[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions Open Practice

RussMan

lol...oh yeah, Kitna is the answer to the Lion's prayers...3 burners at WR and he's throwing the short/midrange passes...Jones and whoever the TE is should definitely be bumped up the boards if that's the case...

McCown looked decent last year in his starts with Arizona...same type of offense being instilled in Detroit this year and supposedly an open competition for starting QB...

If you think back to the Rams heyday, they made thier living on short and mid crossing routes with complicated WR patters, and gained a lot of YAC. Warner was never a bomber.

Kitna and long ball in the same sentence- :D funny chit. He is journeyman at best and I would be pissed if I was a Detroit homer heading into the season with Kitna as my #1- guy is a limited QB, and is gonna be brutal running that offense- bring back Erik Kramer or Gary Danielson!

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Kitna put up some decent numbers in his last season as starting QB for the Bengals? And I seem to remember him hitting CJ on some nice long balls....

Kitna and long ball in the same sentence- :D funny chit. He is journeyman at best and I would be pissed if I was a Detroit homer heading into the season with Kitna as my #1- guy is a limited QB, and is gonna be brutal running that offense- bring back Erik Kramer or Gary Danielson!

I am pizzed because I am a Detroit homer. not because Kitna is the starting QB.

On a more serious note though. it makes me laugh every time someone starts dogging Kitnas arm strength. I mean I know he does not have the strongest arm in the NFL. but is is strong enough to be a NFL QB. the only thing I worry about is his protection. if he gets that then he will succeed just as he did in Cincy. if he don't then it is another long season for our offense.

I realize that being a Lion homer has taken it's toll on you over the years...but the Lions this time around, new coach, new offense, and McCown was playing in Arizona last year...so basically both Kitna and McCown have to learn the new offense...McCown played in a similiar offense with the Cards, and throws a tad bit better long ball than Kitna, again JMHO...

If Kitna does manage to hang onto the starting spot going into the reg. season, September will be a long one for you and I wouldn't count on him being there by October... :D

:D

I was responding to someone saying he played in the same offense last year and is better suited for the offense because of that. but of course, you knew that. :D

If you think back to the Rams heyday, they made thier living on short and mid crossing routes with complicated WR patters, and gained a lot of YAC. Warner was never a bomber.

That's what it looks like to me. Short and mid range passes, with power running and some tosses to the RB mixed in.

That's what it looks like to me. Short and mid range passes, with power running and some tosses to the RB mixed in.

Warner could hit the downfield guy, and that is what began getting him killed in the pocket. He was holding on to the ball too long for protection. When Martz first brought Bulger in, he hit with a LOT of the short and mid-range routes and only the occasional bomb. But as he got more experience in the pocket, he began to stretch the field. I think it is part of the learning curve for a Martz offense. :D

Edited by cre8tiff

I am pizzed because I am a Detroit homer. not because Kitna is the starting QB.

On a more serious note though. it makes me laugh every time someone starts dogging Kitnas arm strength. I mean I know he does not have the strongest arm in the NFL. but is is strong enough to be a NFL QB. the only thing I worry about is his protection. if he gets that then he will succeed just as he did in Cincy. if he don't then it is another long season for our offense.

Kitna does a nice job onf combining average arm strength with poor decision making. He also does a nice job of locking on to the #1 option and forcing balls where he shouldn't. He will drive you nuts- looks good, then throw that brutal INT at the 5 yd line. If I was a Det. fan, I would rather see a young McCown out there making some plays and getting experience- they aren't going anywhere for a few years anyway.