[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tony Dungy

Caveman_Nick

Can anyone comment on Dungy's past tendencies when handling rookies? I have not followed his style closely, but think some insight to how he plays the Addai vs Rhodes issue can be gained by looking at what he has done in the past.

Addai's playing time will be completely based on how well he picks up the blocking schemes...they aren't going to put someone in the backfield that might get Peyton Manning killed...

Lately, the Colts have eased rookies into their first NFL season. Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James were immediate starters in their rookie year. Since then though, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders, and Marlin Jackson were all coming off the bench to start their careers.

Lately, the Colts have eased rookies into their first NFL season. Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James were immediate starters in their rookie year. Since then though, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders, and Marlin Jackson were all coming off the bench to start their careers.

And of course Dungy wan't around for the rookie seasons of Manning and James.

Addai's playing time will be completely based on how well he picks up the blocking schemes...they aren't going to put someone in the backfield that might get Peyton Manning killed...

I think this has much more to do with Addai's fate this year than the fact that he's a rookie. If he learns his role, he plays, period. I like him as the first rookie RB off the board this year.

I think this has much more to do with Addai's fate this year than the fact that he's a rookie. If he learns his role, he plays, period. I like him as the first rookie RB off the board this year.

Really? I'm having a hard time figuring out which rookie to grab 1st. Do you think Addai will get more touches than Bush, Maroney and Williams? I get the feeling like Bush will get more touches to start the season.

Edited by NAUgrad

Also, we shouldn't forget that Manning was the #1 pick and James was the #4 pick. Perhaps they were both worthy of starting immediately.

For what it is worth, Manning (1998) and James (1999) were both drafted when Jim Mora was the coach. By the time Dungy got there (2002) both were well established.

Dungy was the coach in Tampa Bay when Warrick Dunn was a rookie (1997) and he had 224 carries for 978 yards and 4 TDs, with 39 catches for 462 yards and 3 TD's that first season.

Dunn was the first RB taken that year (1.12). Dunn was so good that they retired his number at FSU (#28) though they do actually re-use numbers. He set the all-time rushing record there with 3959 career yards. Dunn was the best back in the 1997 draft.

For what it is worth, Manning (1998) and James (1999) were both drafted when Jim Mora was the coach. By the time Dungy got there (2002) both were well established.

Dungy was the coach in Tampa Bay when Warrick Dunn was a rookie (1997) and he had 224 carries for 978 yards and 4 TDs, with 39 catches for 462 yards and 3 TD's that first season.

Dunn was the first RB taken that year (1.12). Dunn was so good that they retired his number at FSU (#28) though they do actually re-use numbers. He set the all-time rushing record there with 3959 career yards. Dunn was the best back in the 1997 draft.

This is good info. So while the Colts have tended to ease rookies in for the last fwe years, Dungy went with Dunn as a rookie. Then again that was also quite some time ago, and his perspective may have changed.

Murky. definitely murky.