[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Muhsin Muhammad

muck

Ok in the huddle mock drafts he has gone:

12 team - 12th round

10 team - 12th round

12 team - 7th round

10 team - 9th round

12 team - 6th round

I just think there is a lot of potential to take Muhammad especially if you get him between the 8th & 12th round. But go ahead and make fun of his body fat and leave him to guys like me in the later rounds. I just think it is a good sign the he re-commited himself in the offseason when he had such a crappy year last year. I feel he will be closer to the 2004 Muhammad than the 2005 Muhammad.

Hell, I'd take him in the 9th to 12th round too. He's a great play as a #4 WR. I'm just making a statement -based in fact - that he very well could be overdoing his offseason conditioning program, possibly to great excess, and it could cause some problems as this year progresses with him.

Hey, you think that's great for him & that he'll have another year like 2004, I say knock yourself out & grab him up in the 5th or 6th round. You won't have to worry about me sneaking him off the board right in front of you there.

This just in:

Some doctors recommend you eat a lot of carrots. But Muhsin reported to camp stating that he categorically hates carrots. Thus, he will not have a good year because he is not eating carrots. Drop him in your rankings accordingly.

So we've graduated from naive to assinine, huh?

Did a little googling myself. BB may be on to something. Either that or he's on something. Maybe both. A few quotes:

Having several of the following

symptoms might indicate that

an athlete’s body fat is too low:

• Chronically restricts calories;

• Loses or doesn’t gain strength and

endurance;

• Gets sick or injured easily;

• Feels tired, even with enough sleep;

• Feels cold often, even when others

don’t;

• Has irregular or absent periods.

Some elite athletes have body fat percentages as low as 5% for men and 8% for women, but this, of course, is the exception and extremely low body fat can be very risky.... All of us require stored body fat for fueling energy- if the body has too little fat, it will begin to break down muscle tissue in order to satisfy energy requirements.

Your body must have some stored fat as it is needed for certain essential physiological functions. From a performance point of view, the ideal body fat percentage for male athletes lies between 6 percent and 15 percent and, for female athletes, between 12 percent and 18 percent.1 Experts believe that, for men, 5 percent and, for women, 10 percent is the absolute minimum.
Edited by PaulOttCarruth

Personally, I believe MM is full of crapola.

He does have a natural physique, and a trainer and a good diet (for, what he admitted was the first time in his life) could enhance it even further.

IIRC, his weight is lower (not like DBoston), his strength is up, his speed is up, his quickness is up ... his body fat is probably down a little. I was more interested in his weight being lower than it was last year (iirc, at 230 lbs) and what that could do to help him stay healthy than I was interested in the effects of having a 2.8% body fat (which is most assuredly not true).

PS - I agree w/ all of BB's comments on the impact of having too little body fat. If he really truly has 2.8% fat, there is a very high percentage chance he'll have an injury this year that will impact him from there forward.

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=13

body fat part 3

Body fat is generally measured and expressed as a percentage. So, if we have a 200 lb. person with 20% body fat, then we know that 40 lbs. of that person is body fat, and the rest is the good stuff: bones, organs, and most importantly muscle. The non-fat-stuff is commonly called lean body mass, or LBM. Our aforementioned person thus has 160 lbs. of LBM.

When calculating fat loss it is best to combine numeric weight loss with the percentage of body fat. This is done because numeric weight (i.e. the weight on the scale) does not give us the full picture of how much of a person is fat and how much is LBM. If we take two people who are 200 lbs., and one of them is our 20% body fat person, and the second is someone with 10% body fat, clearly the second person is in better shape. However, judging this by the scale alone would be misleading. Many athletic people are "overweight" by the standards of scale weight, but still fit and lean, because muscle is much denser than fat. This is why the conventionally used body mass index (BMI) is a poor tool of assessment for athletic people. I have known several people who got in trouble from doctors, military bosses, etc. for being overweight, when the assessor could clearly observe that they were muscular and lean. Frankly, I'll be happy when they junk that stupid BMI thing in favour of body composition tests, and I'm not just saying that because I'm pushing "overweight" myself.

Scale weight is a poor tool for assessing body composition.

To give you an idea of how body fat assessment can be used to establish changes in body composition, let's say that we have a 200 lb. person who begins a fitness program at 30% body fat. That means she has 60 lbs. of body fat and 140 lbs. of LBM. Let's then say that she gets to 160 lbs. and 20% body fat. Now she has 32 lbs. of body fat, and 128 lbs. of LBM. Some LBM has been lost in the process, but it's only 12 lbs. worth, whereas 28 lbs. of body fat has been lost. Let's say in a second example that our 200 lb. person hasn't been training or eating right, and manages to get down to 160 lbs. through a combo of chain smoking, black coffee, and long hours of low intensity, endurance-based cardio. However, because of her poor training and eating habits, she's only made it down to 25% body fat. This means she's lost 20 lbs. of fat and 20 lbs. of muscle. Same finishing weight, big difference in results. The second person will probably look and feel worse, will not be as lean, and most importantly, will not have the all-important LBM that keeps the metabolic fires stoked. The second person will likely put that 40 lbs. right back on in the long run. The first and second people are the same numeric weight, but their body composition will be significantly different.

Having argued in favour of body fat assessment, I should caution you that the tools of body fat assessment vary wildly in their accuracy and ease of use. In general, it's a sad truth that the easier the body fat measurement, the more inaccurate it's likely to be. Body fat calculations are based on population norms, which at the time many of the calculations were developed, meant white male college students (they were easy to get hold of for university lab research, which, by the way, is another reason to critically read scientific studies that use this as a normative population). Athletes, people of nonwhite backgrounds, older folks, basically anyone outside of that "norm" can get an inaccurate reading. There are apocryphal stories, for example, of black athletes getting negative body fat percentage readings (this means, perhaps, that they actually give body fat to the people around them?). I've heard people claim to be 4% body fat because their tape measurement said so, and I usually tell them that if they're 4%, then:

a) they should see horizontal striations (ridges) on the muscles in their ass;

:D they should be covered in visible veins (not just a few);

c) they should be able to see the lymph nodes in their groin;

d) unless they're a competing bodybuilder about to go on stage, their family is probably booking their funeral.

Here's a rundown of ways to measure body fat, from easiest and most inaccurate to hardest and most precise.

Tape measurements of body circumference (e.g. waist, hips) combined with height/weight measurements are unbelievably inaccurate. Just for fun, I tested a few of the online tape measurement calculators, and got results ranging from 12% to 28% body fat. Tape measurements are handy for knowing overall size losses or gains, but are largely useless for knowing body fat.

Bioelectrical impedance devices, such as the Tanita body fat scale, determine body fat by sending little electrical pulses through the body. Not bad for average people, usually quite inaccurate for athletic people. Measurements will also vary significantly based on hydration levels. Still a margin of error in the range of +/- 5%, and there's a big difference between 10% and 15%.

Skinfold calipers take a pinch of skin at various sites on the body. This is more accurate if it's done by someone experienced, but there is still a margin of error of around 2-3%. If you want to assess your own body fat, this is probably the best way to do it as long as you remember that you need practice, and the margin of error remains significant.

Hydrostatic, or underwater weighing, requires the person to be submerged in a tank of water and to expel all the oxygen from their lungs as they are measured. This is quite accurate but hard to obtain unless you live near a friendly university research lab. DEXA, or dual energy x-ray absorptiometry, is likewise accurate but also involves a complex procedure with special equipment.

Autopsy is the most accurate and effective means of body fat assessment. And, guess what, it's a little inconvenient for most of us.

I actually didn't mention the one method that's both easy and potentially very accurate: visual inspection by a trained eye. People who've been in the bodybuilding biz long enough, and who are sufficiently observant, can tell someone's body fat just by looking at them. I can take a pretty decent guess, but no doubt there are bodybuilding veterans who have the incisive visual accuracy of autopsy. You don't need to be a bodybuilding pro to do this yourself, though. Sometimes the best tool for assessing your body fat is a full length mirror and an overhead light. Look at yourself from all angles. Observe any visible muscle definition: the "v" of the deltoids at the top of the arm, the lumps of the ab muscles, the ridge under the calf. Observe also where you deposit your fat: breasts, belly, upper arms, waist, hips, thighs, lower back. If you like, take pictures every month or few months, and use them for a visual comparison of body fat gains or losses. Familiarizing yourself with your individual body fat patterns will help you see changes in your body composition. This exercise is meant to be simple observation only, not judgement.

body fat norms

Normal and ideal ranges for body fat vary with gender. On average, women have a higher body fat than men. At one extreme, male bodybuilders before a contest can drop their body fat to around 4-5%, while women can drop to around 6-7%, commonly with the assistance of drugs. Female fitness competitors are usually in the range of 10-14%, depending on the aesthetic of whatever it is they're posing for (e.g. swimsuit, onstage, fitness shoots, etc.). These very low body fat percentages are generally maintained for only a short period, normally before a photo shoot or contest. Very low body fat percentages are extremely difficult to maintain for most people, since the body has metabolic and hormonal mechanisms in place to prevent what it perceives as a shortage of available resources.

For general health and fitness, for men, somewhere between 10-15% is a good range to shoot for, though the North American average is undoubtedly higher. Men who want to see a six-pack of abs usually have to be under 10-11% to do so, since that's normally where they store fat. For women, 20-25% is the approximate ideal for general health. Athletic women may keep their body fat as low as the mid-teens with no ill effects, since energy balance (calories in versus calories out) is the prime determinant of health in this case. While low body fat is correlated with problems common to elite female athletes, such as disordered or absent menstruation and loss of bone density, it is not a particular body fat percentage per se which is responsible. Rather, since low body fat is often correlated with a negative energy balance (in other words, taking in fewer calories than one burns), it can appear as if body fat levels alone are responsible. A lean woman who is careful to adequately meet her nutritional and caloric needs, and not overtrain, should see no detrimental effects from lower than average body fat.

For men, anything over 20% approaches obese territory, while for women this percentage is closer to 30% and over. Folks who have been overfat for a long time, particularly if they were overfat as children, will find it more difficult to drop to the lower end of the body fat range. One piece of good news, however, at least for pear shaped people, is that gynoid fat deposition is associated with fewer adverse health effects than android fat deposition. So, women with a gynoid fat pattern can carry a bit more fat with fewer consequences than the android folks (sorry, but that's biology for ya).

I usually hover in the range of 15-18%, depending on the way I'm training, and my training goals. Once I start getting to around 15%, people start to tell me that my face is looking fuglier than normal.[grin] For gaining strength and mass, it appears that a slightly higher body fat percentage is ideal. As always, an ideal body fat percentage for you will depend on many individual things: gender, age, overall health and medical conditions (including supplementation with hormones), starting body fat levels, and training goals.

http://www.ironmagazine.com/modules.php?na...article&sid=197

Written by: Tom_Venuto

Bodybuilders have discovered a methodology for losing fat. This practice which is known as peaking is not done year round for a reason. Find out what they do during the year and why. The secret to getting super lean - I'm talking about being ripped, not just "average body fat" - is all about mastering the art of "peaking."

Most people do not have a clue about what it takes to reach the type of low body fat levels that reveal ripped six-pack abs, muscle striations, vascularity and extreme muscular definition, so they go about it completely the wrong way.

Here's a case in point: One of my newsletter subscribers recently sent me a question.

The Question:

"Tom, on your www.burnthefat.com web site, you wrote:

'Who better to model than bodybuilders and fitness competitors? No athletes in the world get as lean as quickly as bodybuilders and fitness competitors.

'The transformations they undergo in 12 weeks prior to competition would boggle your mind! Only ultra-endurance athletes come close in terms of low body fat levels, but endurance athletes like tri-athletes and marathoners often get lean at the expense of chewing up all their muscle.

'Some of them are nothing but skin and bone.'

There seems to be a contradiction unless I'm missing something.

Why do bodybuilders and fitness competitors have to go through a 12 week 'transformation' prior to every event instead of staying 'lean and mean' all the time? If they practice the secrets exposed in your book, they should be staying in shape all the time instead of having to work at losing fat prior to every competitive event, correct?"

The Explanation

There is a logical explanation for why bodybuilders and other physique athletes (fitness and figure competitors), don't remain completely ripped all year round, and it's the very reason they are able to get so ripped on the day of a contest.

"Peak" Condition:

You can't hold a peak forever or it's not a "peak", right? What is the definition of a peak? It's a high point surrounded by two lower points isn't it?

Therefore, any shape you can stay in all year round is not your "peak" condition.

The intelligent approach to nutrition and training (which almost all bodybuilders and fitness/figure competitors use), is to train and diet in a seasonal or cyclical fashion and build up to a peak, then ease off to a maintenance or growth phase.

I am not talking about bulking up and getting fat and out of shape every year, then dieting it all off every year. What I'm talking about is going from good shape to great (peak) shape, then easing back off to good shape, but never getting "out of shape." Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

Here's An Example:

I have no illusions whatsoever of walking around 365 days a year at 4% body fat like I appear in the photo on my web site. Off-season, when I'm not competing, my body fat is usually between 8 - 10%. Mind you, that's very lean and still single digit body fat.

I don't stray too far from competition shape, but I don't maintain contest shape all the time. It takes me 12-14 weeks or so to gradually drop from 9.5% to 3.5%-4.0% body fat to "peak" for competition with no loss of lean body mass...using the same techniques I reveal in my e-book.

It would be almost impossible to maintain 4% body fat, and even if I could, why would I want to? For the few weeks prior to competition I'm so depleted, ripped, and even "drawn" in the face, that complete strangers walk up and offer to feed me.

Okay, so I'm just kidding about that, but let's just say being "being ripped to shreds" isn't a desirable condition to maintain because it takes such a monumental effort to stay there.

It's probably not even healthy to try forcing yourself to hold extreme low body fat. Your body will fight you unless you're a natural "ectomorph" (skinny, fast metabolism) body type.

Instead of attempting to hold the peak, I cycle back into a less demanding off-season program and avoid creeping beyond 9.9% body fat. Some years I've stayed leaner - like 6-7%, (which takes effort), especially when I knew I would be photographed, but I don't let my body fat go over 10%.

Periodization In Sports:

This practice isn't just restricted to bodybuilders. Athletes in all sports use periodization to build themselves up to their best shape for competition. Is a pro football player in the same condition in March-April as he is in August-September? Not a chance. Many show up fat and out of shape (relatively speaking) for training camp, others just need fine tuning, but none are in peak form... that's why they have training camp!

Avoid Chronic Dieting

There's another reason you wouldn't want to maintain a "ripped to shreds" physique all year round - you'd have to be dieting (calorie restricted) all the time.

And this is one of the reasons that 95% of people can't lose weight and keep it off - they haven't mastered the art of training and dieting in seasons or cycles. They are chronic dieters... always on some type of diet. Know anyone like that?

You can't stay on restricted low calories indefinitely. Sooner or later your metabolism slows down and you plateau. But if you diet for fat loss and push incredibly hard for 3 months, then ease off for a while and eat a little more (healthy food, not "pigging out"), your metabolic rate doesn't slow down.

In a few weeks or months, you can return to another fat loss phase and reach an even lower body fat level, until you finally reach the point that's your happy maintenance level for life - a level that is healthy and realistic - as well as visually appealing.

Take Control Of Body Composition:

Bodybuilders have discovered a methodology for losing fat that's so effective, it puts them in complete control of their body composition. They've mastered this area of their lives and will never have to worry about it again.

If they ever "slip" and fall off the wagon like all humans do at times... no problem! They know how to get back into shape fast.

They have the tools and knowledge to hold a low body fat all year round (such as 9% for men, or maybe 14-16% for women), and then at a whim, to reach a temporary "peak" of extremely low body fat for the purpose of competition.

Maybe most important of all, they have the power and control to slowly ease back from peak shape into maintenance, and not balloon up and yo-yo like most conventional dieters!

What if you had the power to stay lean all year round, and then get really lean when summer rolled around, or when you took your vacation to the Caribbean, or when your wedding date was coming up?

Conclusion:

So even if you have no competitive aspirations whatsoever, don't you agree that there's something of value everyone could learn from physique athletes? This is powerful, life changing stuff.

Don't model yourself after the huge crowd of losers who follow weight loss gimmicks and fad diets like automatons! Instead, learn from the leanest athletes on Earth - fitness competitors and natural bodybuilders.

The way these physique athletes get as ripped as they want to be, exactly when they want to, is by manipulating their diets in a cyclical fashion between pre-contest "cutting" programs and off season "maintenance" or "muscle growth" programs.

If you’re interested in the healthy, sensible way to take off the fat, while keeping all your muscle and actually increasing your metabolism in the process, then my Burn the Fat, Feed The Muscle program can teach you how. No gimmicks or false promises. Just the truth - you have to work at it and you have to be patient. For more information, www.burnthefat.com

Edited by keggerz