[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cedric Benson Injured

HutOne

This is a frickin' business - how stupid are the Bears' players? You're going to weaken your RB position just to take a few cheap shots on one of your team mates, even if he is unpopular? That's just flat out stupid.

Hazing is cool - I understand what is going on. But geez, put some icy-hot in his jock, tape him to a goal post, make him carry the vets' gear after practice, make him clean up after the vest eat, short sheet his bed - that's fine. But taking cheap shots on the field isn't only stupid & detrimental to the overall health of the team - it's downright childish & it could be dangerous.

That Lovie is allowing it says something about him, too.

Here's to hoping that the Bears go down the same road this year that they did after they were 13-3 in '01.

You think having Jones at RB instead of Benson will weaken the Bears at RB? I'm not so sure - I think Benson is a pansy. I hope I'm wrong but I've never liked the guy right from the moment the Bears made the mistake of drafting him.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You think having Jones at RB instead of Benson will weaken the Bears at RB? I'm not so sure - I think Benson is a pansy. I hope I'm wrong but I've never liked the guy right from the moment the Bears made the mistake of drafting him.

I think reducing the team by Benson, whether he is the #1 or the #2 RB, weakens the team. You may not like him, but at the very least he's quality depth, and at the best he's a competent starter for an offense that has to run the ball to be functional at all.

Why don't you like him? Do you know him personally? Is it because he held out last season? Because if that's it, that's a shame. Why wouldn't he want what is best for him?

This is a frickin' business - how stupid are the Bears' players? You're going to weaken your RB position just to take a few cheap shots on one of your team mates, even if he is unpopular? That's just flat out stupid.

Hazing is cool - I understand what is going on. But geez, put some icy-hot in his jock, tape him to a goal post, make him carry the vets' gear after practice, make him clean up after the vest eat, short sheet his bed - that's fine. But taking cheap shots on the field isn't only stupid & detrimental to the overall health of the team - it's downright childish & it could be dangerous.

That Lovie is allowing it says something about him, too.

Here's to hoping that the Bears go down the same road this year that they did after they were 13-3 in '01.

VIDEO of Bears RB Benson injury

That doesn't look like a cheap shot to me. :D

What do you think BB?

VIDEO of Bears RB Benson injury

That doesn't look like a cheap shot to me. :D

What do you think BB?

I wasn't speaking of the hit that caused the injury specifically, but rather to the reports that the vets were whacking Benson late out of bounds after plays and were taking significantly stronger shots at him in practice pays than all other players. The film doesn't make the hit look particularly egregious, but I'd hate to think the injury occurred because the Mike Brown would have pulled up with another player but decided to stick his shoulder pad in under Benson's arm simply because he was Benson.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Latest rotoworld:

Cedric Benson (shoulder) is reportedly expected to miss at least two weeks of practice.

That Benson has been targeted by Bears defenders in practice seems to be the theory of consensus. Saturday morning's X-ray results should provide a better read on the seriousness of Benson's injury.

Agree with BB -- stupid, shortsighted and selfish of Lovie and the lunkhead defensive players in Jones' corner to do this to Benson, if that's indeed the case (and Urlacher, while not going full tilt, clearly didn't pull up short, either). You think Colangelo & Bears management is happy to see their multi-million dollar (so far) bust of an investment get de-railed even before he gets a chance to start making that investment look a little bit better? Someone will pay for this...rich men don't like seeing anyone f*ck with their $$, whether it's tied up in in stocks, cocaine or NFL players.

Edited by msaint

I hope Benson is ok but at this point you have to conclude he's a little injury prone and over rated until he proves otherwise. Just because he was a high draft pick and has "potential" doesn't mean he should be starting. The Bears know what they have with T. Jones, a 1,300 yard all-purpose back. On the other hand, they don't really know what they have with Benson.

It would be great for FF if they just gave T. Jones the rock and made Benson come off the bench. I'm going with the guy that's proven. The only thing Benson has proven is that he gets banged up a lot.

I hope Benson is ok but at this point you have to conclude he's a little injury prone and over rated until he proves otherwise. Just because he was a high draft pick and has "potential" doesn't mean he should be starting. The Bears know what they have with T. Jones, a 1,300 yard all-purpose back. On the other hand, they don't really know what they have with Benson.

It would be great for FF if they just gave T. Jones the rock and made Benson come off the bench. I'm going with the guy that's proven. The only thing Benson has proven is that he gets banged up a lot.

I can't argue with that. If a RB is going to make an impact in the bigs, they need to have a tolerance for pain and not get nicked up all the time.

On the other hand, careers are short enough and the contact is fearsome in games - why increase the risk with ticky-tack chippy play in practice?

Why don't you like him? Do you know him personally? Is it because he held out last season? Because if that's it, that's a shame. Why wouldn't he want what is best for him?

Because he blubbed when he found he was going to the Bears.

Because he held out.

Because he has an advisory posse, a harbinger of doom if ever there was one.

Because he doesn't want to play for the Bears.

Because we didn't need an RB.

Because he seems to be a prima donna.

Because if he can't take practice hits, however hard, there is no chance of him being useful in a game.

Because he has bust written all over him.

Apart from that, I think he's great.

I wasn't speaking of the hit that caused the injury specifically, but rather to the reports that the vets were whacking Benson late out of bounds after plays and were taking significantly stronger shots at him in practice pays than all other players. The film doesn't make the hit look particularly egregious, but I'd hate to think the injury occurred because the Mike Brown would have pulled up with another player but decided to stick his shoulder pad in under Benson's arm simply because he was Benson.

Gotcha & agree. :D

Now BB, don't you go getting a swelled head and all, just 'cause I happened to agree with ya this once. :D

Because he held out.

Because if he can't take practice hits, however hard, there is no chance of him being useful in a game.

:D:D

Because he held out.

WAH!! :D

msaint, you're a funny guy that says funny things. That's the funniest thing you've ever said. :D

BS1 just concurred as well...

all in the same week the huddle has been advertised all over local sports radio stations...

my world is falling apart all around me..

all in the same week the huddle has been advertised all over local sports radio stations...

My bad for letting that become public knowledge. :D

Shoulda just sent BB a PM :D

:D

You'll come around. There's no denying the inescapable logic combined with breath-taking insight.

Believe it or not, this is my biggest worry. Aside from Tommie Harris, GM Jerry Angelo's track record with first-round picks has been awful. :D

Edited by Wolverines Fan

WAH!! :D

What the F is the matter with you? :D

Is it compulsory to like Benson or something? I think I've explained why I dislike him and have little faith that he will amount to much. If I'm wrong, so much the better as that will be good for the Bears - my team, BTW.

I didn't think that was the case. Where has he said that, or do you think him being a pansy after holding out is why he doesn't want to play?

Not a whole lot to add with all that's been said, but if the HC of a division fav is letting his DT take a few harder shots at one of the best RB they have on the roster, well his ass needs to be canned. If he's looking the other way, then the owner has to hold him accountable, and make an example out of him in return. Also, with the way the Bears DT ran their mouths before the PO last year vs the Panthers, and some of Lovies comments as well, it seems like there could be some truth to this afterall.

last years injury to benson looked real bad, it looked like a definite season ending injury and possibly a career ending injury. this was when his knee got hit and bend the wrong way. and he came back in 5-6 weeks IIRC. i respect on how quickly he came back. and yes this is his 2nd injury in 2 years, but will see on how he comes back from this before I make a judgment on him being a bust or not.

I'm also upset at the defense taking extra shots during practice, but I cant see the defense trying to lessen their chances by hurting fellow teammates on purpose.

I like both backs, but its not like TJ is some iron horse, he has been hurt every season with the bears. and he played threw it with a few weeks off during the season.

Edited by whitem0nkey