[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How many teams in your 12 team league

Dutch Oven

The league I have been in forever, started out at 10 and now it's 12 teams, has 8 teams that make the playoffs. A couple of owners who have had really good teams in the regular season, but lose in the playoffs are making a push to reduce the playoff teams to 6. I think this sucks for most involved, but I am going to put it to a league vote.

My questions to you all are: 1) How many teams in your 12 team league make the playoffs; 2) Do you all use divisions or do you just take the top 6-8 overall teams, and 3) If you do use divisions, do you play each team in your division twice as in the NFL?

Thanks for any input

-Dutch

6 teams make the playoffs. It used to be eight but that is just too many. What's the point of having a regular season if everyone gets in?

I know that the majority of 12 team leagues have six teams make the playoffs. In my local league, eight teams make the playoffs. It was even that way for the first two years when it was a ten team league. :D We have some goofy rules, but this is one that has worked for us. It's a ten player keeper league, and the teams are very balanced. It's always a tie breaker for seeding the last four spots or so. We had a stretch of two years in a row where the eight seed won the playoffs.

Now we give division winners money. That has made it a little easier to swallow if an eighth seed wins it all.

I didn't answer the other questions. We have three divisions. Each team plays every team in the division twice. Each team also plays every team not in the division once. The last week of the season there is a double header where the teams play two division games. It keeps things interesting.

In my 12-team local, 5 teams make the playoffs. We have 3 divisions with the division winners getting a first round bye in the playoffs and the two wildcard teams playing in the first round. Everyone plays each team in their division twice and each team outside their division once.

Someone said it before and I have to agree, 8 playoff teams for a 12-team league is too many IMO.

What's the point of having a regular season if everyone gets in?

I agree ... 8 teams is too many teams to make the playoffs in a 12 team league ... why have a regular season at all?

I'm in five 12 team leagues ... all but one of them have 6 teams going to the playoffs, the other has 4.

Edited by Grits and Shins

The top team for the regular season gets a payout and then the top 8 go to the playoffs. The playoffs are 4 weeks based on total points instead of head to head (from MVP Chanllenge). Each team has a regular season bonus of 10 pts for each win. If you go 9-4 in the regular season, you begin the playoffs with 90 pts. There is usually a 30 point spread starting the playoffs so there is an advantage to do well in the regular season, but you can make it up if you did not have a good regular season.

The league I have been in forever, started out at 10 and now it's 12 teams, has 8 teams that make the playoffs. A couple of owners who have had really good teams in the regular season, but lose in the playoffs are making a push to reduce the playoff teams to 6. I think this sucks for most involved, but I am going to put it to a league vote.

My questions to you all are: 1) How many teams in your 12 team league make the playoffs; 2) Do you all use divisions or do you just take the top 6-8 overall teams, and 3) If you do use divisions, do you play each team in your division twice as in the NFL?

Thanks for any input

-Dutch

I use a 12 team league with 3 dicvisions. Play divisional opponents 2 times and the other 8 teams 1 time. 3 division winners and 1 wild card. This sets up 14 weeks of regular season and 2 weeks of playoffs. Only the very good teams get in and the championship is in week 16. :D

6 teams make the playoffs. It used to be eight but that is just too many. What's the point of having a regular season if everyone gets in?

8 get in, but almost all the payout goes to the reg season 1st and 2nd place and hold the most bragging rights.