramonce Taylor, who struggled with academic and legal troubles after Texas' national championship season, said he will transfer to another school.

Is Texas a top-five team without Ramonce Taylor?

Yes

No

They weren't anyway

Taylor scored a touchdown in Texas' Rose Bowl win over Southern California. But he missed spring practice because of academic problems and in May was arrested on a Josh Gordon possession charge, which is still pending.

In a statement released by Texas officials Tuesday, Taylor thanked his teammates and coach Mack Brown. The statement did not say where he planned to transfer.

"Frederick Douglass once said, 'No struggle, no progress.' I've had my share of struggles and now it's time for progress," Taylor said.

"I want to thank my teammates who supported me through any struggle," he said. "I also need to thank coach Brown for always being honest and never changing. He always treated me as a person first and not just a football player. I'll always respect him for that."

One of the Longhorns' most versatile players, Taylor scored 15 touchdowns last season, playing both running back and wide receiver.

"We appreciate all that R.T. contributed to our program," Brown said. "We wish him the very best in football and in life."

Despite Taylor's departure, Texas has depth at running back. Jamaal Charles rushed for 878 yards and 11 touchdowns as a freshman last season and senior Selvin Young and sophomore Henry Melton combined for 893 yards and 18 TDs.

Charles is a slash back, and can take it to the house on any given play, but Taylor is the best complete back on the Texas roster, and wont be replaced easily.

AUSTIN, Texas -- Running back Ramonce Taylor, who struggled with academic and legal troubles after Texas' national championship season, said he will transfer to another school.

Is Texas a top-five team without Ramonce Taylor?

Yes

No

They weren't anyway

Taylor scored a touchdown in Texas' Rose Bowl win over Southern California. But he missed spring practice because of academic problems and in May was arrested on a Josh Gordon possession charge, which is still pending.

In a statement released by Texas officials Tuesday, Taylor thanked his teammates and coach Mack Brown. The statement did not say where he planned to transfer.

"Frederick Douglass once said, 'No struggle, no progress.' I've had my share of struggles and now it's time for progress," Taylor said.

"I want to thank my teammates who supported me through any struggle," he said. "I also need to thank coach Brown for always being honest and never changing. He always treated me as a person first and not just a football player. I'll always respect him for that."

One of the Longhorns' most versatile players, Taylor scored 15 touchdowns last season, playing both running back and wide receiver.

"We appreciate all that R.T. contributed to our program," Brown said. "We wish him the very best in football and in life."

Despite Taylor's departure, Texas has depth at running back. Jamaal Charles rushed for 878 yards and 11 touchdowns as a freshman last season and senior Selvin Young and sophomore Henry Melton combined for 893 yards and 18 TDs.

Charles is a slash back, and can take it to the house on any given play, but Taylor is the best complete back on the Texas roster, and wont be replaced easily.

Receiving

Taylor, Ramonce 27 265 9.8 3 TD

Rushing

Charles, Jamaal 119 878 7.4 11 TD

Taylor, Ramonce 76 513 6.8 12 TD

Young, Selvin 96 461 4.8 8 TD

Melton, Henry 87 432 5.0 10 TD

If Charles had been lost for the season, you would have said that he was the most complete back that UT had. Certainly Taylor is a very versatile and explosive athlete. I assure you that it was known before the Rose Bowl that he was a very big question mark for this year. Any planning and prep that has been done for the ’06 season, was done based on the assumption that Taylor was not going to be available.

Melton’s weight is down, and after a full-year of conditioning, he has a great deal of upside. Young (Selvin) will be healthier this year, and would start on at least half the teams in the Big 12. Even without Taylor, Texas running backs top to bottom are as good as any in the Big 12. Moreover, there is not a coach in the Big 12 that would not trade their complete RB and OL corp, for Texas’s complete RB and OL corp.

BTW Tylor is going to a NAIA school.

Edited by rbmcdonald

Are you kidding me, Taylor is the best back on that roster bar none. Hell is he is the best offensive player on that team. Id love to have taylor for 2 seasons after AD is gone in 07 and 08. If he gets his head on right that is.

Dude has power and speed. Charles is a Tatum bell clone, great in the open field, but average at best in between the tackles. He has talent, but telling people in Austin they can forget about AD, because he is there was hilarious at best. I cant wait until Oct to see Texas meltdown once again to Sooner Nation. Be thankful you had last yr, cause its going to be a while before Texas wins in Dallas again.

Edit to add, unless they play the 4th best team in the SEC in January. :D

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Are you kidding me, Taylor is the best back on that roster bar none. Hell is he is the best offensive player on that team. Id love to have taylor for 2 seasons after AD is gone in 07 and 08. If he gets his head on right that is.

Dude has power and speed. Charles is a Tatum bell clone, great in the open field, but average at best in between the tackles. He has talent, but telling people in Austin they can forget about AD, because he is there was hilarious at best. I cant wait until Oct to see Texas meltdown once again to Sooner Nation. Be thankful you had last yr, cause its going to be a while before Texas wins in Dallas again.

Edit to add, unless they play the 4th best team in the SEC in January. :D

Have you ever actually watched a football game?

Have to agree with rbmcdonald here Sarge. Charles is clearly the better of the two. Taylor was a nice 3rd down bac, but nothing more. If you think Taylor was a better between the tackles runner than Charles, you obviously haven't been paying atttention. As a Texas fan, I really don't care too much about losing Taylor, because a healthy Selvin Young is a better 3rd down back, and Chalres is by far and away the better runner.

Have to agree with rbmcdonald here Sarge. Charles is clearly the better of the two. Taylor was a nice 3rd down bac, but nothing more. If you think Taylor was a better between the tackles runner than Charles, you obviously haven't been paying atttention. As a Texas fan, I really don't care too much about losing Taylor, because a healthy Selvin Young is a better 3rd down back, and Chalres is by far and away the better runner.

Let's face it, for Sarge now that Taylor is no longer a 'Horn, he's the most hidden, undervalued gem in all of NCAA college level football. When he was a 'Horn, he was just a scrub.

I think that's it in a nutshell.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumor has it he's transferring to Texas College which is NAIA. Therefore the NCAA rules wouldnt apply to him. I guess Romance preferres natural grass over turf. :D

Texas College is prodominately black college with a football program that is only a couple of years old. It is currently ranked in the top 15 in the nations for NAIA schools. Texas College also had riots on campus in the last year.

where is he transferring? I do not know of another school with as many queers and hippies so he might be out of luck in find an equal.

local radio is reporting he is transferring to UW & the Pac 10- where all the talented backs play

we do have our share of queers & hippies here in Seattle as well.........

PAC 10 baby

Edited by wildcat2334

local radio is reporting he is transferring to UW & the Pac 10- where all the talented backs play

we do have our share of queers & hippies here in Seattle as well.........

PAC 10 baby

He better hope he doesnt get stuck with felony charges because if he does he can kiss the NCAA goodbye