[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Addai signs

CaptainHook

Of all the headlines he has seen in recent weeks, one stood out to the guy who plays quarterback for the Colts.

He saw it Sunday morning.

And it involved 2006 NFL first-round draft selection Joseph Addai.

The headline said Addai, a running back from Louisiana State University, had signed a contract with the Colts and would report to camp on time. That indeed happened Sunday, something two-time quarterback Peyton Manning called “a real positive.”

“I called him on the way up here,” Manning said Sunday morning as the Colts reported to 2006 Training Camp at the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology.

“He's excited and I know the team’s excited to have him.”

Addai’s signing was among a flurry of Colts transactions this weekend as the team prepared for its eighth consecutive training camp in Terre Haute. By Sunday, six of the Colts’ seven selections in last April’s NFL Draft had signed and all six – Addai, offensive tackles Charlie Johnson (sixth round) and Michael Toudouze (fifth), cornerback T.J. Rushing (seventh), cornerback Tim Jennings (second) and safety Antoine Bethea – arrived by the 2 p.m. reporting time.

Duration and terms of the contracts were not disclosed.

Addai’s on-time arrival marked the second consecutive season the Colts’ first-round selection signed before training camp. The Colts signed cornerback Marlin Jackson shortly before camp began last season.

“We thought that was going to be the case,” Colts Head Coach Tony Dungy said. “The years I’ve been here, (Colts President) Bill (Polian) and his group have pretty much done that. You get that message to the young guys and tell them how important it is for them to be here.”

Only linebacker Freddie Keiaho – a third-round selection – remained unsigned, a situation Polian attributed not to Keiaho, Keiaho’s agent or the team, but to a newly-installed rookie salary cap.

“I understand where his agent is coming from,” Polian said. “This is a completely non-functional rookie system in this new Collective Bargaining Agreement. It has forced clubs to do things they never, ever would have done under the old system.

“I can’t imagine how it was constructed – certainly not with the input of any football people. It’s a problem which we understand. I’m not sure if we can solve it or not. We’re going to work on that tonight (Sunday). We’ve had communication and it continues.

“But the structure that he wants is impossible under this system. I understand why he wants it and he’s got every reason to ask for it, but it’s impossible to do.

“It’s the fault of the system. Not us or the agent.”

Addai’s arrival and signing, coming in the final days leading to camp, was a topic of conversation among veteran arrivals, and Addai drew one of the biggest crowds of media as he checked into camp.

“I feel comfortable,” said Addai, the 30th overall selection of the draft. “I feel like I can start off with everybody else and be on the same page as everybody. The offense is really complex, and I felt like it was really important for me to get here on the first day so I can be on Page One when everybody starts.”

Of his Sunday pre-arrival conversation with Manning, Addai said, “He congratulated me. He was really happy that I’d be in camp on time. Those are the kinds of things he was really saying – just congratulating me on my deal and all that.”

Addai (5-feet-11, 214 pounds), who started 19 of 51 games at Louisiana State University, is expected to enter camp as a backup to veteran Dominic Rhodes, who will open camp as the starter. Veteran James Mungro also could play extensively, Dungy and Polian have said in recent weeks.

Still, although he may not start immediately, Addai is critical to the Colts’ plans this season, veteran teammates said on Sunday, and that made his on-time arrival critical, too.

“It’s definitely a big, big help for us,” Colts Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday said. “You didn’t want him not coming into until camp was done, missing that much. I think him being here he’s going to understand the game quite a bit faster and he’ll understand the speed of the game a whole lot faster.

“We’ll see what he can do – without getting hit, obviously – but it’s always an advantage to have guys here and playing with everybody.”

Said tight end Dallas Clark, “It’s taken care of? That’s awesome. That’s huge. As a rookie, this is the time you need to come in and really get on that roll and get in a groove. It’s huge. It’s going to help him and help us. I think everybody’s definitely excited about that.”

Manning, who played seven of his first eight NFL seasons with former Colts running back Edgerrin James – who signed with the Arizona Cardinals as a free agent this past off-season – also said Addai being in camp on time is important.

During the team’s recent summer school sessions, Manning said he and Addai watched film together, including one session in which they watched a game against Tennessee last season. During that session, they focused on the intricacies of the Colts’ no-huddle offense, with Manning explaining in detail why the Colts changed certain plays at the line of scrimmage.

It’s that sort of learning, Manning said, that Addai will continue during camp, and it’s that complexity that made his on-time arrival crucial.

“The summer school and the minicamps are good,” Manning said, “but until you put the pads on, there’s always another level to take it to. This will be great work for him to just get great repetition in training camp – for him and Dominic both. It could be could be by committee or one guy come out of this camp as the legitimate starter, we don’t know. That’s what training camp is for – to get the competition with shoulder pads on, and to get the chemistry between the starting unit.”

Manning said he wanted to be cautious not to praise Addai too extensively, and not to make comparisons with James, but he said Addai has thus far progressed rapidly.

“The guy’s got enough pressure on him as it is – comparisons and what not,” Manning said. “He has picked things up pretty quickly. I think playing in an advanced offense at LSU, playing against different defenses and different blitzes, he has a good idea of what’s going on. The thing about this offense is what’s in the playbook isn’t exactly what happens out there on the field. I think it frustrates a lot of rookies, and especially free agents. They’re like, 'Wait a minute, this was the play, but it’s not the play that’s actually run.’

“I’m like, ‘Welcome to the Colts’ offense.’ That’s the story of our offense, but he’s picking up the changes and the ins and outs of the offense.”

link

Dominic Rhodes has been there before.

His words on Monday were those of a veteran who doesn’t get overly excited about one training camp practice.

Joseph Addai? The rookie?

A bit more wide-eyed.

“I was kind of nervous,” Addai said. “I think that’s usual, but I think overall I did pretty good.”

The two Colts running backs, opposites in terms of NFL experience, have a few very important elements in common, each said Monday.

They are working hard.

They are taking advantage of opportunity.

And they are competing.

All of which means the duo is very much the focus of attention as the Colts begin 2006 Training Camp at the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Terre Haute.

“That’s something both of those guys realize they’re going to be into,” Colts quarterback Peyton Manning said Monday moments after the first practice of camp. “A 1st-and-10 run in a practice here in Terre Haute is going to be analyzed and broken down and it’s probably a good test for them to get ready for the season.

“Those guys will be scrutinized and I think both of them are ready for the challenge.”

The scrutiny on the running back position actually began well before Monday. Since Edgerrin James, the franchise’s all-time leading rusher, signed as an unrestricted free agent with Arizona in the off-season, the media and fans have speculated about who will start this season.

“You’re replacing a tremendous player,” Colts Head Coach Tony Dungy said. “The thing we try to tell those guys is to do what they do. That’s what it looked like today. Both guys got a chance to show what they can do and some different talents they have.

“That’s the way it’s probably going to be all year.”

Rhodes, who rushed for more than 1,100 yards as an undrafted rookie in 2001, is entering his sixth NFL season. He entered camp as the starter at the position, and during Monday morning’s drills, he worked with the first team.

“It’s normal,” Rhodes said of working with the starters. “I’ve done it before. It’s no different, just understanding your role. You’ve got to put a little bit more concentration into this thing, and just be ready to help this team win.

“I’m going to earn it – you know what I’m saying? I just want to go out and earn it and make my teammates respect me and give everything I’ve got, every practice, and put in the work to be the starter.”

Addai, the 30th overall selection in this past April’s NFL Draft, said Monday he’s not overly concerned about who starts, but said, “Everybody wants to be the man.”

“That’s just natural,” he said. “But you’ve got to be smart about it and just learn. I’m patient. I try to practice so I can be ready when coach calls me.”

Both players were ready early Monday. Although Rhodes later called it a sluggish practice because of the heat, Manning said he caught passes well, which the quarterback said didn’t surprise him because that long has been a strength of Rhodes.

Early in practice, Addai turned in one of the biggest plays of the morning when he took a handoff from Manning on the Colts’ trademark stretch play. He eluded a defender, made a hard cut and turned the play into a long gain.

“It felt good to come out and just build a little confidence,” Addai said.

Addai, who signed a contract over this past weekend and reported on time, said, “it was real good just to come out here in pads and start off right.”

“I think that’s just what I needed,” he said. “I’m just going into the situation and trying to take advantage of it. When I get the chance, I’ll go out there and play hard.”

On Sunday, Manning praised Addai’s work ethic, and both Manning and center Jeff Saturday said they had every confidence the running game will be effective no matter who starts the season. Addai said his biggest challenge as a rookie likely will be adjusting to the speed of the NFL and the Colts’ complex offense.

“I think the biggest thing is getting with the older players and trying to understand the plays the way they understand the plays,” he said.

Rhodes, after five years, has a grasp of the offense, and he said he has enough experience to not worry where Addai was selected.

“There’s always somebody behind you,” Rhodes said, “whether it be first round, free agent – it doesn’t matter. Everybody’s hungry to get the job done. I’m not looking at (Addai) being a first-round pick. I wasn’t a first-round pick and I still came out there and played.”

Rhodes, after spending the last five seasons as a backup to James, said just having the opportunity to earn a starting job is more than enough incentive for this training camp.

“I was at home for a whole week and I was just ready to leave,” Rhodes said. “I’m just ready for it all to get started. I’m ready for it all to get started. I can’t wait to get out there.

“That’s the most exciting part, that the opportunity is there again to go out and be the starter. I can’t tell you how happy and excited I am. I just want to go out there and shut a lot of people up, you know what I’m saying?

“I just plan on going out there and making sure they don’t ever want to take me out. That’s the bottom line.”

link

Joseph Addai impressed Colts personnel officials enough while in college to be the team’s first-round draft selection last April.

So far in camp, he has continued impressing.

On Monday, Addai – a running back from Louisiana State University – had a long run over the right sideline that was the highlight of the day. On Tuesday, Addai got open down the left sideline and caught a 20-yard out from Colts quarterback Peyton Manning.

PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS

--- Addai showed his skills as a pass receiver throughout the morning session, catching several short passes from Manning.

--- Veteran running back Dominic Rhodes caught a 20-yard pass from Manning on a swing pass out of the backfield.

--- Rhodes also had a long reception down the sideline and a quick run through the middle.

link

Joseph Addai impressed Colts personnel officials enough while in college to be the team’s first-round draft selection last April.

So far in camp, he has continued impressing.

On Monday, Addai – a running back from Louisiana State University – had a long run over the right sideline that was the highlight of the day. On Tuesday, Addai got open down the left sideline and caught a 20-yard out from Colts quarterback Peyton Manning.

PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS

--- Addai showed his skills as a pass receiver throughout the morning session, catching several short passes from Manning.

--- Veteran running back Dominic Rhodes caught a 20-yard pass from Manning on a swing pass out of the backfield.

--- Rhodes also had a long reception down the sideline and a quick run through the middle.

link

Looks like this could be a real battle with no clear winner as far as fantasy football is concerned. Stay tuned...