[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DEN's other Bell

Bronco Billy

RMN link

THE OTHER BELL: Defensive tackle Gerard Warren was walking off the practice field when he was asked his impressions of running back Mike Bell - and was stumped.

"I don't know who Mike Bell is," he said.

Warren is one of the only ones, then, who hasn't noticed the undrafted rookie running back from the University of Arizona in early workouts.

Bell has made several impressive runs, showing excellent vision, an ability to burst through the hole and cutback skills in the open field.

"That kid can run, man," quarterback Jake Plummer said. "Man, I like him."

On one play Sunday morning, Bell took a pitch left, sprinted into the open field, then took on defensive tackle Antwon Burton, sending the defender's helmet flying.

Bell repeatedly has made crowd- pleasing runs.

Shanahan called Bell's camp performance "impressive."

"A lot of players see him making some plays that they haven't seen in a while," Shanahan said. "He's right in the mix."

Bell has been getting much of his work against second- and third- team players, so there are inroads to be made. But he clearly has surpassed Cecil Cobbs at this early stage as the No. 3 back behind Ron Dayne and Tatum Bell - with a bullet.

"It's a great blocking scheme," Mike Bell said. "I've been waiting my whole life to run in it."

Mike Bell grew up a Broncos fan and studied Denver's system. Arizona ran a similar zone offense but had problems on the offensive line and with execution. But predraft tape study had the Broncos believing he potentially could be an impact player anyway.

That faith has been demonstrated with an early workload that has surprised Bell.

"It shows they have some confidence in me," he said. "Even though I know I have a lot of areas I need to improve on, especially in terms of the speed of the game, picking up blitzes and making correct reads, just them giving me a chance is an excellent opportunity for me."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If all the RBs stay healthy, Cedric Cobbs is in trouble. I liked Bell a lot when DEN picked him up as a UDFA right after the draft - he runs like a DEN RB, doesn't have great receiving skills - which isn't a detriment for a RB in Shanahan's O. In a normal draft where more than 17 RBs (including FBs) were selected like what happened this year, Bell would have probably been a 6th round pick by DEN - sound familiar?

In any case, this is a guy you might want to have on your radar as a very deep sleeper.

He was a somewhat popular sleeper (oxymoron?) in dynasty rookie drafts this year. I traded up to grab him with the 80th pick and immediately heard the groans of people who were targeting him with their 6th round pick.

I hope he pans out, but guys who aren't even in mfl's software yet have a low percentage of having value. Still, if you're in a dynasty league, he's available, and you have the room... go for it. You could do worse.

He was a somewhat popular sleeper (oxymoron?) in dynasty rookie drafts this year. I traded up to grab him with the 80th pick and immediately heard the groans of people who were targeting him with their 6th round pick.

I hope he pans out, but guys who aren't even in mfl's software yet have a low percentage of having value. Still, if you're in a dynasty league, he's available, and you have the room... go for it. You could do worse.

Atomic Forsey gives his endorsement. :D

interesting guy to keep an eye on, but it would seem his ceiling this year is to be the #3 RB.

That's where Terrell Davis stood in the pecking order right up to that special teams' hit he put on during the SF preseason game. After that, Shanahan gave him a few reps with the first team to reward him, and the rest is history.

I'm not say M Bell is TD - I am saying that strange things can happen in DEN when a rookie shows that he can play at the NFL level & then catches Shanahan's eye. I still think Dayne is the guy on the DEN roster to have this year. But I also think people should be aware that this kid exists - and most especially those who are pimping Cobbs right now as the guy to emerge from the lower tiers to take over the #1 RB spot.

That's where Terrell Davis stood in the pecking order right up to that special teams' hit he put on during the SF preseason game. After that, Shanahan gave him a few reps with the first team to reward him, and the rest is history.

I'm not say M Bell is TD - I am saying that strange things can happen in DEN when a rookie shows that he can play at the NFL level & then catches Shanahan's eye. I still think Dayne is the guy on the DEN roster to have this year. But I also think people should be aware that this kid exists - and most especially those who are pimping Cobbs right now as the guy to emerge from the lower tiers to take over the #1 RB spot.

Ehhhh......He only averaged 4.8 ypc in the Pac-10. That's pretty shaky. I'll pass.....

I'm still chuckling over "Cecil" Cobbs. Guess he must be really slipping if they don't even know his name. Good luck Cedric. :D

I thought the same thing. :D

Either way, Mike Bell looks like he has some sort of value in keeper/dynasty leagues, at least. I remember a really early report out of Denver that mentioned Shanahan was interested in Bell way back in February or so. :D If any of the other three RBs on the roster actually stood out to me, then I'd ignore M. Bell...but they don't.