[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Raiders | Willing to let Porter walk

Avernus

Raiders | Willing to let Porter walk

Tue, 1 Aug 2006 19:47:14 -0700

Steve Corkran, of the Contra Costa Times, reports Oakland Raiders managing general partner Al Davis said WR Jerry Porter has "lost his way" and is free to leave the team. He has four years remaining on a five-year deal, but Davis said that is not a problem as long as Porter pays back the $4 million signing bonus the team gave him for this season and his agent, Joel Segal, is able to find a trading partner willing to part with suitable compensation. The team said no other teams have contacted them about Porter.

this is definately very interesting..

this is definately very interesting..

Really no different than the Lelie situation, other than that Porter has showed up for work in shape ready to play. It's clearly time that these 2 sides split, but it will be difficult for the Raiders to find suitable compensation from another team. Porter hasn't really accomplished anything in the NFL yet, so his contract will scare away a lot of teams who may actually find a way to make this kid productive. ie the Pats!

Where is a link to salary caps now that most of the rookies are signed?

Can KC (or any of a host of other teams that need to get younger at WR) sign him? Surely, he's worth a 4th rounder, isn't he?

Where is a link to salary caps now that most of the rookies are signed?

Can KC (or any of a host of other teams that need to get younger at WR) sign him? Surely, he's worth a 4th rounder, isn't he?

I'm pretty sure the Raiders wont trade him to any AFC West teams...they dont want him, but even though he's a major headcase, he has talent.

Edited by Return Of S&B

Davis says Porter can seek trade

By Steve Corkran

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

NAPA - Disgruntled wide receiver Jerry Porter "has lost his way" and is free to leave, Raiders managing general partner Al Davis said in a lengthy news conference Tuesday afternoon.

That revelation punctuated an hour-long question-and-answer session in which Davis focused his thoughts on former Raiders coach John Madden in anticipation of Madden's induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday.

Davis is slated to give the introductory speech before Madden is inducted in Canton, Ohio. His performance Tuesday showed he's still the voice of everything Raider.

Porter has been unhappy with his standing since a face-to-face meeting with coach Art Shell in February that ended with Shell berating Porter and kicking him out of his office.

Soon thereafter, Porter demanded a trade, though he has four years left on the five-year extension he signed before last season. No problem, the Raiders said.

That is, as long as Porter pays back the $4 million bonus he received for this season, and his agent, Joel Segal, is able to find a team willing to give the Raiders suitable compensation, be it in the form of draft picks or established players, Davis said.

"He has lost his way a little bit," Davis said of Porter, "but he is a good guy."

Porter has refused most interview requests and did not speak Tuesday. He strained a calf the first day of practice July 25 and has seen limited action on the days he participates in full-team drills.

Senior personnel executive Michael Lombardi said Tuesday that no teams have contacted the Raiders about trading for Porter. Segal did not return several phone calls.

The Raiders selected Porter in the second round of the 2000 NFL draft out of West Virginia. He was viewed as the heir apparent to former Raiders receiver Tim Brown. However, he has yet to develop into a No. 1 receiver in terms of production and consistency.

"If someone offers us the (draft) choice we want or a representative player and the $4 million bonus he took from us this year, we'll respond," Davis said. "They got to get it done. (Porter's) agent has known this since the draft (in April). Before the draft, he knew what he had to do. He couldn't get it done."

Porter told ESPN in early July that he wanted the Raiders to hire former St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz as the successor to Norv Turner. In the process, he criticized new offensive coordinator Tom Walsh for his being out of the NFL for 11 years.

Davis said he doesn't view Porter's displeasure with Shell and Walsh as a distraction.

"I had one of the greatest players who has ever played this game, and he was tough to handle. He was the T.O. of his time," Davis said in comparing receiver Art Powell in 1963 to Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens.

Davis was the Raiders coach that season. He said he dealt with Powell in a straightforward manner, just the way Shell is dealing with Porter these days.

"I used to go in the huddle and hear, 'Give me the damn ball,' " Davis said. "(I'd say), 'You will get the ball when you are told to get the ball.' "

Davis also touched upon a number of other topics.

Among them, he said the Raiders had no option but to take over control of ticket sales from the Oakland Football Marketing Association on the heels of an 11-year run that featured more homes games that didn't sell out than ones that did.

"No, I'm not encouraged or satisfied unless we sell out," Davis said, when asked if he is encouraged by ticket sales for this season.

I hope the Eagles go after him instead of Lelie....

+1 I mean as long as they don't give up more then a 4th rounder, this guy has talent and he's ready to go. I guess they're a bit gun shy after the TO fiasco, but they could really use him.

+1 I mean as long as they don't give up more then a 4th rounder, this guy has talent and he's ready to go. I guess they're a bit gun shy after the TO fiasco, but they could really use him.

Philly would be a great fit but they are a cheap organization too. Plus I'm sure the Raiders want more than a 4th rounder for him. Porter is just dying to be the "man", I'm just not sure he's capable.

Philly would be a great fit but they are a cheap organization too.

But there is a salary cap. Are they so cheap they wouldn't sign him even if they had room under the cap?? I think Philly needs to take a hard look at any and all receivers they can possibly get.

But there is a salary cap. Are they so cheap they wouldn't sign him even if they had room under the cap?? I think Philly needs to take a hard look at any and all receivers they can possibly get.

The Eagles seem to always be under the cap.

I hope the Eagles go after him instead of Lelie....

In today's Philadelphia Daily News they interviewed Eagles owner Jeff Lurie who said he regrets bringing in T.O. and they would not be interested in players with character issues. I don't know what is considered "character issues" but I can't see them going after a guy who wants to leave the team right after he signed a contract kind of like what T.O. did to Philly.