[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

gumbo

Azazello1313

ohh man my house never smelled better than it does right now. :D

went real simple and straightforward this time.

chicken - 3 boneless breasts, spirnkled with a bit of tony chacere's creole seasoning, and thrown on the george foreman grill for a few minutes. cut into small bite size pieces and put aside.

sausage - good andouille can be hard to find in some parts of the country. i didn't try real hard, and ended up taking a bit of a gamble and bought some "german" sausage, made my this local company that makes great sausage, but....eh, usually if you can't get anduoille you're better off going with some of the spicy, smoky link thingys you can find in the grocery store. those are fine in gumbo, we'll see how this german stuff turns out. anyway, if it's raw sausage like this was, brown it up in a big saute pan with a little butter, slice it and set aside.

1 onion, 1 bell pepper, about 8 stalks of celery - the holy trinity of cajun cooking. you're looking for about equal amounts of all 3. chopped up, not too finely, put in a big bowl together and set aside.

parsley, garlic - i dunno, maybe 1/3 cup of parsley chopped as fine as you can. 7-8 cloves of garlic.

ok, time to make the roux. if you still have that pan with the sausage fat out, use it. add oil, maybe half cup, veggie or canola is fine. medium heat. if you keep bacon drippings around you can use that for your oil instead. then add about half a cup of flour. as soon as the flour hits the oil, you need to be stirring constantly. best to use a wooden spoon, because some plastic spatulas and chit will melt. like i said, stir constantly and make sure you don't miss any spots, if even a tiny bit of the flour burns it's gonna taste nasty. but you wanna keep stirring until all of it gets a nice, chocolatey brown color, porbably 10 minutes or so. you can stop a little sooner if you want, or you can keep going a little longer until it's almost black. the flavor gets deeper and more intense the longer you go, but you also run the risk of burning. so it's a bit of a tradeoff.

when the roux is as dark as you want it to be, throw in the celery, green pepper and onion. this will cool the roux down and stop it cooking instantly. stir it all together, and let it go at that same heat for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. right now you should be enjoying one of the most amazing smells you'll ever come across. go ahead and add in the parsley and garlic and let it go for a minute or two more.

now go ahead and dump the whole mess into a big stock pot. you don't want to leave any of that flavor behind, so take a couple cans of chicken stock and do a quick deglaze to get all the bits of roux and such, then pour all that into your stock pot. add two cans of okra (frozen is fine too, or fresh of course if you can find it). add the meat. you CAN add a can of chopped tomatoes here, but i prefer not to. one thing i like to add is one of those little bottles of clam juice. finish it off with a couple tablespoons of cayenne pepper based sauce (like franks, or louisiana hot sauce). bring to a boil, then let simmer covered for a few hours. serve over white rice, dusted with a little gumbo file' if you choose.

the german sausage was....interesting. much milder than your typical gumbo sausage, and as a result the whole dish was a lot more subtle than usual (even with copious amounts of louisiana hot sauce). i'm actually glad i made it that way this time, but as a general rule i'd still advise finding a good andouille and starting your gumbo there.

Sounds yummy Az. Love a good gumbo. I usually go with some butter in my roux prep, ever done that?. Some rockshrimp to go with the sausage and chicken would work well too. BTW Emeril has a pretty good spicy sausage that sells commercially. Had to revert to that last time I did a batch. Now I'm hungry, thanks :D

Boneless chicken breasts, German sausage, canned okra and clam juice?!?!? I don't know what you made, but it wasn't a f'n gumbo. :D

:D:D (the really bad word) you

the clam juice is a good ingredient, you need to try it. and sorry, but fresh okra isn't easy to come by up here. you should be giving me props, most yankee poseurs will skip on the okra entirely and this i will never do. if i was making a bigger batch i could throw a whole f'n chicken in there, but those frozen breasts in a bag are what i had around and, frankly, they're perfect for throwing in a gumbo.

Edited by Azazello1313

the clam juice is a good ingredient, you need to try it. and sorry, but fresh okra isn't easy to come by up here. you should be giving me props, most yankee poseurs will skip on the okra entirely and this i will never do. if i was making a bigger batch i could throw a whole f'n chicken in there, but those frozen breasts in a bag are what i had around and, frankly, they're perfect for throwing in a gumbo.

Touchy-touchy. :D Good for you, Danny-boy. Too f'n hot for gumbo down here right now. I'll wait 'til it's cooler. :D

Boneless chicken breasts, German sausage, canned okra and clam juice?!?!? I don't know what you made, but it wasn't a f'n gumbo. :D

:D

A for effort. Dont listen to coonasz Dave, throw whatever you got in the pot. And when ya do the wash on Monday get ready for the beans.

ok, time to make the roux. if you still have that pan with the sausage fat out, use it. add oil, maybe half cup, veggie or canola is fine. medium heat. if you keep bacon drippings around you can use that for your oil instead. then add about half a cup of flour. as soon as the flour hits the oil, you need to be stirring constantly. best to use a wooden spoon, because some plastic spatulas and chit will melt. like i said, stir constantly and make sure you don't miss any spots, if even a tiny bit of the flour burns it's gonna taste nasty. but you wanna keep stirring until all of it gets a nice, chocolatey brown color, porbably 10 minutes or so. you can stop a little sooner if you want, or you can keep going a little longer until it's almost black. the flavor gets deeper and more intense the longer you go, but you also run the risk of burning. so it's a bit of a tradeoff.

You need to stir that stuff for at least, and I mean, at least 40-45 minutes to make a decent roux...10 minutes and all your getting is a sauce...