[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stuffed Cabbage

evil_gop_liars

This is one of my all time favorite summer BBQing dishes.

1 large head of cabbage (green)

1 pound of sausage. I prefer ground hot Italian.

Cilantro about 1/4 cup...give or take. (chopped)

1 red onion (diced)

1 Stick of butter (melted)

1 lime.

Hollow out cabbage. This is more difficult than it seems, just remember you have to fit a pound of sausage and a whole red onion in there. One trick I do after hollowing it out, is cut from the top to about half way down in large pie shape wedges.

In a skillet cook sausage. Take a mixing bowl add sausage, diced onion, cilantro and butter. Mix well and stuff the cabbage. Once stuffed cut lime in half and squeeze lime juice over mixture. Wrap cabbage in tin foil. Put cabbage on grill over indirect heat. It will take a while for cabbage to cook so start it before you cook anything else.

To serve I usually finish cutting wedges and toss it in a bowl.

1 red onion (diced)

1 lime.

Hollow out cabbage. This is more difficult than it seems, just remember you have to fit a pound of sausage and a whole red onion in there. One trick I do after hollowing it out, is cut from the top to about half way down in large pie shape wedges.

In a skillet cook sausage. Take a mixing bowl add sausage, diced onion, cilantro and butter. Mix well and stuff the cabbage. Once stuffed cut lime in half and squeeze lime juice over mixture. Wrap cabbage in tin foil. Put cabbage on grill over indirect heat. It will take a while for cabbage to cook so start it before you cook anything else.

dam im going to try this today

Pretty dam tasty. The cabbage can be a beeyotch to hollow out. Couldn't get all of the stuffing in, so added the remainder after I took the cabbage off. All I could get around here was the Johnsonville Italian sausage, but they worked well. The cilantro set it off. Can't wait for the inevitable cabbage flatulence. :D

1 red onion (diced)

1 lime.

worked out great and was assume.... used chorizo and added some bell and jalaps' it was freaken great.. something i will do agian and agian.....

• 7 months later...

Did this again yesterday, but didn't use the butter. Plenty of fat from the sausage to keep the cabbage moist. Tasty. :D

Edited by Big F'n Dave

OK... a little help here on hollowing out the cabbage. Do you work on this from the stem end, or from the top? While removing the stem end would make it tend to fall apart, the aluminum foil should keep it together, no? This sounds pretty good, I'd like to try it.

OK... a little help here on hollowing out the cabbage.

I work from the stem end. Cut it out as much as you can and then use an ice cream scoop to hollow out the inside. Never had a problem with it falling apart. I've never hollowed it out enough that it would hold all of the sausage/onion mixture, so I mix the remainder with the cabbage I scooped out and throw it all together at the end. The uncooked cabbage adds a little crunch. :D

OK... a little help here on hollowing out the cabbage. Do you work on this from the stem end, or from the top? While removing the stem end would make it tend to fall apart, the aluminum foil should keep it together, no? This sounds pretty good, I'd like to try it.

Yes the stem end and no it won't fall apart. You wrap it in foil because your basically steaming the cabbage over the indirect heat.

How about a rough estimate on the time it takes to cook the cabbage? I think I'll try this over the weekend.

• 2 years later...