[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tier 2 Running Backs

spain

Ok, so we know the consensus is that LT2, Alexander, and LJ are the top 3 backs in no particular order. But lets talk about how you rank the next tier of guys. How do you rate Portis, Tiki, Edge, S Jackson, Ronnie Brown, McGahee, Lamont Jordan, and Cadillac.

DMD has them all in the same tier which I dont agree with. I think Portis, Tiki, and Jackson are a cut above the others and should be tier 2. I like Portis ALOT this year. I really could group him with the top3 guys actually. Tiki is always the most under-rated fantasy player in the league. He should have another consistent year for an improving Giants team. And Stephen Jackson's upside puts him up into tier 2 for me.

Then for Tier 3 I like them in this order: Ronnie, Edge, Caddillac, Mcgahee, Rudi, Dom Davis, Jordan. Browns upside is very exciting and pushes him to the top of this group. Edge is a stud but Arizona is historically the places where RB careers go to die. His talent still ranks him here. Caddy and McGahee are about even to me. Then I group Rudi, Dom, and Jordan sort of together. Unlike DMD, I dont think Westbrook should be included in this tier. Recap of my rankings:

LT2, SA, LJ

Portis(1a)

Tiki, SJax(tier 2)

Tier 3

Ronnie, Edge

Caddy, McGahee

Rudi, Dom, Jordan

Just curious about the McGhee props, what about him do you like enough to group him w/ Caddy,R.Brown Jordan ect.. He absoultey destroyed one of my teams last year, I couldnt be more down on the guy. I do agree with you on Portis he is clearly the #4 guy in my book, he should have agreat year.

here's my example in a PPR league...and they are in no order....just grouped by tiers as I can think of them..

T1:

LJ

LT2

SA

T2:

Tiki

Portis

T3:

Brown

Caddy

SJax

LJ2

T4:

Westy

Edge

KJ

T5:

Rudi

McGahee

CTaylor

Droughns

edit: moved LJ2 up a tier.....he's earned it...

Edited by Avernus

Just curious about the McGhee props, what about him do you like enough to group him w/ Caddy,R.Brown Jordan ect.. He absoultey destroyed one of my teams last year, I couldnt be more down on the guy. I do agree with you on Portis he is clearly the #4 guy in my book, he should have agreat year.

his talent is unquestionable......but the supporting cast and his durability are just as much a question...

Spain- I agree that Portis is clearly #4 and would love to land him. The rest of Tier 2 (for me) is:

Tiki

Rudi

Brown

Jackson

Cadillac

I don't love Edge this year with that OL, or Jordan or McGahee

DD isn't durable enough

J Jones has Barber over his shoulder

Droughns OL is deteriorating

In fact, after the top 8, it looks pretty bad

Spain- I agree that Portis is clearly #4 and would love to land him. The rest of Tier 2 (for me) is:

Tiki

Rudi

Brown

Jackson

Cadillac

I don't love Edge this year with that OL, or Jordan or McGahee

DD isn't durable enough

J Jones has Barber over his shoulder

Droughns OL is deteriorating

In fact, after the top 8, it looks pretty bad

I disagree....I still like Westy, CTaylor, KJ and Droughns.....

One thing to remember about tiers is that they should represent "like" players but in the case of tier 2 for RB's, they don't make much sense really when you only had players 4-6 in them when they will clearly be drafted all in a row anyway. Other than Manning occasionally sneaking in, almost every draft has the top 10 or 11 backs all be taken before any other position is considered. So any tiering short of that initial run doesn't really make much difference in the decision making process which is the only reason to tier.

Spain, where's the love for Jordan? Particularly when considering pts. per Rec. What are your views of his downside? I have to choose between him and the Edge with the no. 1 pick in my keeper league. You've got him way down there.

I am not as high on Jordan as some are and like him least of the group being discussed. This will be another very bad Raider team. They will be passing alot to try to keep up with the other teams scoring. Plus, the have a new head coach, new system, and new qB in place. That much change is going to take some time to adjust to. Brooks is an able QB, but is prone to making big mistakes. If your scoring system gives point per reception for rb's, then Jordan needs to be bumped up some. I think he will catch alot of passes again this year, primarily as a safety valve when Blake cant find someone 50 yards down field. But otherwise, I have rated at the end of that list of rb's we discussed.

I am not as high on Jordan as some are and like him least of the group being discussed. This will be another very bad Raider team. They will be passing alot to try to keep up with the other teams scoring. Plus, the have a new head coach, new system, and new qB in place. That much change is going to take some time to adjust to. Brooks is an able QB, but is prone to making big mistakes. If your scoring system gives point per reception for rb's, then Jordan needs to be bumped up some. I think he will catch alot of passes again this year, primarily as a safety valve when Blake cant find someone 50 yards down field. But otherwise, I have rated at the end of that list of rb's we discussed.

You mean Brooks.... :D

Curious as to what you see in SJackson that you consider strong enough upside to make Tier 3? He seems to get dinged a lot and has missed a few games and left a few more early.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, weren't 3 of Ari's 5 starting OL last year done for the year from injury by Wk 5 or 6 last year? I ask that because I think you're looking WAY past Edge who is going to pretty much the same OL that Emmitt did ok behind PLUS Denny Green invented prolific fantasy position players, did quite fine with Robert Smith and now has a bona fide talent that you cannot put 8 in the box against.

Look past him at your own risk IMO. Easy Tier 3, maybe as good as Tier 2 Tiki.

LT2, SA, LJ - yep, I i have em SA,LJ,LT

Portis(1a)

Tiki, SJax(tier 2)- not buying into SJax- I have hard time believing Rams will run him enough

Tier 3

Ronnie, Edge - I like RBrown alot,

Caddy, McGahee

Rudi, Dom, Jordan - think LJordan will be nice back- I like Westbrook over DD

One thing to remember about tiers is that they should represent "like" players but in the case of tier 2 for RB's, they don't make much sense really when you only had players 4-6 in them when they will clearly be drafted all in a row anyway. Other than Manning occasionally sneaking in, almost every draft has the top 10 or 11 backs all be taken before any other position is considered. So any tiering short of that initial run doesn't really make much difference in the decision making process which is the only reason to tier.

I'm glad somebody said this. :D

I gotta respectfully disagree. This used to be how tiering was used -- I used to tier so that after the first tier of RBs were gone, I'd look at Tier 1 WRs -- but with the RB-crazed world that has become fantasy football, it just doesn't work that way any more.

Take thehuddle tiers: RBs have 3 in T1, 11 in T2; WRs have 8 in T1, 6 in T2; and QBs have 2 in T1, 10 in T2.

As you describe it, there is no reason to have only 3 RBs in T1, since the first dozen or so picks will be RBs. It gets even crazier with the QBs: There are 2 in T1, but Manning is #12 overall -- in the middle of T2 RBs -- and Brady is #37 overall, at the end of the T3 RBs. How can they be "like" players, when you have one ranked two rounds behind the other one? While you can argue taking Manning at the end of the first round is a good but risky pick, taking Brady at that spot is insanity.

I think what spain is doing is closer to what you are doing -- the decision-making process you speak of is not about when to draft which position, but grouping players by similar "risk/reaward" so that if you could draft any of those players in the tier without making a bone-headed decision. This is why everyone has the top 3 RBs as T1-- any of those three are a good pick at 1. That's not true with the T2 RBs, even though they'll get drafted right after the T1 RBs.

Right now, I have the obvious 3 at T1; Portis, Tiki, Rudi, Ronnie, Caddy, Edge at T2; SJax, McGahee, Jordan at T3. I'd probably take any of those guys before I even thought of a T1 WR this year, but if I have, say, the ninth pick, and there is a T2 RB left, I'm taking that guy over anyone in T3. So, again, I think the subdivision helps, unless you draft according to a strict cheat sheet (I don't).

Tiering that way also gives you another option in modern fantasy football: For those in multiple leagues, you can diversify your picks based on your tiers, leaving you less susceptible injuries, which is a concern with any RB. So, if I had the first pick in two different leagues, I'd probably take LJ in one and SA in another.

The way I build tiers is based on what you'd like to see them as on your roster:

Tier 1 = "Screw you" players, as in "screw you all, I got LJ"

LJ

LT2

SA

Tier 2 = Quality #1 - guys you can't quite say screw you over, but ones you would love to land as your #1 RB:

Tiki

Portis

Edge

Rudi

Jordan

Tier 3 = Meh as #1 (acceptable if you go stud elsewhere first) or high caliber #2 RB:

McGahee

RBrown

Jackson

Caddy

Westbrook

Tier 4 = Weak #1, solid #2, strong #3+, generally have risk/potential rewards:

Dillon

Chester Taylor

Dom

Jamal

Fast Willie

Droughns