[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers backfield update

PaulOttCarruth

RAVE: Najeh Davenport has been impressive. He is running with authority, confidence and a burst, and he seems to have a grasp of the scheme. Regardless of what the depth chart says, Davenport would be the No. 1 running back ahead of the injured Ahman Green and the inexperienced Samkon Gado. Green is working diligently to return from injury, and Gado is doing everything he can to earn a roster spot.

The running back position is a long way from being a sure thing, but the prospects look much better with Davenport on the field.

JSOnline link

:D Considering the severity of Green's injury and Gado's trouble picking up the blocking scheme, Davenport makes a nice late-round sleeper for people who are drafting early/now.

Edited by PaulOttCarruth

It's a beat writer. No motive for a smokescreen. It would seem logical that Davenport is looking the sharpest early in camp. Green is coming off a devastating injury. Gado is a pup.

For those spending a mid-round pick on Gado, be aware that he's not a lock to make the roster. If Davenport has a good showing, Gado may get released early so he can sign on with another team.

It's a beat writer. No motive for a smokescreen. It would seem logical that Davenport is looking the sharpest early in camp. Green is coming off a devastating injury. Gado is a pup.

For those spending a mid-round pick on Gado, be aware that he's not a lock to make the roster. If Davenport has a good showing, Gado may get released early so he can sign on with another team.

Gado would have to be complete junk for the Pack to cut him loose. Samkon is already some sort of cult hero around these parts. And he doesn't drop in closets.

But he is highly skilled at dropping a deuce in a closet

lol, what? I must be in the dark about this one. He crapped in a closet?

ETA: I found the story online! What a freakin weirdo!

Edited by thecerwin

I would bet my left nut Gado doesnt get cut. If ANYONE gets cut, it will be Green. The guy is hurt now, isnt even practicing, and has been declining since the 2 years he was good.

Last year, at least Gado played hard, which couldnt be said for any other GB RB last season. If Green is healthy, it is likely his job to lose, and he will. If he is hurt, Gado will likely start IMO, and, as this supposed writer says, "earn his spot".

Last year, at least Gado played hard, which couldnt be said for any other GB RB last season. If Green is healthy, it is likely his job to lose, and he will. If he is hurt, Gado will likely start IMO, and, as this supposed writer says, "earn his spot".

Najeh played hard for the half game he actually played. He got 2 tds at least.

Najeh played hard for the half game he actually played. He got 2 tds at least.

I like Najeh too. I dont think hes going anywhere. It will easily be between the 2 of them I think, but I honestly think itll be Gado just based on what I saw from him last year.

Ive seen Davenport play too, and he plays very well, but he seems to get hurt a lot. At least Gado went like 5 games without getting hurt. :D

I like Najeh too. I dont think hes going anywhere. It will easily be between the 2 of them I think, but I honestly think itll be Gado just based on what I saw from him last year.

Ive seen Davenport play too, and he plays very well, but he seems to get hurt a lot. At least Gado went like 5 games without getting hurt. :D

Although I too drafted Najeh late I think it will be Gado. I don't really see the dropping anyone s they don't have many decnt RB's on the roster.

Even if Najeh can somehow manage to stay healthy, he will still be a part-time back (though a bruiser who should score plenty of TDs if he's number 1). As proof, look at the receiving stats for his career.

Ahman Green is still listed as number 1 on the depth chart, and until something changes with his recovery that's how it is.

I will staying away from the Green Bay backfield this year. A headache waiting to happen with a pretty bad football team. No thank you.

Don't be so sure about that plan. GB's schedule during weeks 14-16: San Francisco, Detroit, and Minnesota (with weeks 15 and 16 on "the frozen tundra of Lambeu field").

Edited by Crazysight

Don't be so sure about that plan. GB's schedule during weeks 14-16: San Francisco, Detroit, and Minnesota (with weeks 15 and 16 on "the frozen tundra of Lambeu field").

Minnesota will have a top 10 defense this season in all aspects. Mark it down. :D

Sounds like Gado is doing just fine.

Much was made during mini-camps and the organized team activities of Gado's struggles to adapt to the new zone-blocking scheme, but he has looked much smoother and more decisive when his number has been called thus far in camp.

"I think Samkon, the way he runs the football, he's a guy you're going to see be more productive when he puts the pads on," McCarthy said. "He's not a slithery ... he's more of a power runner. I've been very pleased with him once we got into the padded work."

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/08/01/3/