[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bell as the #1 RB in DEN

Bronco Billy

LINK

Mike Bell climbs into contention

By Bill Williamson

Denver Post Staff Writer

The most eye-opening player in the first week of the Broncos' training camp? Mike Bell, who worked his way into the mix for the starting tailback job.

The undrafted rookie free agent from the University of Arizona has been a surprise thus far, and he could work his way up the depth chart this week. Bell has shown he fits Denver's running style, and some in the organization have compared his performance in camp to Terrell Davis' in 1995.

If Bell has another strong week of practice, he likely will get significant playing time in the preseason opener Friday at Detroit, where he can show the team if he is ready to compete with Tatum Bell and Ron Dayne for the starting tailback job. Denver coach Mike Shanahan often lauded Bell for his work and strong running style in camp.

Bell was projected to be a mid-round pick, but a poor 40-yard dash time at the NFL combine and his pro day hurt his chances. Denver signed him and gave him a $20,000 signing bonus shortly after the draft.

Bell is a Denver native and a lifelong Broncos fan.

"I just want to give everything I have and compete," Bell said.

I took, what could loosely be described as a flyer on Bell. I used my 20th (and last) Round pick in a 16-Teamer to secure his rights.

Now imagine if he ends up the starter I'd call that a true value pick.

I took, what could loosely be described as a flyer on Bell. I used my 20th (and last) Round pick in a 16-Teamer to secure his rights.

I own him in a dynasty league, and new like this makes my pants tight...

And this is also why I never even seriously consider drafting a denver RB with an early (first 5-6 rounds) pick. It's a recipie for a screw job!

He's been doing very well, but don't jump yet there are also reports of Tatum and Dayne likely starting too. Let's watch in preseason.

Dayne has looked very solid in camp so far. He's kind of like Ol' Reliable. You know you're going to get your steady yards & moving the chains, but you aren't going to get spectacualr highlight reel stuff from him except in very rare instances. Tatum Bell on the other hand has been completely inconsistent in camp, but has produced some fireworks with long plays. T Bell's problem is that for every great play he rips off in camp, he makes two screw ups - fumbles, bobbled passes that get picked off for D TDs, no yards on gaol line plays, missed blocks.

T Bell has done absolutely nothing to dispel the notion the DEN coaching staff has of him - he's great, but only in limited quantities & only in certain situations. Dayne has done nothing but give the DEN coaching staff what they wanted from him - a chains-mover who keeps the offense on the field for extended times and allows other facets of the offense to function properly.

Mike Bell is the wild card. I'm getting real curious to see him in pads vs other teams now. He has definitely caught the coaching staffs' eyes and right now seems to be the guy right that is the compromise between Dayne & T Bell. We'll see, but he's someone to keep track of while your league mates are ignorant in your FF drafts. He is definitely looking more & more like the guy to use to backup Dayne, and you can get him dirt cheap. If Dayne gets hurt or disappoints, T Bell isn't goiing to see a change in his workload unless he changes his M.O. dramatically from now until the start of the regular season - he's pigeonholed himslef into the CoP RB in DEN. Getting Dayne in the 6th/7th round & picking up M Bell with the last pick of your draft could provide some serious value at the RB spot, while your league opponents are looking at T Bell in the 3rd/4th round.

Edited by Bronco Billy

So does this mean Cobbs is pretty much out of the race for the starter position at this point?

It looks like Cobbs may not have a roster spot available, much less competing for a starting spot.

Edited by Bronco Billy

It'd be nice if myfantasyleague.com had a Mike Bell listed for players.

You can enter players manually at mfl.com

They won't add UDFAs to their player database until the player actually makes the final cut - they've always done that, but your commish can add any player name, team & position manually through his magical commish powers at the site (actually, it's really easy - takes about 1 minute).

I'm carrying 4 UDFAs on my dynasty roster right now who are not in the main player database. M Bell is one of them.

You can enter players manually at mfl.com

They won't add UDFAs to their player database until the player actually makes the final cut - they've always done that, but your commish can add any player name, team & position manually through his magical commish powers at the site (actually, it's really easy - takes about 1 minute).

I'm carrying 4 UDFAs on my dynasty roster right now who are not in the main player database. M Bell is one of them.

Yeah im the commish for my league but it myfnatasyleague.com said this...

"but you should never use this feature to enter a player that has been recently signed with an NFL team's 53-man roster, as he will most likely be added to our master player database shortly."

So I figured they should be adding him soon.

Yeah im the commish for my league but it myfnatasyleague.com said this...

"but you should never use this feature to enter a player that has been recently signed with an NFL team's 53-man roster, as he will most likely be added to our master player database shortly."

So I figured they should be adding him soon.

Teams go to 53 man rosters in after the last week of preseason. It'll be over a month before mfl.com adds UDFAs.

In any case, we've done it for 3 years in our league & never had any problems.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Teams go to 53 man rosters in after the last week of preseason. It'll be over a month before mfl.com adds UDFAs.

In any case, we've done it for 3 years in our league & never had any problems.

Oh alright, thanks for the input. Do you just add/drop the custom player when they officially add him?

It'd be nice if myfantasyleague.com had a Mike Bell listed for players.

The are also missing Hank Baskett, who happened to start at WR for the Eagles night, and who many locals in-the-know beleive will be starting opposite Reggie Brown.

How can a fantasy website not be kept up-to-date with the most public of info??? :D

The are also missing Hank Baskett, who happened to start at WR for the Eagles night, and who many locals in-the-know beleive will be starting opposite Reggie Brown.

How can a fantasy website not be kept up-to-date with the most public of info??? :D

Do you realize how many UDFAs are in the NFL right now? With rosters around 80, and cuts going to 53 + PS + IR + PUP, you'd probably being looking at adding 400+ players to the database when 95+% of them will not make a final roster.

It's a whole lot easier adding them after they actually make the team and letting leagues that draft earlier have a custom player option. Then you have confusion with all the extra names in drafts for leagues that aren't as seriously deranged about FF as most of us are.

Do you realize how many UDFAs are in the NFL right now? With rosters around 80, and cuts going to 53 + PS + IR + PUP, you'd probably being looking at adding 400+ players to the database when 95+% of them will not make a final roster.

It's a whole lot easier adding them after they actually make the team and letting leagues that draft earlier have a custom player option. Then you have confusion with all the extra names in drafts for leagues that aren't as seriously deranged about FF as most of us are.

Not to mention the performance impact on the database having those extra 400+ players to sort through every time a query was created. Their policy is quite reasonable and a workaround is provided.

Several of the leagues I am in simply draft a complete nobody, preferably a FA, and just make a notation. Once the player gets added (if they get added) then we just make the appropriate swap.

Edited by smithkt

Several of the leagues I am in simply draft a complete nobody, preferably a FA, and just make a notation. Once the player gets added (if they get added) then we just make the appropriate swap.

"Who in the hell is Taco Wallace?!?"

:D

We do the same thing at the on-line draft, then swap out right after the draft with custom players. That way all owners have access to who is on who's roster in case someone like M Bell makes some kind of splash when FA comes.