[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears Report

YoungBob

I know there have been a lot of questions regarding the status of Cedric Benson and Thomas Jones during the last few days, so I though I'd put together a brief Bears Report for the day. Benson was back at practice yesterday and appeard at full speed following a day of rest for a sore knee. Thomas Jones is still resting his sore hammy and no time table has been mentioned for his return. While Brian Griese is getting a decent amount of reps it sounds like he is clearly the QB2 in Chicago. Rex Grossman is taking almost all of the snaps with the first unit and, from reports, is doing very well. This, of course, is the opinion of the very lightweight Chicago media who usually act as nothing more than a mouth piece for the Bears coaching staff. Mushin Muhammad is said to be working well with Grossman and Bernard Berrian is currently holding off Marc Bradley at WR2. Bradley was rested again yesterday...he is coming off knee surgery in 2005 and the Bears are taking it easy on him for now. Today's Chicago Tribune mentioned the potential emergence of Rasheed Davis as a slot WR who is getting increased playing time in camp. Davis, a converted DB, once starred in the Arena League as a WR and is said to be turning heads all over camp with his play. For another team I'd mention TE play...but as this is the Bears there is no real need to waste your time reporting on a position in which they place no value.

I know there have been a lot of questions regarding the status of Cedric Benson and Thomas Jones during the last few days, so I though I'd put together a brief Bears Report for the day. Benson was back at practice yesterday and appeard at full speed following a day of rest for a sore knee. Thomas Jones is still resting his sore hammy and no time table has been mentioned for his return. While Brian Griese is getting a decent amount of reps it sounds like he is clearly the QB2 in Chicago. Rex Grossman is taking almost all of the snaps with the first unit and, from reports, is doing very well. This, of course, is the opinion of the very lightweight Chicago media who usually act as nothing more than a mouth piece for the Bears coaching staff. Mushin Muhammad is said to be working well with Grossman and Bernard Berrian is currently holding off Marc Bradley at WR2. Bradley was rested again yesterday...he is coming off knee surgery in 2005 and the Bears are taking it easy on him for now. Today's Chicago Tribune mentioned the potential emergence of Rasheed Davis as a slot WR who is getting increased playing time in camp. Davis, a converted DB, once starred in the Arena League as a WR and is said to be turning heads all over camp with his play. For another team I'd mention TE play...but as this is the Bears there is no real need to waste your time reporting on a position in which they place no value.

No surprises here really, although I thought they said they were going to try to use the tight end more this year to help Grossman more. Whatever, you are right: these are the Bears.

And I love how so many of you were convinced that Griese was going to be the starting quarterback for this team opening day against the Packers. :D Nice call. This is Grossman's team and Griese is still learning that playbook, however easy it might be.

Well, this is a decent start to the Bears talk. :D

Here's what I'm hearing and seeing: First of all, the team is really keeping tight lips on what they're doing with Thomas Jones. The only real talk I've heard is that they understand they're going to need both TJ and Benson all year in order to win. I believe they are going to rest him most of the pre-season and give Benson every chance to prove he's a three down player.

As far as the #2 WR position goes, this is Bernard Berrian's job to lose. He has been the most impressive WR in camp to this point. All anyone has to remember was the Carolina playoff game last year. He basically only played a half and was the only player that stood out in terms of heart...but got knocked around so much, he couldn't continue. I really like this kid.

For any of you wondering, Justin Gage is done. You can put a fork in him.

I heard a radio interview with Griese the other day, and it was good to hear what a down to earth guy he sounded like. He flat out said he wasn't there to help Rex or tell him what he should be doing, but he exuded a confidence about him....pretty much knowing he's going to get his shot to play, and play often this year. I still remember that Monday Night game against Oakland several years back when he seperated his shoulder but still played--one tough guy.

All 22 starters are back from this team, plus they've added so much depth on the defensive side, it's not even funny. They basically added 4 defensive backs that can all have an impact, which basically says goodbye to Todd Johnson and Cameron Worrell....they've passed up their usefulness on this team.

The newspapers are ragging about the TE position, and ran a little blurb about Lovie Smith saying year after year "we need to involve the TE more". It's the same old story with this team, and with two 24 catch seasons in a row, you can safely say that barring injury, Clark will have a better year...but that's not saying much.

Until he breaks down, or gets beat out, the glue of this team on defense is Mike Brown. They were talking about some new training he's done that's included pilates, and Urlacher was talking about how he forced himself to give up golf, because it was nagging on his back and hamstring.

Put them in NFC East, and they're no better than 8-8 this year.

They didn't do a darn thing to upgrade the offense, with the exception of Griese, and how much is that going to help?

Mush has to step it up, and you can't count on that. Berrian and Bradley play the same position, so unless both go down, you've got to figure that they will be a little better there.

The OL is capable of being very good, but it's not very deep.

I love my Bears, but they just didn't get any better, and in the NFL, you either get better, or you get worse--you do not stay the same.

Well, this is a decent start to the Bears talk. :D

Here's what I'm hearing and seeing: First of all, the team is really keeping tight lips on what they're doing with Thomas Jones. The only real talk I've heard is that they understand they're going to need both TJ and Benson all year in order to win. I believe they are going to rest him most of the pre-season and give Benson every chance to prove he's a three down player.

As far as the #2 WR position goes, this is Bernard Berrian's job to lose. He has been the most impressive WR in camp to this point. All anyone has to remember was the Carolina playoff game last year. He basically only played a half and was the only player that stood out in terms of heart...but got knocked around so much, he couldn't continue. I really like this kid.

For any of you wondering, Justin Gage is done. You can put a fork in him.

I heard a radio interview with Griese the other day, and it was good to hear what a down to earth guy he sounded like. He flat out said he wasn't there to help Rex or tell him what he should be doing, but he exuded a confidence about him....pretty much knowing he's going to get his shot to play, and play often this year. I still remember that Monday Night game against Oakland several years back when he seperated his shoulder but still played--one tough guy.

All 22 starters are back from this team, plus they've added so much depth on the defensive side, it's not even funny. They basically added 4 defensive backs that can all have an impact, which basically says goodbye to Todd Johnson and Cameron Worrell....they've passed up their usefulness on this team.

The newspapers are ragging about the TE position, and ran a little blurb about Lovie Smith saying year after year "we need to involve the TE more". It's the same old story with this team, and with two 24 catch seasons in a row, you can safely say that barring injury, Clark will have a better year...but that's not saying much.

Until he breaks down, or gets beat out, the glue of this team on defense is Mike Brown. They were talking about some new training he's done that's included pilates, and Urlacher was talking about how he forced himself to give up golf, because it was nagging on his back and hamstring.

Put them in NFC East, and they're no better than 8-8 this year.

They didn't do a darn thing to upgrade the offense, with the exception of Griese, and how much is that going to help?

Mush has to step it up, and you can't count on that. Berrian and Bradley play the same position, so unless both go down, you've got to figure that they will be a little better there.

The OL is capable of being very good, but it's not very deep.

I love my Bears, but they just didn't get any better, and in the NFL, you either get better, or you get worse--you do not stay the same.

Many good points man and I usually see the glass half empty as well. But in this case, I am more than happy with this Bears team. Let's talk:

I would be absolutely shocked if this team trades Thomas Jones. Unless a blockbuster comes up, this team will stand pat. Lovie has always talked about wanting and needing two backs to succeed and win. I see all these Lelie and Porter rumors/wantings by fans alike but that ain't happening. Jerry Angelo WILL NOT give up on the wide outs he drafted until they clearly show they got nothing. Berrian, Bradley, Currie; all these guys haven't really shown anything great nor horrible. I really like Berrian (he did break Tomlinson's all-time all purpose yards WAC record in college) and I think he and Grossman have already developed some nice chemistry. I loved Bradley, even coming out of college, but the guy is still raw. He isn't fully healthy yet so I'll be happy with him taking it easy for the early part of this season.

The same idea goes with Benson: Angelo needs to justify his draft slot and the money given to him. I still think Jones should be the starter but that is a different argument. The team feels comfortable with Adrian Peterson as well. I don't know what exactly to feel with Little Whoopi Goldberg, but he should be fine running behind that beast of an offensive line.

Now quarterbacks: I am one of the few Bears fans who is excited about Rex Grossman. Let us not forget that this is the first year since the year he came 2nd in the Heisman voting that he is in the same offensive system. He is looking very fluid in practices right now and isn't thinking much; he is feeling it all. If he stays healthy, he will put up some solid numbers. This is gonna be a "Run n' Gun" offense like the old Gators. Turner has said many a times that this offense revolves around pounding the ball early and often. If the running game is what it was last year, which no one thinks it shouldn't be, then that will open up plenty of more opportunities for Grossman to succeed. Obviously they didn't ADD anyone but they didn't really need to. Grossman is healthy and knows the offense better than anyone else out there. The team loves him and his grit. The offensive will have two stud running backs and a couple of young, speedy receivers to compliment the aging Mushin. I am confident that this offense can score the points they need to. I will add more to this later but I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Edited by Goopster24

Yes.

Grossman looked great in the practices I saw him in last year. He has the ability, and more importantly--the feet, the arm strength, and vision to be a good QB.

If he wouldn't look good in training camp, I'd be worried. But the fact of the matter is this is a guy that's thrown 4 TD's in 8 games he's played...and 6 INT's. I'm all for him being their guy....I'm all for him being capable. However, this is beginning to remind me of what we've seen in the past----second verse, same as the first.

If he goes down again, it's time to cut bait.

While I am cautiously optimistic about Berrian at WR2, I really wish the Bears would have been aggressive during the off-season and grabbed a legit guy for that spot. If they really want to step up in the NFC I don't think relying on a guy like Berrian in that role is a good idea. Also, I believe their draft was poor. They traded out of the first round and I believe reached on their picks of Manning and Hester. I really would have liked to see them pick up a TE or a linebacker. Briggs could be gone after this season and it would have been nice to see them grab a guy like DeMeco Ryans from Alabama to prepare him for that spot. If I hear that they're returning 22 starters from last year's team one more time I believe I will be ill. :D IMO, they fumbled their chance to be proactive and grab the horns of the NFC.

I like Bradley too from what little glimpse that we saw of him last year. I don't remember if I heard it on the the Score or AM1000 but they played a clip of an interview with him about his knee and it sounds like he may be rushing back to the field too early because of the foot hold that Berrian is gaining on the #2 spot. That worries me. I think he has something to offer and I hate to see him have a cronic problem this year because he came back too early.

I'm very optimistic about the Bears this year. With all their starters on both sides coming back, I don't think they didn't get better. They all have played together and Manning will most likely beat out Harris for safety. Also, they are raving about Rex, and I think he completely changes everything about the offense. With him, the Bears can throw over the middle and open up the field. This will substantially help out the run game because defenses can't just sit 8 in the box. Also, many are dogging Lovie for picking Benson, but reports are hes playing great, and warrants his starting job. With an improved offense and a defense hitting their prime, they should be a major contender in the NFC

I like Bradley too from what little glimpse that we saw of him last year. I don't remember if I heard it on the the Score or AM1000 but they played a clip of an interview with him about his knee and it sounds like he may be rushing back to the field too early because of the foot hold that Berrian is gaining on the #2 spot. That worries me. I think he has something to offer and I hate to see him have a cronic problem this year because he came back too early.

On 670 Larry Holmes who is in Olivet Nazareth academy, where the bears practice. and he said that Bradley does have a nice jump when he runs forward, but he seems to struggle when he tries to cut. this kind of reminds me of when Marcus Robinson came back, it took him 2 years to be 100%. Larry said if he had to put a percentage on how ready he is he said around 80%.

and gage was a guy who a fair number of fans/experts though would be cut, now looks like he will be on the team for sure.

Also I have been hearing a lot of hype about using the TE to catch balls not just block. And I'm not buying into it, I heard this before from the bears and I will wait until I see it during the regular games. If they were serious about this there were a few TE they would have been able to draft a few months ago.