[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hey DMD

gilthorp

DMD,

What's up in Jacksonville? I thought I saw that Wilford was the #1, but now I see that R. Williams, one of your favorite guys, is listed as the primary--and Wilford has moved to the #3.

Not that I expect this to be the case by opening day, but is this accurate for now?

DMD,

What's up in Jacksonville? I thought I saw that Wilford was the #1, but now I see that R. Williams, one of your favorite guys, is listed as the primary--and Wilford has moved to the #3.

Not that I expect this to be the case by opening day, but is this accurate for now?

Last I read (about a week ago) Wilford was technically listed as number three because JAX would prefer him to play out of the slot. It is, however, a decent assumption that it won't take much for Wilford to become the team's primary or secondary pass target by mid season or so. He is an effective receiver and built a fair rapport with Leftwich last year. Really, now that Jimmy Smith retired, JAX's #1 WR spot is up for grabs. So I'm not putting much weight into Wilford's #3 tag at this point.

Edited by yo mama

Last I read (about a week ago) Wilford was technically listed as number three because JAX would prefer him to play out of the slot. It is, however, a decent assumption that it won't take much for Wilford to become the team's primary or secondary pass target by mid season or so. He is an effective receiver and built a fair rapport with Leftwich last year. Really, now that Jimmy Smith retired, JAX's #1 WR spot is up for grabs. So I'm not putting much weight into Wilford's #3 tag at this point.

The JAX depth chart has been all over the place. It is very easy to find conflicting information and rather hard to hear, read or see collobaorating information that is reliable.

The problem really is not Matt Jones. He is locked down as a starting split end pretty firmly. But Ernest Wilford and Reggie Williams are both going for the flanker spot (or as pointed out above, the slot) and while Ernest clearly outplayed Williams last year, the Jags are still not giving up on Reggie Williams. I know he cost a lot as a first round pick in 2004, but he's just not done much (see Michael Jenkins, "My Life in Atlanta").

In two seasons, he has a whopping one touchdown, 22 starts and 713 yards on 62 catches.

Wilford has nine touchdowns, 11 starts and 952 yards on 60 catches.

Why they are not just handing it to Wilford I do not understand. Hopefully it clears up in camp quickly.

In two seasons, he has a whopping one touchdown, 22 starts and 713 yards on 62 catches.

Which, if you ask Seahawks21, was because Jax hasn't figured out how to use someone of his great talent. :D

I guess we'll just have to take a wait and see approach to this situation. Like DMD said, hopefully this clears up soon.

While Reggie Williams is not a burner, Wilford makes him look like Carl Lewis. Wilford is just too slow to be a starter.

D-coordinators have to game-plan more for the starters, and I think the Jax coaching staff believes Williams' better speed gives them more of an edge in the game-planning department. They know Wilford can make things happen with his opportunities, but I'm guessing they think he'd be more effective if he "surprised" defenses out of the slot. Just my :D.

[quotre]I don't see any of the wr's doing too much this year... I guess its just me, but I see them falling flat on their face this season...

What do you base that on?

Maybe he's seen them play in person. God knows that I have, and that was with Jimmy Smith drawing coverage.

Wilford is currently listed as the #3 WR on JAX - why, I have no idea. He lulls the fans & sportswriter to sleep because he's so dependable, and the knock on him is that he supposedly isn't fast enough to start as a wideout.

I find that quite hard to believe, since he had a 16.6 ypc last year - 2.0 ypc better than second best J Smith - to go with his team leading 7 receiving TDs as he established that he was the second best WR on the team behind Smith.

If JAX is trying to force Reggie Williams into the #1 WR role, they're going to leave their best WR on the bench. Stupid. I'm hanging onto to Wilford in my dynasty league & think he'll seperate himself from Williams as training camp progresses. Who cares if the guy doesn't have the sexy straight line speed, if he gets open, catches the ball, has a nose for the end zone, and gets good YAC?

Edited by Bronco Billy

Wilford is currently listed as the #3 WR on JAX - why, I have no idea. He lulls the fans & sportswriter to sleep because he's so dependable, and the knock on him is that he supposedly isn't fast enough to start as a wideout.

I find that quite hard to believe, since he had a 16.6 ypc last year - 2.0 ypc better than second best J Smith - to go with his team leading 7 receiving TDs as he established that he was the second best WR on the team behind Smith.

If JAX is trying to force Reggie Smith into the #1 WR role, they're going to leave their best WR on the bench. Stupid. I'm hanging onto to Wilford in my dynasty league & think he'll seperate himself from Williams as training camp progresses. Who cares if the guy doesn't have the sexy straight line speed, if he gets open, catches the ball, has a nose for the end zone, and gets good YAC?

I'd agree with this. Seems like a classic case of wanting one player to do well when he won't and knowing that eventually they will return to what has worked for two years.

If JAX is trying to force Reggie Smith into the #1 WR role, they're going to leave their best WR on the bench. Stupid. I'm hanging onto to Wilford in my dynasty league & think he'll seperate himself from Williams as training camp progresses. Who cares if the guy doesn't have the sexy straight line speed, if he gets open, catches the ball, has a nose for the end zone, and gets good YAC?

I'd agree with this. Seems like a classic case of wanting one player to do well when he won't and knowing that eventually they will return to what has worked for two years.

So is it Reggie Smith or Reggie Williams ?

Reggie Williams. My bad - was typing about Wilford's numbers compared to Smith's last year & obviously got my brain stuck in one gear too low.

:D Been there, done that, BB.

Was just making sure I had my scorecard correct.

Jax has the largest receiving corps in the league, maybe of all time.

Who cares how fast you are when you can't be tackled by one 5'10" corner?

They are not the best ever, but to say they will suck... well, I wish you were in my league.

:D that's cool and all, but i guess i put a little more stock in the running and catching departments. :D

It doesn't hurt to have a QB that can quickly go through his progressions instead of just standing there like a statue waiting for his primary receiver to get open either. Then there's always those little things like accuracy and mechanics.

It doesn't hurt to have a QB that can quickly go through his progressions instead of just standing there like a statue waiting for his primary receiver to get open either. Then there's always those little things like accuracy and mechanics.

well, yeah. but leftwich is ALSO really big. :D

Leftwich's only problem is an unlucky string of injuries. On the field, he's improved steadily and substantially each year. I really don't get his bad rap -- especially in Jacksonville. It's not like there are a bunch of Favres and Mannings growing on trees. Leftwich is still in the top half of NFL QBs.

Call me :D , but I think there will be another guy that will be talked about in Jax. In 2004, Troy Edwards had pretty decent year and built up a good rapport with Leftwich. Why they cut him in camp last year was beyond me. It's still to early to call and this WR competition should be a joy to watch in camp this year.

Leftwich's only problem is an unlucky string of injuries. On the field, he's improved steadily and substantially each year. I really don't get his bad rap -- especially in Jacksonville. It's not like there are a bunch of Favres and Mannings growing on trees. Leftwich is still in the top half of NFL QBs.

It's always tough following the legend of a great QB on a team. Apparently the JAX fans just can't let go of Mark Brunnell.

I will say this a BUST is a BUST. If Zona would have just pushed the issue with B. Johnson. Boldin would not be the player he is today. They need to wake up and play the best players and quit worrying about draft status. Wilford works his but off and knows how to get open and catch the ball in CLUTCH situations. Willams dont. The more they give Williams a chance when he dont deserve it the more they will hender Leftwich.