[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Newbie with a Wavier Rule Question

HoustonCougars

Im trying to talk my commish in 1 of my locals to do the inverse order of standings waiver rules every week but he seems to want there be a free for all, grab any FA any time of the day or night. I don't see that as an even playing field. So If Im outside mowing my lawn, and some hotshot FA hits the board, why does the guy who Happens to be sitting next to a TV or his computer get first crack at him? Please help...........

Im trying to talk my commish in 1 of my locals to do the inverse order of standings waiver rules every week but he seems to want there be a free for all, grab any FA any time of the day or night. I don't see that as an even playing field. So If Im outside mowing my lawn, and some hotshot FA hits the board, why does the guy who Happens to be sitting next to a TV or his computer get first crack at him? Please help...........

So, because you didn't do a good job at the draft and you're falling behind the leaders, who did, you think you deserve to get the 1st shot at free agency? :D The worst-is-first rule is one of the worst in fantasy football. The best way to handle free agency is have the 1st 24 hours be only blind bidding and the rest of the week be FCFS. :D

If you really want the most fair & competitive waiver system, your league ought to be using a blind bid system each week, followed by a first-come-first-serve afterwards. The Professor is a very smart man.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Worst to first rewards the poor teams. I don't like that at all. That's why we have a blind bid system and then open FA after bids have been awarded. Everyone has a fair shot at any player in FA with the bid system. It is the most fair way of dealing IMO.

My local does reverse draft order to start the season, then each pick bumps you back to the end. Rewards the more patient teams. I like the blind bid idea, sounds more fair and adds another level of competitiveness.

IMO the FCFS free for all is the worst system, and agree that blind bids is the way to go for the most fair system. But blind bids only works if there is a set season lng cap for all teams, so that a more wel lto do wner that is willing to spend a lot of money does not ge an advantage over an owner without the disposable income to throw $20 down on a player. HAd that come up in a league I was involved in where blind bids were real dollars, no cap, and one owner was more well off than the others as the rest were al lstill in college, so he simply was able and willing to spend a lot more money than anyone else. Defeated the purpose of the system. Give everyone a cap of say 100 FA dollars. THen it rewards the owners that not only stay on top of the free agents out there, but also those that bid wisely and budget wisely.

We don't use first come first serve because it rewards the owners who are able to be at their computer the second FA starts and penalizes owners that don't. We haven't approached blind bid, but I like the idea. Currently, we use reverse standings. I don't have a problem with it because it does make the league more competetive top to bottom.

Is blind bidding typically set up that you have a certain number of FA dollars for the season and you bid with it each week. Once you use up your FA dollars you can't make any pick-ups the remainder of the season??

Our league works like this: worst-to-first the first day of free agency, then open free agency for the rest of the week. Gives everyone a fair chance to review the weekend's injuries/depth chart changes on Tuesday, get rewarded their players at midnight, and then open free agency thru Saturday.

But you are correct in one aspect of your argument: if you are outside mowing Thursday afternoon, and Larry Johnson breaks his leg and it hits the new reports while you are away, the guy who is glued to his computer will probably have an advantage in going after his back-up.

But on the flip side, if you are a savvy owner, you have your key players handcuffed already. If LJ's back-up is scooped up, and you are pissed, perhaps you should look in the mirror and ask "Why didn't I already have him?"

In the league I run we call it the Transaction account Each coach starts with 150. Deduct the winning bid amount on FA pick ups and IR moves. Be vary of owners who'll bid crazy amounts it can get ugly. lol

Last year was the first year a team(mine) ran out of money. Hit with a ton of injuries & i had to keep picking up crappy wr's thanks to TO. Spend wisely lol

No blind bidding, no worst to first

The team owners that are quick, do research and draft well should be rewarded. Teams that start out 0-3 should not have any advantage in picking up free agents.

I too believe the worst to first rule for priority is one of the worst in ff

In my local league we give "Low Points" team of the week 24 hrs to pick up 1 Free Agent After that it is a free for all first come first serve with $3.00 FA Fee (Used for Post Season League Party)The low points team can not pick up a another FA for 24hrs, then that team can pick up unlimited FA's with the other teams. This is all done on-line and is user friendly, although it can get real "cut throat" at times. This has worked out well and makes for one great post season party !!!!!

So, because you didn't do a good job at the draft and you're falling behind the leaders, who did, you think you deserve to get the 1st shot at free agency? :D The worst-is-first rule is one of the worst in fantasy football. The best way to handle free agency is have the 1st 24 hours be only blind bidding and the rest of the week be FCFS. :D

If you really want the most fair & competitive waiver system, your league ought to be using a blind bid system each week, followed by a first-come-first-serve afterwards. The Professor is a very smart man.

Worst to first rewards the poor teams. I don't like that at all. That's why we have a blind bid system and then open FA after bids have been awarded. Everyone has a fair shot at any player in FA with the bid system. It is the most fair way of dealing IMO.

IMO the FCFS free for all is the worst system, and agree that blind bids is the way to go for the most fair system. But blind bids only works if there is a set season lng cap for all teams, so that a more wel lto do wner that is willing to spend a lot of money does not ge an advantage over an owner without the disposable income to throw $20 down on a player. HAd that come up in a league I was involved in where blind bids were real dollars, no cap, and one owner was more well off than the others as the rest were al lstill in college, so he simply was able and willing to spend a lot more money than anyone else. Defeated the purpose of the system. Give everyone a cap of say 100 FA dollars. THen it rewards the owners that not only stay on top of the free agents out there, but also those that bid wisely and budget wisely.

Blind-bidding is the best followed by FCFS.

We don't use first come first serve because it rewards the owners who are able to be at their computer the second FA starts and penalizes owners that don't. We haven't approached blind bid, but I like the idea. Currently, we use reverse standings. I don't have a problem with it because it does make the league more competetive top to bottom.

Is blind bidding typically set up that you have a certain number of FA dollars for the season and you bid with it each week. Once you use up your FA dollars you can't make any pick-ups the remainder of the season??

I give everyone in my league $100 for the season to make Blind Bids between Monday and Wednesday at 9 PM. Only one player can be added per team during the blind bidding period. Obviously highest bidder wins the player but also loses the amount they bidded. Once they are out of bidding money they can't pick anyone up until after 9 PM. First two add/drops are free the next 8 are $5.00 and after 10 it's $7.00. Trades are free.

Edited by irish

In my local league we give "Low Points" team of the week 24 hrs to pick up 1 Free Agent After that it is a free for all first come first serve with $3.00 FA Fee (Used for Post Season League Party)The low points team can not pick up a another FA for 24hrs, then that team can pick up unlimited FA's with the other teams. This is all done on-line and is user friendly, although it can get real "cut throat" at times. This has worked out well and makes for one great post season party !!!!!

I don't like this idea at all. Just because teams have lowest points, especially early in the season as it could just be a bad game/or stretch of games but they could actually be one of the better teams as the season wears on, doesn't mean they should get the first picks. Bad idea. Then they can't make any moves for the next 24 hours. Time limitations suck!!

Edited by irish

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the blind system and how does it work?

After each week's games, Owners have a set amount like $100 to bid like an auction for free agents. No one else in the league can see who they bid for or how much they bid for the player. When the set time comes like in my league it's Wed night at 9 PM all Blind bids are automatically look at and players are assigned to the owners who bid the highest and the money the owner bid on them is subtracted from there Salary cap so to speak. EX. Team A has $100 in Salary Cap bids $15 on a player and gets him. Next week during blind bidding time Team A only has $85 to bid. After the blind bidding period is over in my league 9 PM on wed. it is first come first serve for any other free agents until Sunday at 1 PM when lineups freeze.

Edited by irish