[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning in the 2nd round (12 team or more)

jzicc

Enlighten me fellow huddlers...

I just can't ever see how taking PM in the 2nd can ever be the right move. Obviously, I don't think anyone would ever go WR in the 1st and then PM in the second, so what you are looking at is having weak WR (if you wait until the 4th to pick one) or weak RB (if you wait until the 4th to take your 2nd rb). Also, you can't pick Gates or Shockey or Gonzalez as you are too busy filling the other holes. The jist is that IMO, Manning in the 2nd is not a viable draft as the Value gained is less than what is lost. Comments please (if I'm stating the obvious with this thread no need for crazy insults --- I'm a fragile FF'r :D

I think its definitly doable in the middle of the 2nd round where you could still reach a top WR in the 3rd and then a serviceable RB in the 4th. This would give you a top player at each position except for TE.

Most Top 10 WR's will be off the board by middle of the 3rd Round. In most mocks that I have completed the run on WR's start around the beginning of the 2nd round when everyone is scrambling to get a top 10 WR. After the Top 12 RB's have been drafted there seems to be a trend to get that "elite" WR esp. with all the RBBC and intangibles/risk of a good RB2. The value seems to be at the WR position and then comeback and get that RB2 in the 3rd round. I think you are sadly mistaken thinking you can still get an "elite" WR or even an upside RB2 in the 4th round. Drafting a QB, even one of Manning's stature is a fundamental mistake. A QB can be drafted in the 4th or 5th round with good value while your core RB's and WR's should be drafted in the 1st few rounds. That's just my opinion.

Edited by ghengis_chan

Most Top 10 WR's will be off the board by middle of the 3rd Round. In most mocks that I have completed the run on WR's start around the beginning of the 2nd round when everyone is scrambling to get a top 10 WR. After the Top 12 RB's have been drafted there seems to be a trend to get that "elite" WR esp. with all the RBBC and intangibles/risk of a good RB2. The value seems to be at the WR position and then comeback and get that RB2 in the 3rd round. I think you are sadly mistaken thinking you can still get an "elite" WR or even an upside RB2 in the 4th round. Drafting a QB, even one of Manning's stature is a fundamental mistake. A QB can be drafted in the 4th or 5th round with good value while your core RB's and WR's should be drafted in the 1st few rounds. That's just my opinion.

2 rounds in a 12-team league is 24 players...you mean to tell me that PM is not worthy of a top 24 pick? C'mon guys... :D

It sounds like you would not even draft PM in the 3rd ---- I don't have a problem with Pm in the 3rd --- your thoughts..

2 rounds in a 12-team league is 24 players...you mean to tell me that PM is not worthy of a top 24 pick? C'mon guys... :D

the jist is that IMO, Manning in the 2nd is not a viable draft as the Value gained is less than what is lost.

Edited by jzicc

While an early QB pick is not my thing, its certainly doable with PM. You will almost certainly take a hit with the Tier 1 WR position since Rd 2 - early 3 wipes them out, but due to that it leaves a decent #2 RB in Rd 3. I think the TE position is quite deep this year, and good TEs can be found in the mid - late rounds. Rounds 4-5 still provide some nice Tier 2 WRs. So overall you could end up with the top QB in the game, a top RB1 and solid RB2, and 2 solid WRs. Again, its not my kind of strategy, but I wouldn't be uncomfortable with it either.

I've tried it once or twice in mock drafts and didn't like teams I ended up with. You're forcing yourself to wait until the 4th or take a WR, because if you take one in the 3rd, you're screwed at RB. I think it CAN work -- if Manning's numbers this year look more like '04 than '05, and you're able to snag some sleeper WRs in the later rounds (there are tons of candidates this year), but honestly I think it's too risky to attempt in a competitive league. Hoping for your later picks to outperform their draft position to make up for your weakness at WR and TE because you chased a QB too early is not wise, IMO. I much prefer to go RB, WR, RB, QB, TE (or WR if Shockey, Heap and Gonzo are gone). Gives you some firepower at all positions instead of just 2.

Besides, Palmer is on track to return for week 1 and be 100% (according to the Bengals), and you can usually get him in the 3rd or 4th round. He did outscore Manning last year.

I would consider taking PM at 2.06. and definitely at 2.10 since I would have one of the big 3 RBs. If you took PM at 2.06, you could still get D Jax or R. Williams in the 3rd and then possibly Dunn or Bush as #2 RB in the 4th. This would not be my preference, but it is doable without being screwed.

I would consider taking PM at 2.06. and definitely at 2.10 since I would have one of the big 3 RBs. If you took PM at 2.06, you could still get D Jax or R. Williams in the 3rd and then possibly Dunn or Bush as #2 RB in the 4th. This would not be my preference, but it is doable without being screwed.

I agree --- perhaps a better title here would be: " Manning before 2.10 -- feasible?"

Edited by jzicc

I think that if you take Manning early, then you really almost have to take some risks on high upside picks in the middle rounds to try to make up for it, where other owners can probably be more safe while filling in their rosters.

Just finished my first draft of the year. A 12 team redraft here at the huddle.

Had the 6th pick in the draft and took Manning in the 2nd round.

My first 10 rounds.....

1.06 James, Edgerrin ARI RB

2.07 Manning, Peyton IND QB

3.06 Jones, Kevin DET RB

4.07 Burress, Plaxico NYG WR T

5.06 Heap, Todd BAL TE

6.07 Rhodes, Dominic IND RB

7.06 Panthers, Carolina CAR Def...defenses worth alot in this scoring.

8.07 Kennison, Eddie KCC WR

9.06 Robinson, Koren MIN WR

10.07 Duckett, T.J. ATL RB

I'm relatively happy with this team. :D

Just finished my first draft of the year. A 12 team redraft here at the huddle.

Had the 6th pick in the draft and took Manning in the 2nd round.

My first 10 rounds.....

1.06 James, Edgerrin ARI RB

2.07 Manning, Peyton IND QB

3.06 Jones, Kevin DET RB

4.07 Burress, Plaxico NYG WR T

5.06 Heap, Todd BAL TE

6.07 Rhodes, Dominic IND RB

7.06 Panthers, Carolina CAR Def...defenses worth alot in this scoring.

8.07 Kennison, Eddie KCC WR

9.06 Robinson, Koren MIN WR

10.07 Duckett, T.J. ATL RB

I'm relatively happy with this team. :D

not bad but Kevin Jones rarely makes it out of round 2 --- Plax as a #1 is a little scary

i think PM in the 2nd is totally doable. I would not take him in the first since there are about 10 RBs that I have slotted as RB1.

Off the top of my head, I would do a RB1, Peyton then another RB (or maybe Gates) in the third. I am not convinced that WRs are consistent enough or score enough in our league (no point per reception) to warrant a first or second round pick, especially considering the derth of RB1s.

it is easier to find value at WR (and QB) than RB.

i have a list of 17 RBs that I would take in the first or second round, and if any fall into the third, I would pounce.

Dunn was gone with the 5th pick of the 3rd round in my 12 team redraft last year. Manning went 3rd overall :D .

You really set yourself up for failure by doing this. If he does return to 2004 form it could work but it is a buyer beware situation. I would consider it in the 3rd round but not the 2nd. 18 - 20 RB's go in the 1st 2 rounds in my league. There is one guy who always picks 3 in a row since we can use a 3rd in the flex spot.

to be honest, I don't remember the rest of his team...but I do know he didn't have Larry Johnson. 10 team league. redraft.

Do you still have a link to the site? I'd like to look at who he drafted. Was he just lucky or did he have a good draft startegy?

In all the competitve leagues I've been in, it's the guys burning early picks on WR's that get burned at the end of the season. I don't think you should take PM in the 2nd, because I don't think drafting QB's before the 5th is a great idea. Too many valuable and very serviceable QB's out there. The likes of Drew Bledsoe, Matt Hasselback, Kurt Warner, DMac later on.

My draft strategy (and I've yet to have a losing year) is almost always as follows.

rd 1 - Rb

rd 2 - Rb

rd 3 - Wr

rd 4 - Wr

rd 5 - Te

rd 6 - Qb/Rb

rd 7 - Wr

Rd 8 - Qb/Rb/Te

There are just too many Wr's and Qb's out there that you can get great value out of. Last season, I won my 14 team league, against a guy who had LJ/LT/Harrison in his starting lineup. What was mine in week 15?

Jake Plummer,

Tiki Barber,

Jonathan Wells,

Reggie Wayne,

Rod Smith,

Terry Glenn,

Jeremy Shockey,

Jason Elam,

Buccs D.