[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

About that Thomas Jones trade rumor

DMD

Angelo: Jones strain not serious

By K.C. Johnson

Tribune staff reporter

July 28, 2006, 4:08 PM CDT

For the second straight day, Thomas Jones missed practice with a strained hamstring. General manager Jerry Angelo said the team learned more about Jones' injury on Friday and the strain isn't believed to be severe enough to keep Jones out for any significant length of time.

Angelo also addressed the arrival at training camp of agent Drew Rosenhaus, who represents Jones and linebacker Lance Briggs. Angelo said he didn't envision reopening talks on a contact extension for Briggs.

Angelo also wouldn't specifically address whether or not he would be open to trading Jones, saying the team needs depth at running. However, if the right offer presented itself, Angelo could be open to it.

He said no way would he reopen talks on Briggs but would not comment on Jones. Sometimes not saying something is really saying something...

We as fantasy footballers can only hope something happens. As that would be good for Benson and Jones owners!

We as fantasy footballers can only hope something happens. As that would be good for Benson and Jones owners!

It's only good for Jones owners if he goes to a team where he would be the undisputed starter. If he goes to Denver as was rumored -- man what a mess that would be.

It's only good for Jones owners if he goes to a team where he would be the undisputed starter. If he goes to Denver as was rumored -- man what a mess that would be.

If he goes to DEN it would only be as a starting RB and for starting RB money. He would absolutely be the starter.

He said no way would he reopen talks on Briggs but would not comment on Jones. Sometimes not saying something is really saying something...

Bingo! As I mentioned in another post, the Chicago media and the local radio sports talk show guys suspect a possible trade is in the works. Nobody can prove anything though.

Were'nt the Colts rumored to be intersted at one time?

He'd be sick in Indy -- if, IF, they give him the rock over Rhodes and Addai. But Addai is highly overrated heading into drafts right now, IMO, and Rhodes, while a solid fill-in and a vet who knows that complex system, is not an every week #1 RB, and Polian/Dungy seem to know that or else they'd anoint him the starter after seeing what he could do as the Man in 2001. Maybe they have come out and said Rhodes is the #1 guy (Colts homers would know better), but Addai seems to be right in the mix (and fantasy owners are already penciling him in for Edge-like numbers), odd for a rook who reportedly isn't a great blocker/receiver our of backfield and has to absorb that playbook. In any case, I think Jones would be handed the reins and be in a little less of a RBBC in Indy than Denver, IMO. But as someone else pointed out, wherever (if) he goes, the team will not be paying starting RB money just to banish him to a RBBC.

Edited by msaint

Addai seems to be right in the mix (and fantasy owners are already penciling him in for Edge-like numbers), odd for a rook who reportedly isn't a great blocker/receiver our of backfield and has to absorb that playbook.

:D

1. I haven't heard ANYBODY saying Addai will put up "Edge-like numbers."

2. The two best areas of Addai's game -- and the reason he stood out from the other rookies on Indy's radar -- are his pass-catching and blocking. He's one of the best blocking RBs to come out of college in a LONG time and many scouts said his hands were as good as anybody in the draft (including WRs). Watch some highlights -- the kid can snag passes with the best of 'em.

3. The Colts playbook is one of the simplest in the NFL.

Ya know I got nothin' but love for ya, Mark, but that wasn't one of your better efforts. :D

:D

1. I haven't heard ANYBODY saying Addai will put up "Edge-like numbers."

2. The two best areas of Addai's game -- and the reason he stood out from the other rookies on Indy's radar -- are his pass-catching and blocking. He's one of the best blocking RBs to come out of college in a LONG time and many scouts said his hands were as good as anybody in the draft (including WRs). Watch some highlights -- the kid can snag passes with the best of 'em.

3. The Colts playbook is one of the simplest in the NFL.

Ya know I got nothin' but love for ya, Mark, but that wasn't one of your better efforts. :D

1. Rotoworld: "Addai is exceptionally tough, versatile, and quick in the first ten yards. He's Edgerrin James-lite and suddenly rivals Reggie Bush as the top rookie fantasy player for 2006. Dominic Rhodes will get carries, but we suspect Addai will start on the best offense in football." Um, I'd say that's just about anointing him the second coming of Edge and an instant fantasy impact player. And the fact that he's going in the mid/late-3rd round on average says fantasy owners are drinking the kool-aid.

2. I was dead wrong here on blocking/passing, had read otehrwise, and he apparently has been raising eyebrows with his hands at camp...but this does not sounds like an instant NFL starter: NFL.com -- "Despite natural athleticism and size, Addai plays small and has not been able to claim the starter's job all to himself. For a player with such quick feet and agility, he runs very upright, which really limits his power and explosiveness. Doesn't play anywhere close to his timed speed, and despite very good quickness and agility, he is not the type of runner that can make tacklers miss."

3. Simplest? I've always heard it's something out of NASA, with the complex audibles alone. Len P. ESPN.com: "...the suspicion is that Addai will play quickly if he can assimilate the offense...has studiousness, diligence and with a playbook that is as thick as the Colts' offensive manual is, those are necessary attributes." Maybe not NASA, but doesn't sounds like a children's pop-up book either, Swiss.

Right now, I'd still take Rhodes in round 6 as a #3/#4 RB over Addai in the third as a #2 RB.

1. Rotoworld: "Addai is exceptionally tough, versatile, and quick in the first ten yards. He's Edgerrin James-lite and suddenly rivals Reggie Bush as the top rookie fantasy player for 2006. Dominic Rhodes will get carries, but we suspect Addai will start on the best offense in football." Um, I'd say that's just about anointing him the second coming of Edge and an instant fantasy impact player. And the fact that he's going in the mid/late-3rd round on average says fantasy owners are drinking the kool-aid.

3. Simplest? I've always heard it's something out of NASA, with the complex audibles alone. Len P. ESPN.com: "...the suspicion is that Addai will play quickly if he can assimilate the offense...has studiousness, diligence and with a playbook that is as thick as the Colts' offensive manual is, those are necessary attributes." Maybe not NASA, but doesn't sounds like a children's pop-up book either, Swiss.

Right now, I'd still take Rhodes in round 6 as a #3/#4 RB over Addai in the third as a #2 RB.

1. Well, I think "Edge-lite" is more appropriate; it implies good numbers, but not Edge numbers. As for rivaling Reggie Bush as a rookie FF player...so? That doesn't say much to me. Neither figure to be surefire studs, given their situations, so it's not that bold a statement.

3. Lenny P's comments seem very off-the-cuff in that context. I've heard SEVERAL times from Colts players AND coaches (and Ron Jaworski) that they don't run very many plays, but they practice them intensely and have developed unrivaled consistency in execution. The audibles are a bit tricky and varied, I'm sure, since that's about the only "surprise" factor Manning still has.

EDIT: The rushing offense, ESPECIALLY, is not noted for its complexity. The only thing Addai really needs to know is whether he's running inside, running the stretch outside, or protecting his billion-dollar QB. :D

As for Rhodes vs. Addai and their relative value, I guess I can't disagree vehemently. A 6th on Rhodes is still too high for me, but the inherent risk of RBBC makes Addai a semi-unwise pick in the 3rd. :D

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

I too have heard the Colts' playbook is very, very complex. I think I might have heard that Addai was struggling with it. I'm not worried about him though.

The talk about the upright running style is of a bit concern to me though. Maybe because I think of Chris Brown. I also recall seeing big ol Brandon Jacobs getting blown up at the goal line a couple times last year.

The talk about the upright running style is of a bit concern to me though. Maybe because I think of Chris Brown. I also recall seeing big ol Brandon Jacobs getting blown up at the goal line a couple times last year.

I don't remember that being a problem with him in college. Either way, I see him fixing it sooner than later.

If he goes to DEN it would only be as a starting RB and for starting RB money. He would absolutely be the starter.

If he goes to Den, he is still under contract for the next two years at like 2.5 mil per.