[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints Camp notes 8-3 (afternoon)

rajncajn

Originally posted by MSSaintfan

Ok guys....and girls!

Full gear this afternoon with a nice breeze that really kept things cooler than the last few days. Practice was down at the lower field, which is just beyond the upper one for those of you may make it by. Bring your own chair for this field, or sit on the hillside.

On the cycle/held out:

Cie Grant

Mayberry

Stallworth

Beerman

Berger

Stinchcomb was back on the field and in full gear. He did not look to be at 100%, and I often wondered whether the breakdowns on the right side of the line were his fault or just superior work on the part of the D. I can tell you what I think........ I think we still need OLine help! Grant and Whitehead and H. Thomas were all over the right of the offense.

After some real slow walkthrough work, there was a breakout into offensive and defensive sessions, with the offense working on sleds and running through a gauntlet. Defense worked on technique and agilities/movement.

When the team started working in the first 11 on 11, which was not full speed, more like half, Campbell got some reps at TE along with Conwell, Zach and Lawrie. All had good receptions early, but that would change later...

The wide receivers broke out and worked on a four cone break down, turn and catch drill. Everybody caught all of their catchable balls except for Devery, who dropped half of his. I really am not trying to be overly critical, especially since he is a homeboy, but he continues to struggle at times. To be fair, he did do better later in the practice.

During the second 11 on 11, it became very obvious that nobody, and I mean nobody can keep up with Reggie coming out of the backfield if the blocking is sealed properly. I see a lot of yards coming his way. Today, at least, up the middle was a different story. Deuce was really the only one to have any success there. I contribute some of that to Hollis Thomas, and some to the lack of strength on the right side of the OLine.

On one sweep to the right, Stecker carried and was hammered 5 yards deep by Fincher and McKenzie coming up in run support.

During these same drills, Drew threw the first interception I have seen in full 11 on 11 play. He was picked by McKenzie when he tried to squeeze one into Joe Horn. McKenzie was all over that one. Horn was impressive on most plays, though. He really caught and turned to get upfield really well today.

Deuce was moving and cutting well. I don't know who the national reporter was who said Deuce was noticeably limping, but I watched him for four years in Mississippi, as well as since he has been with the Saints, and it just looks like his same old gait to me. He certainly doesn't run like he is in much pain. After every carry, once he was "stopped", (not full contact on this one), he would still run the ball downfield, most of the time taking it at least another 20-30 yards. Even after a couple of times when he was brought completely down, he got back up and ran it out. He is clearly showing the old form and leadership of old.

Defensively, Tommy Davis had a good set of 11 on 11's. He was in the backfield on several plays, working against the right side of the offensive line. I couldn't tell from where I was if it was him being so good, or Nesbit/Stinch stinking up the place. Another thing to think about was the fact that Mayberry was not there.

Davis not only blew up a Shuffle pass (Utah style), he also got penetration on a sweep right and stopped it for a loss of about five yards at one point. I was glad to see one of the younger guys step up, even with a bit of reservation based on who was out on the O side.

One thing I thought was interesting was one of the defensive formations. On at least two or three different occasions, Gibbs brought Fujita And Foreman up on the line, and brought up the strong safety to help in run support, with a 3 deep defensive backfield. It was effective to say the least. Gave it a 6-2-3 look, at times, but he also would drop one or the other linebacker back for a 5-3-3 as well.

They broke into special teams work and Coach Bonamago had Bush, AMac, L. Moore, J.Jones, and Mike Hass work at punt returner. Bush did a great job, as did J. Jones. the others weren't too far behind, but they did not impress as much as Bush and Jones.

The other day I posted that Weatherford was not a punter that I thought could push Berger. I don't know if he didn't feel as much pressure with Berger not on the field or what, but today he looked great in getting high punts inside the red zone. He had several go out in the coffin corner that were very good.

After the punt work. The backs and receivers went against the LB's and DB's in a 7 on 7 drill. Fast paced and very exciting. The players were really getting into it. Bryan Scott broke up another pair of passes in this drill, and looks like a promising addition!

Foreman also had a great drill here, breaking up a pass as well, that was very well thrown by Martin, but Foreman just had awesome coverage on the play.

Martin continued to show that he is a QB. IMHO, he will easily supplant Bouman. I stated this a.m. that I thought his days are numbered. I really think that is going to be the case. He held on the ball too long several times again this afternoon, and continues to make poor decisions and throws. He does make good ones as well, he just isn't as consistent. I think it will be Brees, Martin, then AMac, with Fife possibly making the practice squad. Fife is big and strong. He just isn't ready yet. I think another year of seasoning is in order.

They went back into another 11 on 11 with a little more giddyup, this time. Faine is a beast! We are going to be just fine from Center to the LT. It is the right side I am worried about.

Brees started really putting a little zip into the ball once the more up tempo drill started. On at least one occasion, the right side of the pocket collapsed on him, but other than that he had fairly decent protection. Of course the D was pulling up and not hitting him. He had some nice throws to Conwell, Hilton, and Lawrie at TE, and Colston, Jones, Hass, and both Horns at WR. There were a few more dropped passes by everyone during this drill, and Hass had his first real taste of defeat as he dropped a couple of catchable balls. Of course, he was very well defended on both of them and hit fairly hard both times, but a pro has to make those catches. Donte stepped up and had some catches here as well, but he utilized his short game more, rather than going deep. When he did go deep, he was covered well.

In red zone 11 on 11, Brees hit Horn immediately for a TD on the first play. They spent about 20 minutes talking this a.m while the others players were working special teams. They are really developing a bond. Deuce ran hard all the way to the end of the practice, and really looks like a man on a mission to me. I really think I am being objective on this. Besides, I am MSSaintfan (Mississippi State Saintfan), so I hated him until he became a Saint, so it isn't homerism!:hihi: While in the redzone 11 on 11, Charles Grant blocked a pass by jumping about as high as I think he can possibly jump. It was a thing of beauty, but showed what I think is one of DB's few weaknesses, and that is his height. Despite that one play, Drew looked sharp in the RZ. On one misdirection play, the OLine sealed off there blocks in what appeared to be a run to the left side. All of a sudden, Reggie burst out on the right, and there was no chance for anyone to catch him. The same thing happened to the other side just a little later. He is unreal. On both plays, the crowd (though limited in number for this session by the staff) responded accordingly.

Stock up: Weatherford, (still won't make the team, IMHO)

J. Jones, Colston

Stock down: Hass, but he is still a blue chip buy!

Right side of the OLine.

I talked to one of the coaches after practice to get the info on Minucci that Rob was so kind to post, and said that I was sad to see Simmons retire. He responded that sometimes you had to do what was best for your family, which I thought was pretty classy for him to recognize the importance of certain priorities. I then mentioned that there was a good deal of speculation about D. Edwards being signed soon, and his comment was "That would certainly be all right with me." That is all I could get him to say. I told him I knew he couldn't say much and he smiled and went on his way. I welcomed him to Mississippi and left.

More tomorrow (Friday) morning boys and girls. The weekend will be all closed to the public.

Ken