[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints camp notes 8-4 (morning)

rajncajn

Originally posted by MSSaintfan

Hey everyone! Friday morning was in full gear with a nice breeze under clear sunny skies. Temps in the upper 90's.

Joe Horn was excused from practice and not on the field today due to family concerns.

Held out and/on the cycle.....

Beerman

Berger

Cie Grant

Holland

Mayberry

Stallworth

Camp started with a slow walkthrough with 11 on 11. Jhari Evans was getting a lot of reps at the RG position, and it looked as if Stinchcomb and Nesbit were splitting time at RT.

Only receivers and DB's ran with any speed. Maybe half speed.

On one pass, Brees threw the ball to a well covered Zach Hilton, so he spotted the ball on his wrong shoulder side and forced Zach to make the adjustment, which he did beautifully, despite the coverage, Zach pulled in the pass on a beautiful reception. He made another nice catch just a few minutes later, as did Conwell, and then Campbell. IMHO, It seems like Zach and Conwell are solid as the starters, with Cambell, Miller, Lawrie, and Euhus all trading off on who has the hot day behind them. That may be by design, as the coaches seem to be favoring one of them with the play calling each day. If we kept four TE's, I would guess at this point that Miller and Lawrie would be the two cut. JUST MY OPINION AT THIS TIME.

Then there was a receiver drill, and I will also talk about the receivers' work for the rest of the day in other 7 on 7 and full squad drills as well. Colston and Hass lit the camp up this morning. They made the most of Stallworth and Horn not being on the field. Henderson played well, but not as consistently, nor as spectacularly as the others. He did have one beautiful reception from Brees that was a frozen rope to the end zone, but he was inconsistent in his effort. If his knee injury is any kind of serious, (and I hope it isn't), he could be finished. I hope not. I have always rooted for him to produce and utilize that great size and speed, but between his catching problems and his lackadaisical attitude,...........

J.Jones looked good again today, but was not as flashy as in previous sessions. He went down early, but popped right back up, so I don't think that was the problem. Chris Horn and Lance Moore both had mixed days, looking all world one minute and dropping catches the next. In their defense, the DB's, especially the safeties, were all over them. One one play, Stoutmire stepped in front of Moore for an interception, but Lance stole it away from him as he was catching it. Chase Lyman had a good day as well. He was solid as a possession type guy over the middle, but really had good catches when he faked the crossing routes and went deep. That usually got him open for good gains.

Among the big guys, the new signee, LDT Joe Minucci, which I still don't see on the roster, made a move toward recognition this a.m. Despite the fact that he still doesn't even have his name on his jersey, he showed off....blocking a pass from Brees, and getting good pressure on the right side of the OLine at times. Of course, the OLine seems to be a great weakness. Evans at times looks like a Mauler in the run game, unless he ran up against Hollis Thomas, who just looks unmovable. As I said yesterday, Evans needs experience and seasoning against competition. Tommy Davis, DE, also had a good day, with a couple of penetrations to rush the QB, stop the runners in the backfield, or knock down passes. This is the first time I really noticed him standing out, but I moved today and had a little different angle and could see the big guys a little better.

at one point, Leisle was in at LDT and jumped offside. After getting an earful, he was pulled for quite a while before being let back in. This was when Minucci showed off. I am anxious to see what else he can do. He may provide solid depth down the road.

In a receiver vs. DB's only drill this morning, Anwar Phillips was getting owned. Pretty much, he stayed back to make sure no one got behind him, and that left the underneath patterns wide open. Josh Lay, Joey Thomas, Roman Harper, and Bryan Scott all looked good here. Despite that one bobble from Stoutmire on the aforementioned missed INT, we are really looking good at the S position. I wondered if Payton was looking at second tier players a lot today, so that he could pore over the film. The first string safeties, especially, did not seem to get as many reps in this drill. McKenzie and Thomas, when in, both seemed solid and forced the QB's, especially Bouman, to hold onto the ball too long and or to make bad throws. One one play, Drew had nowhere to go, so he just threw it away, which I thought was a good sign. He could have tried to force it like some other QB's we know or have known.

Martin continues to look sharp in only his second day. His throws are precise, and he is showing a good blend of zip and touch on his passes. AMac is doing well with the shorter precision throws, but is inaccurate deep downfield. All look better than Bouman, who continues to hold on too long and make poor decisions. When he does throw, a fair percentage of his passes are off the mark.

During a more up tempo 11 on 11 which came next, Josh Bullocks laid Freddie Mac out on a run up the middle. Despite the "no tackling" that was going on, Bullocks just hit him without wrapping so hard that FMac busted big time. A couple of glares and words, (not too harsh) back and forth and things between them seemed OK. They were talking to each other amicably during the next break. On one of the 11 on 11 rushes, Thomas had the middle plugged up and Bush tried to cut the play back, and Russell Rabe flowed nicely behind the DLine to stay with Bush as he made his cuts. Rabe was then in position to make the tackle as Bush found a hole in the front line. Right after this, Zach Hilton had an unbelievable 40 yard reception from Brees on an out pattern that was on the money. On rushing attempts, Bryan Scott was coming up in run support very quickly. It seems he reads plays very quickly and effectively. He is seldom out of position, though against Bush, that wasn't always enough with the jukes and moves that came the safeties' way.

Martin them came in for a number of reps, and hit Hass on a beauty on an out pattern to the left sideline and 30 yards down field. The very next pass, Hass faked the same pattern and broke into the seam down the middle for another 30 yd Martin/Hass reception. He made up for his two dropped passes yesterday and then some.

CB Grant Mason did have a pic off of Martin after a deflected pass that was missed by Miller. Chase Lyman and Lance Moore also had big receptions from Martin.

Bouman came in and immediately underthrew a wide open Reggie Bush that was four yards behind the DB, and fifty yards downfield, but by the time RB waited for the ball to arrive, the safety had come up to make the play. I was groaning about the pass so much I forgot to see who the safety was that was toast without the bad pass. Bouman did hit Hass up the seam in the middle for a 40 yarder.

Brees came back in a lit up the place on next set of reps.

Martin did as well on his next set, including hitting Hass again, as well as a nice catch from Devery. However on his next attempt, Devery had one go right through his hands with good coverage from behind being provided by Roman Harper.

In FG drills, the battle between Carney and Connor Hughes continues to be a good one. If Hughes can produce in games, Carney has a battle on his hands. Weatherford went back to his old habits of poor punts and not getting consistency. He will follow one beauty with three or four bad punts.

The final work of the day was a hurry up offense/2 minute drill. It was on one of the first plays of this drill that Henderson cam up lame. Otherwise execution was crisp and well played. I think that the defense had the upper hand on these, except when Brees was throwing, then it seemed fairly even.

I will try to get by for some more reports, but they will be much less frequent now that I have to go back to work. This morning's session was the last open to the public until Monday morning, when I report back to school. I will try to get to some afternoon sessions in the stadium as time allows. The sessions start every afternoon after I get off work, so I won't be seeing everything, but I'll do my best. The only weekend sessions left open to the public are on the 19th, and I will be teaching three seminars that day.

Ken

Thanks, from yesterday.

"Deuce was moving and cutting well. I don't know who the national reporter was who said Deuce was noticeably limping, but I watched him for four years in Mississippi, as well as since he has been with the Saints, and it just looks like his same old gait to me. He certainly doesn't run like he is in much pain. After every carry, once he was "stopped", (not full contact on this one), he would still run the ball downfield, most of the time taking it at least another 20-30 yards. Even after a couple of times when he was brought completely down, he got back up and ran it out. He is clearly showing the old form and leadership of old."

On one misdirection play, the OLine sealed off there blocks in what appeared to be a run to the left side. All of a sudden, Reggie burst out on the right, and there was no chance for anyone to catch him. The same thing happened to the other side just a little later. He is unreal. On both plays, the crowd (though limited in number for this session by the staff) responded accordingly.

Edited by Randall

Be aware that spain lives in TN, loves the color pink, and sheep seem to always be associated with him.

He will leave the light on for you.....

Ok, thanks for the info. Don't know how any of that ever got past me. :D