[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ron Dayne article

Bronco Billy

RMN article on Ron Dayne

Nice article of Dayne here. Some interesting snippets:

And while much of the attention nationally has been focused on Tatum Bell's breakaway ability, it's Dayne who consistently has been getting the first turns with the No. 1 offense, including Friday during the initial two-a- day practices of training camp.

Cynics who witnessed Dayne's limited contributions with New York generally have scoffed at Dayne's chances at success. But perhaps lost in the translation is the Broncos kept Dayne and jettisoned Anderson because they viewed Dayne as a younger option whose talents were a fit for their system

But (Tiki) Barber has another theory why Dayne's stature began to drop. It had to do with a change in offensive philosophy in 2001, centered on deception and misdirection plays that suited Barber's running style but not Dayne's.

"When Ron was in the game, they literally ran two or three plays and that was it," Barber said. "So while we were diversifying the offense for me, we weren't diversifying it for him. And it made every time he was in the game very predictable. Everybody in the stadium, much less the guys on the other side of the ball, knew what we were going to do."

Dayne related one instance with New York on a fourth-down carry when the defense was "calling the play out by the full name" - 36 Power.

"And that's what I was running every time, too," Dayne said. "I couldn't even fake them and look this way. They'd be like, 'He's coming right here.' " …

His size belies the fact he isn't a battering ram as a runner but more of a glider with a quick burst to the hole.

(Giants’) Coaches saw him as Jerome Bettis or Natrone Means, someone who would wear down defenses come the fourth quarter. He was miscast almost from the start, a pure tailback residing in a bruiser's body.

"He hasn't been a smash- mouth runner," (Former Wisconson head coach) Alvarez said. "He wasn't a smash-mouth runner here, although he's a very physical runner. But he's a guy that's not going to go in and slam it in there. He's a good zone runner. That's what he is."

"I think he's more comfortable with what we do," offensive coordinator Rick Dennison said. "He's spent time doing it. In camp last year, he didn't get a whole lot of turns. He was kind of mired in the depth chart back in there, and now he's moved up and done well.

"He's a big guy who has good feet and goes downhill. He can go through guys and is quick enough to go around them. He'll always move the chains. And that's what we're all about."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is pretty consistent with what I've been saying for a while. Dayne was completely misused in the Ginats' system & is a very good fit in a zone blocking sysem like DEN's. He's still running as the #1 RB, which I would expect to stay in place into the regular season unless he seriously craps himself in the preseason.

So BB, if you draft right this second, do you take Tatum or Dayne...and what round?

I take Dayne, and unless I'm in a draft w/ DEN owners, I can get him in the 5th round fairly safely. Let someone else take T Bell a round earlier - he's going to be a CoP RB. Dayne is the better value, and I know I can get Mike Bell to back him up with my last pick in the draft. Dayne is also going to give you more consistent production, while Bell is going to have more spikes in his FF numbers.

I've got Dayne projected at:

245 rushes for 1073 yards and 8 TDs

13 catches for 102 yds & 0 TDs

and Bell projected at:

180 rushes for 912 yards and 7 TDs

21 catches for 238 yds and 1 TD.

Edited by Bronco Billy

It looks like you just kept Anderson's #'s from last year and put "Dayne" at the front.

It looked to me like Anderson wore down badly at the end of the season last year. I don't see the same issue happening with Dayne this year. The only issue I can't get ahold of is how much of an RBBC will be used this year vs. last year. Shanny may just go with the hot hand during each game, but start Dayne and then put in Bell later in the 1st. I'll have to watch a little preseason before this is settled.

It looks like you just kept Anderson's #'s from last year and put "Dayne" at the front.

It looked to me like Anderson wore down badly at the end of the season last year. I don't see the same issue happening with Dayne this year. The only issue I can't get ahold of is how much of an RBBC will be used this year vs. last year. Shanny may just go with the hot hand during each game, but start Dayne and then put in Bell later in the 1st. I'll have to watch a little preseason before this is settled.

I'd rather have Anderson's numbers from last year:

239 rushes for 1014 yds & 12 TDs

18 catches for 212 yds & 1 TD

But I do think Dayne this year will function in a very similar manner to Anderson last year.

I could be very much the same as last year. I still think Shanny want's Bell to win the starting role, but he's got to grab it and significantly outperform Dayne.

If Dayne does end up the number #1 and they have the same split as last year, then Dayne ends up the season with better #'s than Anderson in both yds. and tds.

BB, great article, thanks. I agree that Dayne was TOTALLY misused in NY. Watched him for 4 years at UW...the guy has talent....and I do plan on drafting him...I can only imagine him doing well behind the Denver-line...