[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who should in the Hall of Fame?

Randall

Yeah, but I would like to see them in(TD and Holmes). Dominance over several years means more to me than longevity.

Dominance with regard to RBs over a short period of time is more often tied to a dominant O-line than the quality of the back. Holmes and Davis were both very talented backs, but are also the two best "product of the system" examples in recent history, as their successors (LJ and Portis) were nearly as dominant. Not that dominance over three or four years doesn't mean anything, but it often rewards skill-position players for being in the right place at the right time.

Edited by Bill Swerski

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dominance with regard to RBs over a short period of time is more often tied to a dominant O-line than the quality of the back. Holmes and Davis were both very talented backs, but are also the two best "product of the system" examples in recent history, as their successors (LJ and Portis) were nearly as dominant. Not that dominance over three or four years doesn't mean anything, but it often rewards skill-position players for being in the right place at the right time.

Exactly.

Dan Reeves - 200+ wins as HC, 5 SB appearances, and he doesn't make it? C'mon...

Dan Reeves is in the HoF already :D

Has Reeves "officially" retired? That's the only reason I could think of him not being in. I know he has been out of coaching for 2 years now, but I dont know if is retired or not.

When LB Randy Gradishar started 10 years with the Broncos and averaged better per-game career stats in almost every significant statistical category than Ray Lewis, but still can't get into the HoF, that's a travesty & quite frankly a sick joke that tyhe voters apparently think is funny for some unfathomable reason.

Wurd. #53 was a beast. I wore his jersey for years in elementary school. :D

What? He's only the winningest coach with 100+ games under his belt.

You might not like him in the booth, but that's not what got him in there. :D

i disagree completely. it is EXACTLY his fame due to sitting in the booth and having his name on video games that got him into the hall, IMO. a guy with 100 wins and one super bowl doesn't make it to canton unless he's a household name because of other reasons. if you disagree, then why do you think it took 27 years for him to get in? what changed in the last 20 years, aside from all his grunts and "boom", "pow" crap becoming ubiquitous on the airwaves?

i think it would make more sense if he made it in as a coach/contributor instead of just as a coach. :D

i disagree completely. it is EXACTLY his fame due to sitting in the booth and having his name on video games that got him into the hall, IMO. a guy with 100 wins and one super bowl doesn't make it to canton unless he's a household name because of other reasons. if you disagree, then why do you think it took 27 years for him to get in? what changed in the last 20 years, aside from all his grunts and "boom", "pow" crap becoming ubiquitous on the airwaves?

i think it would make more sense if he made it in as a coach/contributor instead of just as a coach. :D

It's the combination of all three. Take away his very good coaching career and ring and I'm not sure that he gets in. Take away his broadcasting career and video game and he's George Allen with a ring.

Davis is not the same as Holmes. TD brought two championships to Denver. I know he had a great line and a HOF QB. Davis was dominant. Maybe he's the reason that Shanny's teams have been so run dominant since then. TD is still a borderline candidate... but he's MUCH closer than Holmes.

That doesn't explain Stepnoski only making 1 pro bowl.

Davis is not the same as Holmes. TD brought two championships to Denver. I know he had a great line and a HOF QB. Davis was dominant. Maybe he's the reason that Shanny's teams have been so run dominant since then. TD is still a borderline candidate... but he's MUCH closer than Holmes.

TD isn't even close to being a candidate. He was dominant for only three years and only has 7,600 rushing yds and 60 TDs over the course of his career. That's not HOF material. Winning two SBs helps, but the fact that he played on two really good teams isn't going to overshadow his good-but-not-great career numbers.

Priest was a more dominant back than TD. He's a different style runner, so he never had those 1,700- and 2,000-yd rushing seasons, but he still has more career rushing yds, a lot more receiving yards, and A LOT more TDs. His 27-TD season also broke the single-season NFL record.