[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets TC Report

Rovers

Finally getting to my TC report for the Huddle. I have attended 4 sessions, Friday am, Monday afternoon, and today, both sessions. This TC is nothing remotley like any other under Edwards. Scheduled for 2 hours, they run 2.5 and longer, even in brutal heat. That includes the two a day sessions. Mangini.... well, I hope he doesn't kill them, but the players seem to be actually enjoying the camp.... go figure. On Friday, it was full contact, including the Oklahoma tackling drill, a one on one 30 yards apart pad popping tackling drill. Players that screw up take a lap. You can count on at least 10 players taking a lap each session. While stretching excersizes were short, and frankly joke around time for the players, when the stretched last year, this year they look like the rockettes. The players even have designated spots on the field every practice, in the same place. I will note this oddity later.

Suffice to say, Mangini runs a very tough camp. Brutal almost, but the players seem to like it. This morning, mangini dangled some sort of carrot to the players.... O against D in a 4th and goal from the one situation. The D held. They were whooping it up, hooting and hollering.... something never seen under Edwards in TC. Then, Houston scores on a plunge. (Blaylock tried and was pitiful, trying a spin move even before contact).

The ref signals a TD. If the O scores, this 2 hour 45 minute practice is over, in brutal heat. Mangini throws a red towel! He grabs the ref, they argue.... Mangini waves off the TD, and the D players go nuts! More plays. The D players are celebrating staying on the field. Hey, I know the Jets will be bad this year, but this is a completely different evironment. This is not Edwards' 1 hour, 45 minute easy practice. On to the players.

QB: Friday, the 4 (Pennington, Ramsey, Clemens and Bollinger) split reps. Monday, Ramsey is off doing trick play drills and isn't part of the 3 QB rotation drill (each QB takes a snap at the same time, one throws an out, the middle QB throws a slant, the last throws a fade.) Then they switch spots, and repeat. Same thing in the following 3 seesions I attend. Ramsey is also seperated from the other 3 QB's even during stretching exercizes. Ramsey has gotten, at most, 8 snaps in the last 3 sessions, but it's obvious that his arm is fine.

On Monday (and I left early, the heat was brutal) Ramsey got little action. Today, Bollinger took most of the snaps in the am. This evening, Clemens took most of the snaps, Pennington the rest. Ramsey got 4 reps total. What does it mean? I have no clue. Pennington's deep ball is actually his best pass in terms of accuracy and consistancy. He's is having accuracy problems on the short and intermediate stuff, but he seems to have the arm strength.... he just throws these ducks sometimes.

Clemens.... does NOT look like a rookie... calm, accurate, strong arm..... and just when you think he's the guy, he reminds you he's a rookie. I'm not calling him the future yet, but I really like what I've seen so far. He hasn't faced an NFL blitz yet, but I'm very impressed with this kid. If he doesn't startthis year, i'd be shocked if he isn't the week 1 starter in 2007. He has all the tools, ability and leadership qualities you want to see, and doesn't get rattled when he does screw up.

Bollinger get s a surprising number of reps. He's just solid. not spectacular, but he gets it done. Moves the ball. not many mistakes, and he's getting a hard look. What is up with Ramsey, I have no clue. Based on what I see, the Jets will either carry 4 QB's.... or Ramsey could be the odd man out.

RB's: Blaylock gets most of the first team snaps, but is the least impressive of him, Houston and Washington to me. Houston, who had an undiagnosed thyroid problem discovered at the combine last year was much heavier ans slower in TC lastyear. What people don't realize was he was at one time a projected first round pick. It takes 3 to 6 months to get that properly medicated. Only THEN could Houston get into playing shape. Well, he's downto 218, and he looks to be faster than even Blaylock this year. Blaylock hesitates when hitting a hole, and loses his best weapon when he does so, his speed. Washington and Houston are much better between the tackles.

Here's the bombshell: One of the guys I went to practice with says his source tells him Martin (on the PUP) will retire this year! I don't have any solid reason to doubt him.

WR's: Coles looks like a solid possession reciever, but that's it. Cotchery is having a GREAT camp, and could beat McCariens out for a starting spot. Brad Smith is explosive off the line, and looked great in bump and run drills. he makes some great grabs, but needs to improve his hands. He also waits too long to look for the ball, and then lacks the ability to adjust to the less than perfect pass. Having said that, I think he could be a starter by 2007 or 2008. Tom Dwight is still a very fast guy, but small.... not much FF value, but is the best deep threat on the team until Smith is ready.

I'm beat.... long day, sponsoring a barbque between sessions at my place for several guys. IDP report to come tomorrow.

Great stuff. Interesting about Martin and Cotchery. I watched Cotchery play at NC State and didn't think he had what it takes to do really well in the NFL. Looks like I'm completely wrong on that one. Hope he does do well.

ESPN radio this morning on M and M had an TC report that said Pennington was/ had won the starting job??

That's what I said.... this news was broken by Hutchinson.... Mangini is going to kill someone if it's an accurate report.

I didn't mention the O line... so I will now. Mangold looks good, and appears to be doing OK with calling the blocking assignments, but he can be bullrushed. he needs a bit more strength. Furguson has looked good, but is still susceptable to the inside move.... but he's tough to beat with an outsdie speed rush. The weakest link is Moore at RG. His pass protection just isn't very good in any aspect. Morley has a shot to win that starting job. This O line will need a year to gel.

Word is that Martin doesn't think he belongs on the PUP.... this is fueling some of the speculation he may decide to retire. We shall see. While I would hate for him to go out that way, setimentally, I actually think it would be best for the team id he hung the cleats up.

You would think Jet fans would have a little more love for Herm but hey we're talking about Jet fans. I can't blame Herm for leaving an aging club with uncertainty at the QB position. If Pennington is your starter then Jet fans should be worried. The guy is a brittle weak armed QB.

Isn't it funny how fast things change in the NFL. It was only a couple of years ago when everyone was saying Pennington was the next Joe Montana. Look at him now? Trying to win a starting job. At this point, everyone knows what Chad can do and it's not throwing 20+ yard passes. Jet fans better hope Ramsey and Clemons can show some promise.

Fantasy wise, the only guy I would touch on this team is Coles. Somebody has to catch passes from who ever the QB will be.

You would think Jet fans would have a little more love for Herm but hey we're talking about Jet fans. I can't blame Herm for leaving an aging club with uncertainty at the QB position. If Pennington is your starter then Jet fans should be worried. The guy is a brittle weak armed QB.

Isn't it funny how fast things change in the NFL. It was only a couple of years ago when everyone was saying Pennington was the next Joe Montana. Look at him now? Trying to win a starting job. At this point, everyone knows what Chad can do and it's not throwing 20+ yard passes. Jet fans better hope Ramsey and Clemons can show some promise.

Fantasy wise, the only guy I would touch on this team is Coles. Somebody has to catch passes from who ever the QB will be.

You again, Meh. Why don't you go visit the Chiefshuddle.com and see what the Chiefs fans are saying already. Herm Edwards is a chit coach, Deal with it. For your info, Pennington's deep ball has been his best this preseason.... but you don't want to hear that.... since Herm is gone, he's the best, since Pennington is still in NY, he sucks. Typical Dolphins fan. Same old BS.

Oh, if you want to talk about Clemens, at least spell his name correctly, I mean it's even easier than spelling Culpepper. But, that is typical Phin fan delusionary thinking. What do you know about how strong Pennington's arm is or isn't? Nada. Go back to your chum pail.

Edited by Rovers

You again, Meh. Why don't you go visit the Chiefshuddle.com and see what the Chiefs fans are saying already. Herm Edwards is a chit coach, Deal with it. For your info, Pennington's deep ball has been his best this preseason.... but you don't want to hear that.... since Herm is gone, he's the best, since Pennington is still in NY, he sucks. Typical Dolphins fan. Same old BS.

Oh, if you want to talk about Clemens, at least spell his name correctly, I mean it's even easier than spelling Culpepper. But, that is typical Phin fan delusionary thinking. What do you know about how strong Pennington's arm is or isn't? Nada. Go back to your chum pail.

Ok, we disagree about Herm but please stop with the Pennington's deep ball has been his best this preseason crap. The guy is a bum. Just face it, he's not a franchise QB and will soon be back-up material. The league has caught up to his dump off passes and 5 yard routes. He just doesn't have the arm strength for defenses to respect. I don't have to be a doctor to see that pal.

It's funny how you used delusionary thinking in your response. It sums up the mentality of jet fans perfectly. :D

Ok, we disagree about Herm but please stop with the Pennington's deep ball has been his best this preseason crap. The guy is a bum. Just face it, he's not a franchise QB and will soon be back-up material. The league has caught up to his dump off passes and 5 yard routes. He just doesn't have the arm strength for defenses to respect. I don't have to be a doctor to see that pal.

It's funny how you used delusionary thinking in your response. It sums up the mentality of jet fans perfectly. :D

Have you been at camp? have you seen Pennington throw? No, and no. If you read what I posted, you would know I'm not at all thrilled with Pennington, but his 50 yard throws aren't what worries me.... it's his intermediate and short throws that sometimes look like ducks. Besdides that, he hasn't been hit yet, and that is what took him down last year, not throwing. Get it right for once.... his arm looks OK, and he's never been a great practice player...... the issue is if he can take a hit and get up. You are clueless.... I mean really, you are.

The next thing you will probably say is that Culpepper is fine and dandy.... and he hasn't been hit yet either. Lets see what happens when he does take a hit on the knee. Same situation.... untested injury recovery.

Hook, I did say the same things last year... well almost. Last year his short stuff looked OK, but his long throws looked awful. This year, it's the opposite.... his long throws (yes, they do catch more air than the average NFL QB, but they always did) look good.... he's putting the ball in the right place. He steps into those long throws.... it's the short stuff that he has trouble with this year. Now, unlike this fish person, ask a reasonable question, instead of declaring how Pennington is done without any first hand knowledge (typical) of what he looks like so far, what will his long throws look like when he has a real pass rush that will hit him? Will he be able to step into those throws? Fish boy has no idea.... he's just on Saban cool aid, and hates the Jets.... he has no substance to his posts, just a welll deserved hatred of the Jets, since the Jets have been using the Dope- fins for easy wins for the last 10 years. He obviously is still recovering from Jets ownership of his team for the last decade.

Again, I'm not at all concerned with his abilty to throw however.... the real Q is can he take hits?

Mangini was on local radio vehemently denying that the QB comp is over.... FYI.

Good Info Rov, as I thought it was way to early in a supposed "open competition" for the starting QB gig, to be hearing news such as this latest goof by ESPN.

Have you been at camp? have you seen Pennington throw? No, and no. If you read what I posted, you would know I'm not at all thrilled with Pennington, but his 50 yard throws aren't what worries me.... it's his intermediate and short throws that sometimes look like ducks. Besdides that, he hasn't been hit yet, and that is what took him down last year, not throwing. Get it right for once.... his arm looks OK, and he's never been a great practice player...... the issue is if he can take a hit and get up. You are clueless.... I mean really, you are.

The next thing you will probably say is that Culpepper is fine and dandy.... and he hasn't been hit yet either. Lets see what happens when he does take a hit on the knee. Same situation.... untested injury recovery.

Hook, I did say the same things last year... well almost. Last year his short stuff looked OK, but his long throws looked awful. This year, it's the opposite.... his long throws (yes, they do catch more air than the average NFL QB, but they always did) look good.... he's putting the ball in the right place. He steps into those long throws.... it's the short stuff that he has trouble with this year. Now, unlike this fish person, ask a reasonable question, instead of declaring how Pennington is done without any first hand knowledge (typical) of what he looks like so far, what will his long throws look like when he has a real pass rush that will hit him? Will he be able to step into those throws? Fish boy has no idea.... he's just on Saban cool aid, and hates the Jets.... he has no substance to his posts, just a welll deserved hatred of the Jets, since the Jets have been using the Dope- fins for easy wins for the last 10 years. He obviously is still recovering from Jets ownership of his team for the last decade.

Again, I'm not at all concerned with his abilty to throw however.... the real Q is can he take hits?

I have no substance and no idea? Who crowned you chief almighty? What makes me according to you clueless? The fact that I'm writing things you disagree with or the fact that I'm a Dolphin fan? Your opinion is no better than mine. For all we know you could be some 12 year old kid talking smack. Obviously you think you're the source of every ounce of Jet information because you watch some practices and seem to be a die hard fan. You're no better than a typical beat writer reporting on some details that went down in practice when in reality it doesn't mean squat until they lace em up for the regular season. You can oooh and ahhh about every little thing the Jets do the whole summer all you want, just don't blow a gasket if I chime in and speak my mind.

If you're worried about Chad's accuracy on the short stuff, question whether he can take hits and know that he has a weak arm, what the hell are you getting all pissy about? All those faults don't exactly equal an all-pro season. I said he's done and your worries pretty much sum it up my comments.

Also, No need to reach and bring up C-Pep and Saban. I'm very excited about the Phins potential this year and look forward to kicking some a$$. I'm sure we can fight about the Fish another day.

This is awesome stuff, I wish we could get this level of detail for all the camps. Very interesting about Martin. I've been working with the assumption that he will either retire, be injured, or flatout lose the starting job by midseason and thus I think Houston is worth a (very) late round flier. I notice they have a pretty soft schedule, especially late in the season. :D

I have no substance and no idea? Who crowned you chief almighty? What makes me according to you clueless? The fact that I'm writing things you disagree with or the fact that I'm a Dolphin fan? Your opinion is no better than mine. For all we know you could be some 12 year old kid talking smack. Obviously you think you're the source of every ounce of Jet information because you watch some practices and seem to be a die hard fan. You're no better than a typical beat writer reporting on some details that went down in practice when in reality it doesn't mean squat until they lace em up for the regular season. You can oooh and ahhh about every little thing the Jets do the whole summer all you want, just don't blow a gasket if I chime in and speak my mind.

If you're worried about Chad's accuracy on the short stuff, question whether he can take hits and know that he has a weak arm, what the hell are you getting all pissy about? All those faults don't exactly equal an all-pro season. I said he's done and your worries pretty much sum it up my comments.

Also, No need to reach and bring up C-Pep and Saban. I'm very excited about the Phins potential this year and look forward to kicking some a$$. I'm sure we can fight about the Fish another day.

You shoot yer mouth off at every opportunity when it comes to the Jets.... hey, why don't you give us your Dolphins training camp report? I'm all ears. Your troll posts on the Jets do lack any sort of substance. I did a TC report, an objective one, and all you've done is attempt to turn it into some childish trash talking thread.

But.... it's ok for you to hijack a thread like this, but I dare better not talk about your Dolphins? you wanna start a trash talkin thread and then say I'm outta line to fire back? :D

First off.... I do NOT pretend to be anything more than I am... a rabid Jets fan, amatuer player evaluator that goes to my team's TC's, and have for years. The problem is, I at least have some first hand info and eye witness accounts of how these players look. Not only do you have a competely fabricated opinion about these same players, you just shoot yer mouth off, instead of trying to have a reasonable exchange with ZERO knowledge of the team and how the players are looking. Yeah.....you have an opinion, and you (albiet a lame uninformed one) can continue to make yourself appear to be the uninformed opinionated troll that you are.

Then, you tell ME I come off as a know it all? I have made bad player evals in the past, and have always admitted my mistakes, but my track record here stands.... I told eveyone that would listen that Martin would be very good two years ago. You would not remember that... you haven't been here long enough. for instance, as Hook alluded to, i thought Pennington would continue to improve into the season last year.... wrong.

Thanks for ruining a thread that I thought was worthwhile.... why a TC report has to become a pissing match with an idiot like you..... yes, yer a complete a-hole. I'll say it again, yer a complete a hole. I'll take a week off from the Huddle very happily, having said that. Now, go post something that is worth reading about the Dolphins.... yeah, that is a challenge... are you pure troll, or do you bring something other than that to this forum? I wait with baited freakin breath! :D:D A hole.

You shoot yer mouth off at every opportunity when it comes to the Jets.... hey, why don't you give us your Dolphins training camp report? I'm all ears. Your troll posts on the Jets do lack any sort of substance. I did a TC report, an objective one, and all you've done is attempt to turn it into some childish trash talking thread.

But.... it's ok for you to hijack a thread like this, but I dare better not talk about your Dolphins? you wanna start a trash talkin thread and then say I'm outta line to fire back? :D

First off.... I do NOT pretend to be anything more than I am... a rabid Jets fan, amatuer player evaluator that goes to my team's TC's, and have for years. The problem is, I at least have some first hand info and eye witness accounts of how these players look. Not only do you have a competely fabricated opinion about these same players, you just shoot yer mouth off, instead of trying to have a reasonable exchange with ZERO knowledge of the team and how the players are looking. Yeah.....you have an opinion, and you (albiet a lame uninformed one) can continue to make yourself appear to be the uninformed opinionated troll that you are.

Then, you tell ME I come off as a know it all? I have made bad player evals in the past, and have always admitted my mistakes, but my track record here stands.... I told eveyone that would listen that Martin would be very good two years ago. You would not remember that... you haven't been here long enough. for instance, as Hook alluded to, i thought Pennington would continue to improve into the season last year.... wrong.

Thanks for ruining a thread that I thought was worthwhile.... why a TC report has to become a pissing match with an idiot like you..... yes, yer a complete a-hole. I'll say it again, yer a complete a hole. I'll take a week off from the Huddle very happily, having said that. Now, go post something that is worth reading about the Dolphins.... yeah, that is a challenge... are you pure troll, or do you bring something other than that to this forum? I wait with baited freakin breath! :D:D A hole.

I'm convinced you wear a wonder bra. I really don't need to write a book on the Dolphins training camp because quite frankly that information is all over various sites. And actually, I live in NJ not too far from Giants stadium and am very familiar with the Jets. So don't expect me to fly down to Ft. Lauderdale and give you a inside account of every aspect of the team to prove my worth to a shallow clown like yourself.

Now, I'm an a$$hole and you're taking a week off from the huddle? Oh no, what are we all going to do for Jet information? All you've done is insult me time after time. Take off your diapers and stop getting all bent out of shape just because someone disagrees with you. Grow some nuts....