[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Good article about Saunders, Gibbs, and the Redskins O

skins

Thanx Skins. What a great read :D

This caught my eye;

"On some of the interviews, without getting into specifics, you walked out there knowing you had no chance to get the job. On another, I remember thinking: 'These guys have no chance to win. They either can't, won't or don't know how.' There were a couple I would have liked, and it didn't work out."

Saunders interviewed for Head Coaching vacancies with Kansas, Minnesota, Houston, Oakland and Detroit.

Wonder which organization he was referring to with the bolded & italicized comment?

Say what you want to about Daniel Snyder, but he has hired a Hall of Fame head coach with mulitple superbowl rings in Gibbs; the best defensive co-ordinator in the league in Gregg Williams; and now lands the most successful OC in the NFL over the last 5 years in Saunders. That is one he11 of a coaching staff right there. Now, they do have some issues with personnel, especially the QB position, but this team under Gibbs leadership has amassed the pieces to make a serious run at the NFC Championship. I like their chances of making a deep playoff run this year or next. And if you are a Clinton Portis owner, you have to be absolutely thrilled with Saunders being the OC in Washington. He made a rb who was basically given up on in Baltimore, and made him the best ff player in the league in Priest Holmes. I am sky high on Portis again this year!

Edited by spain

Say what you want to about Daniel Snyder, but he has hired a Hall of Fame head coach with mulitple superbowl rings in Gibbs; the best defensive co-ordinator in the league in Gregg Williams; and now lands the most successful OC in the NFL over the last 5 years in Saunders. That is one he11 of a coaching staff right there. Now, they do have some issues with personnel, especially the QB position, but this team under Gibbs leadership has amassed the pieces to make a serious run at the NFC Championship. I like their chances of making a deep playoff run this year or next. And if you are a Clinton Portis owner, you have to be absolutely thrilled with Saunders being the OC in Washington. He made a rb who was basically given up on in Baltimore, and made him the best ff player in the league in Priest Holmes. I am sky high on Portis again this year!

Yer wisdom is unmatched when you agree with me.

Edited by skins

Yer wisdom is unmatched when you agree with me.

You might want to hold up on buying those Superbowl tickets just yet. Need a I remind you of the complete mess the Redskins were in only 3 short years ago under Steve Spurrier? Washington has come light years since then, but they have a ways to go yet. Getting Gibbs on board was a HUGH coup for Snyder. And now with Williams and Saunders in place, the coaching staff is complete. But this roster still has some major deficiencies. Namely, the QB position is uncertain. I dont know how much Brunell has left and I am not confident that Jason Campell is the answer. I watched him at Auburn and dont know if his success stemmed from his talent or the fact that he shared a backfield with Cadillac Williams AND Ronnie Brown. I think jettisoning Ramsey was smart and knew that Gibbs didnt have confidence in that kid at all. Seondly, that O-Line is going to need to improve if this team is going to make a deeper playoff run. They were absolutely brutal at times last year, although Portis had another productive campaign. Brown retired and there arent really any choices to take his place. And how will Llyod and Randel El fit in in the new scheme? Lots of offensive questions to answer.

Plus, Washington plays in what will argueably be the toughest division in football. The Cowboys and Giants will both be competitive and in a pitched battle with the Redskins for the division crown. And the Eagles, although certainly not the class of the division anymore, still should win some games. Plus the Skins non-conference games includes Indy, Jacksonville, Carolina, Atlanta, Tampa, and the Rams! That is a brutal schedule when you factor in their 3 division opponents twice. It will be a war of attrition and injuries could destroy any chance they might have to be a contender.

So, in conclusion, Washington is making strides to get back to the Superbowl. They have made some great hires. But their success this year is far from assured. But I do like their chances given the guys they have running the show.