[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I wouldn't draft any niners for fantasy purposes

samurai30

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...SPG8LK89F31.DTL

Even 49ers coach Mike Nolan would agree that the first two days of training camp amounted to a false start.

The 49ers began on Friday, went through two days of practices in helmets, light shoulder pads and shorts, then took Sunday off. Today the team will return in full pads and repeat the same drills and plays it practiced in the first two days.

"We wanted the guys to come out and be more familiar with what we did (in minicamp)," Nolan said. "It's more of an emphasis on the mental part than it was on the physical part. The other thing is that it allows them to get some of the kinks and other things out before we actually stick them in (full) pads."

That includes quarterback Alex Smith, who threw five interceptions and three touchdowns in scrimmages the first two days. When asked if his quarterback's timing was off, Nolan defended Smith.

"Does it (look off)? Is that right? We are going to have to hire you as a coach. I didn't think it was off when he threw two touchdowns, back-to-back," Nolan said. However, Smith at times even struggled to complete passes to undefended receivers.

As far as Smith's picks in team scrimmages, Nolan said that is all part of the process.

"He's got to find out if he can stick it in there or not," Nolan said. "I want them to challenge right now. If they (the quarterbacks) don't stick the ball in there, they don't know their limitations. Also, I would like to think that our defense is getting better, too."

Backup quarterback Trent Dilfer got nearly as many snaps as Smith while working with the second unit. Dilfer appeared rusty on Friday and even admitted as much.

"I think the first part of training camp is for working the kinks out and setting up things you need to work on," Dilfer said.

Roman signs: The 49ers reached agreement with former Packers free safety Mark Roman. He started 32 games in Green Bay the last two seasons after being signed as a free agent from the Bengals.

Roman will join the competition at free safety with Mike Adams, Chad Williams and John Keith.

Green Bay released Roman on Thursday, before the start of its training camp. Miffed with the free-agent signing of Seattle safety Marquand Manuel in March, Roman requested a trade.

To make room, the 49ers released safety Ben Emanuel.

Emanuel played inconsistently, but seemed to come on at the end of last year when he sealed the win against St. Louis with a fourth-quarter interception. In the season finale, Emanuel's 35-yard return off a lateral from Mike Adams in overtime set up the winning field goal against Houston.

Briefly: In an effort by Nolan to help keep his players fresh, the 49ers will practice in pads every other day. ... As players walked off the field after both morning practices, rookie tight end Vernon Davis received the most boisterous fan reaction. ... Team Cinco, a Spanish-language broadcasting partner of KPIX, will make the 49ers' exhibition games available in Spanish in SAP (second audio program).

You probably wouldn't want any Niners as your fantasy team starters, but a few of them definately have value as late rounders, particularly Gore.

As for Smith, I think the Niners made a huge mistake drafting him last year. He wouldn't have even been drafted until the second round this year. Taking him #1 overall seemed to be a knee-jerk reaction. I think he probably goes the way of Tim Couch, without the jerk attitude (because Smith genuinely seems like a nice kid.)

And as far as not drafting any niners because of Alex Smith... See Kyle Orton, then look at Thomas Jones

As for Smith, I think the Niners made a huge mistake drafting him last year. He wouldn't have even been drafted until the second round this year. Taking him #1 overall seemed to be a knee-jerk reaction. I think he probably goes the way of Tim Couch, without the jerk attitude (because Smith genuinely seems like a nice kid.)

Its still to early to call him a bust. He was horrid last year, and pre-season is pre-season. You have to take everything with a grain of salt. For whats its worth, the niners organization said they would have selected Alex Smith over Leinart if he had came out after his junior year. Granted, this is probably them trying to save face. Lets give the kid two more years. If he doesnt have it after that, then yes, he is a bust.

Two words:

Drew Brees

Wasn't Brees a 4 year starter at Purdue, whereas Smith only started 2 years? (not sure if I have these stats right) He just seemed way too inexperienced to handle the NFL.

I think virtually every rookie QB is too inexperienced to handle the NFL. What I find intriguing is how QBs that are (stupidly, IMNSHO) thrown into the fire immediately handle the mental aspect of getting killed by the experienced vets & the speed of the game. Some QBs who have fine physical tools get mentally crushed by the experience, lose all confidence in their abilities, and end up on the scrap heap - becoming a joke om some FF board 5 years afterwards.

Others have enough mental strength to learn from the experience, that they were thrown into a position where they couldn't possibly dominate like they did in college, and learn great things while cutting about a year off the typical +/-5 year learning curve of QBs.

Personally, I do think Smith has the mental toughness to hang in there until he gets some decent support & learns the speed/skill/experience level of veteran NFL players. Unfortunately, the only way to tell is to see how much he progresses, if at all, this year.

Edited by Bronco Billy

In other news, the Pope announced that he is a Catholic, Elton John has admitted he is gay, and a bear was spotted defecating in a wooded area.

:D i think i just peed my pants :D

I like to have STARTING RBs on my FF teams. So if it came to a choice between Frank Gore and another team's backup, I'd more than likely go with Gore. Now with some of these rookies coming in it may differ my opinion some, depending on which rookie and how likely he is to win the starting job.

Wasn't Brees a 4 year starter at Purdue, whereas Smith only started 2 years? (not sure if I have these stats right) He just seemed way too inexperienced to handle the NFL.

Hey, Dan Pastorini quarterbacked his team to a 15-13-1 in Division II but was a high first rounder and turned out OK.

Well, up to the point his drinking got the better of him.

Hey, Dan Pastorini quarterbacked his team to a 15-13-1 in Division II but was a high first rounder and turned out OK.

Well, up to the point his drinking got the better of him.

If my memory serves me, didn't Dan have the original QB "Flax Vest" designed for him to keep him upright? :D

I think virtually every rookie QB is too inexperienced to handle the NFL. What I find intriguing is how QBs that are (stupidly, IMNSHO) thrown into the fire immediately handle the mental aspect of getting killed by the experienced vets & the speed of the game.

Akili Smith was better in his first season than Alex Smith was last year. Not that I'm ready to write him off, but 1 TD/11 INT isn't encouraging.

Akili Smith was better in his first season than Alex Smith was last year. Not that I'm ready to write him off, but 1 TD/11 INT isn't encouraging.

My first thought was to say, "I have seen Akili Smith, I have paid money to watch Akili Smith, and Alex Smith, sir, is no Akili Smith." But I didn't watch a lot of 49er games last year, nor did I pay much attention to their fantasy stats, so I looked 'em up.

Remarkably similar, actually, but you're right, the edge goes to Akili by virtue of his impressive 1-to-3 TD to interception ratio.

Passing | Rushing |

+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+

| Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |

| 1999 cin | 7 | 80 153 52.3 805 5.3 2 6 | 19 114 1 |

+---------------------------------------+-----------------+

| Passing | Rushing |

| Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |

| 2005 sfo | 9 | 84 165 50.9 875 5.3 1 11 | 30 103 0 |

Heck im taking Vernon Davis with the 2nd overall pick in my Keeper League draft (barring catastrophic pre-season injury), hes going to be the next greatest thing to sliced bread . . . . . .sliced bread being Reggie Bush whom im taking #1 overall !

On second thought, after that Alex Smith report, welcome to the team Lawrence Maroney!

yet more gems from MPulera

Briefly: Quarterback Alex Smith looked sharper, particularly in the afternoon practice. He fired a strike to rookie receiver Brandon Williams, who split defenders and scored. Smith also made an outstanding throw to wide receiver Antonio Bryant on a crossing route. ... Wide receiver Derrick Hamilton missed his second straight day of practices with a hamstring injury. ... Rookie tight end Onye Ibekwe, who is trying to play football after playing basketball at Long Beach State, returned to practice in limited fashion after he sustained a rib injury Friday. ... The 49ers will be in full pads every other practice to rest their players -- not every other day, as was reported Sunday.

He looked better yesterday in camp

You probably wouldn't want any Niners as your fantasy team starters, but a few of them definately have value as late rounders, particularly Gore.

Or V Davis. No team is totally absent of players worth considering sooner or later. Not even CHI, amazing as it sounds.

Frank Gore would make a decent 3rd RB with upside. Norv Turner is the O Coordinator this year and Norv has a very good track record of making 1,000 yard RBs each year. Norv will go with one RB and I think Gore will win this out...and I bet Gore ends up catching 40 passes out of the back field.

Depends on what you read.

News: The San Jose Mercury News reports that new 49ers WR Antonio Bryant has dazzled in training camp thus far, reeling in both short yardage passes as well as 50-yard touchdown bombs. Bryant has been aggressive in his receiving and has worked at length with QB Alex Smith, who loves having him on his side. "I've never played with a guy like him," Smith told the paper. "I've always played with receivers that if they're winning by half a step, I've got half-a-step's room to throw the ball in there. With him, you've kind of got some room for error. He's going to make you look good."

Analysis: The 49ers haven't had a 1,000-yard receiver since Terrell Owens in 2003, and Bryant knows it. "This offense should produce at least 2 1/2 1,000-yard receivers, point blank, period," he said. Bryant has some good tools and will be a part of an offense expected to be behind in games this season. However, the big question mark will be the arm of his quarterback -- if Smith stinks, Bryant's production could follow. Owners should consider Bryant a middle-of-the-pack No. 3 Fantasy WR worth taking with a middle- to late-round pick in drafts this summer.

Depends on what you read.

News: The San Jose Mercury News reports that new 49ers WR Antonio Bryant has dazzled in training camp thus far, reeling in both short yardage passes as well as 50-yard touchdown bombs. Bryant has been aggressive in his receiving and has worked at length with QB Alex Smith, who loves having him on his side. "I've never played with a guy like him," Smith told the paper. "I've always played with receivers that if they're winning by half a step, I've got half-a-step's room to throw the ball in there. With him, you've kind of got some room for error. He's going to make you look good."

Analysis: The 49ers haven't had a 1,000-yard receiver since Terrell Owens in 2003, and Bryant knows it. "This offense should produce at least 2 1/2 1,000-yard receivers, point blank, period," he said. Bryant has some good tools and will be a part of an offense expected to be behind in games this season. However, the big question mark will be the arm of his quarterback -- if Smith stinks, Bryant's production could follow. Owners should consider Bryant a middle-of-the-pack No. 3 Fantasy WR worth taking with a middle- to late-round pick in drafts this summer.

seems like this article is promoting bryant more. Sure Alex has thrown TDs, but he's thrown more interceptions...and having trouble getting it to open receivers is a concern. He had problems with that last year too