[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cedric Benson Injured

HutOne

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had read he's dinged up the same knee that bothered him last year, but he downplayed it, just sayng it was sore, but it wasn't serious.... I guess Jones is off the trading block now, in any case.

Edited by Rovers

I was just listening to Sirius Fantasy Football and they just reported that Benson was carted off the field after a hit by Urlacker. It appears to be his arm or shoulder. No other info available.

I heard that maybe the defense is hitting Benson a bit harder than they would have Jones who is popular in the lockerroom. Hope Benson is okay because the CHI backfield is already tough enough to figure out.

I heard that maybe the defense is hitting Benson a bit harder than they would have Jones who is popular in the lockerroom. Hope Benson is okay because the CHI backfield is already tough enough to figure out.

You so love Benson. :D

Nobody likes a T-Sip... :D

Benson carted off field with shoulder injury

By Larry Mayer

August 4, 2006

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. - The Bears offense lost one of its key components Friday night when Cedric Benson was carted off the practice field after hurting his left shoulder.

The second-year pro sustained the injury while being hit in rapid succession by Brian Urlacher and Mike Brown after catching a short pass from Rex Grossman during 11-on-11 drills.

Benson dropped the ball, went down to one knee, removed his helmet and grabbed his shoulder in pain. Surrounded by concerned teammates, he was treated on the field for about seven minutes before being driven to the locker room with his shoulder wrapped.

"Cedric Benson injured his shoulder," coach Lovie Smith said after the practice at Olivet Nazarene's Ward Field. "We'll get X-rays on it. That's about all we know is that."

The hits Benson absorbed were consistent with most during a padded practice and weren't overly aggressive or vicious. The injury occurred on such a seemingly ordinary play that even the two defenders who were involved couldn't explain what transpired.

"I don't know what happened," Urlacher said. "I just turned around and he was on the ground. That's all I saw."

"I really don't know what happened," Brown said. "I think after we all see it on film we'll know exactly what happened. I wish I had more info, but I don't."

With a strained hamstring sidelining veteran running back Thomas Jones since the start of training camp, Benson was thriving while practicing with the No. 1 offense.

"I would say that he's having an excellent camp like he had an excellent offseason," Smith said. "Hopefully we'll get him back out here before long. We went down tonight, but we'll see exactly how bad the injury is."

The way it was being portrayed in the Chicago Tribune was that Benson has been being hit harder as an initiation or hazing as opposed to his lack of popularity.

The way it was being portrayed in the Chicago Tribune was that Benson has been being hit harder as an initiation or hazing as opposed to his lack of popularity.

Could be. This is his first training camp ever in the NFL.

From the Herald...

Ever since the Bears started practicing in full pads Saturday, defensive players have gone out of their way to hit Benson much more than any other offensive player. Apparently because he missed all of last season’s training camp while his contract was being negotiated, Benson is being singled out for significantly more contact than anyone else.

Jones, who rushed for 1,335 yards last season but was dropped to No. 2 on the depth chart after boycotting all the Bears’ “voluntary” off-season practices and workouts, has yet to practice because of a strained hamstring. No. 3 running back Adrian Peterson, a five-year veteran, hasn’t been hit hard all camp.

After getting thumped twice in a practice earlier in the week, Benson lowered his shoulder and drove safety Chris Harris several feet down the field. A couple days later, after again taking a couple shots, Benson rammed defensive end Wale Ogunleye and knocked him a couple yards from the point of attack.

On Wednesday, Benson was asked if the action during practice was getting chippy.

“At times,” he said. “They tell me we’re not going to hit. When I come through the hole, I’m not really trying to hit them, they’re trying to hit me. So I just think they’re trying to set me up.”

Benson was only half-serious when he said that, but he missed practice on Aug. 1 with a sore and swollen knee and was asked if it was from avoiding a low tackle the night before.

“No,” he said. “It was probably those crazy defensive guys running into me.”

He said that with a laugh, but he wasn’t laughing Saturday night.

Smith was asked if the hit by Urlacher and Brown, which appeared pretty tame, was still unnecessary.

“Our guys don’t hit unnecessarily out here, believe me,” Smith said. “But you’re going to get hit from time to time. There was nothing cheap about it.”

Even though Urlacher and Brown were in on the hit, they couldn’t shine any light on the situation.

“I don’t even know if I hit him,” Urlacher said. “I’m not at liberty to really comment about injuries out here.”

Said Brown: “I really don’t know what happened. You don’t want to get anyone injured in practice, (and) he’s someone that we’re counting on.”

I thought hazing was supposed to be about taping a guy naked to the goalpost or something less painful...

the internet is nothing short of amazing...

Looked like the problem was Mike Brown who came up under his elbow and whacked his arm upwards from behind.

Rotoworld: Cedric Benson injured his shoulder Friday night and had to leave the Bears' practice field on a cart. Benson will undergo X-rays Saturday morning to determine the extent of the injury. Even a mild injury could give Thomas Jones (hamstring) a chance to regain his stance with the first team. ProFootballTalk.com speculates that Bears defenders have been hitting Benson especially hard to show their support for Jones.

More pft "claims" - great. :rollseyes:

Haven't watched the clip but I find as a general rule that the less damaging a hit looks the mor hurtful it can be because it wasn't speed or power that does the damage, but awkwardness leading to twisting.

This might not be good at all.

Fluke love tap type injury.

I think Pope Flick said it best;

"I find as a general rule that the less damaging a hit looks the mor hurtful it can be because it wasn't speed or power that does the damage, but awkwardness leading to twisting."

Hopefully it was just a stinger. :D

This is a frickin' business - how stupid are the Bears' players? You're going to weaken your RB position just to take a few cheap shots on one of your team mates, even if he is unpopular? That's just flat out stupid.

Hazing is cool - I understand what is going on. But geez, put some icy-hot in his jock, tape him to a goal post, make him carry the vets' gear after practice, make him clean up after the vest eat, short sheet his bed - that's fine. But taking cheap shots on the field isn't only stupid & detrimental to the overall health of the team - it's downright childish & it could be dangerous.

That Lovie is allowing it says something about him, too.

Here's to hoping that the Bears go down the same road this year that they did after they were 13-3 in '01.