[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bold Predictions

kryptonite

I PREDICT today, August 7th, 2006, that on AUGUST 8, 2006, Derek Aiken will predict the following in an article.....

1. Peyton Manning Will Throw 50 Touchdowns

2. Steven Jackson Will Finally Become an Elite Running Back

3. Andrew Walter Will Be the Starting Quarterback in Oakland

4. Larry Johnson Will Not Be a Top 3 Running Back

5. Deangelo Williams Will Be the 2006 Offensive Rookie of the Year

6. Clinton Portis Will Win the Rushing Title

7. Ronnie Brown Will Be the Breakout Player of 2006

8. Steve Smith Will Not Be a Top 10 Receiver

9. Matt Jones Won’t Live Up to the Hype

10. Heath Miller Will Have a Better Year than Tony Gonzalez

I know, I know, you are sitting there thinking, "Those are some BOLD PREDICTIONS" but I believe in my heart that they will be made public....

Edited by kryptonite

I PREDICT today, August 7th, 2006, that on AUGUST 8, 2006, Derek Aiken will predict the following in an article.....

1. Peyton Manning Will Throw 50 Touchdowns

Holy crap! The wet dreams about Manning never cease to amaze me. Don't get me wrong, he is one of the, if not THE, elite QB in the game (at least in the regular season) - but 50 TDs?!?!?

He threw 49 in 2004. You know what his previous career best was before that? 33. That's right, 33 passing TDs. His average is around 28 to 29 passing TDs a year - which he came back to last year.

2004 was the perfect storm for Manning. He played a schedule loaded with incredibly weak passing Ds, and Dungy let him have his reins, throwing up TDs well after games were won (anyone see the Direct TV commercial where TEN is down 28-3 and Manning says you ought to have the NFL package so you can switch to Eli vs Dallas instead of watching him crush TEN - then he throws another TD pass to make it 35-3?).

To expect 50 out of him - wow, get ready to wash those sheets again.

I can see this one happening and everyone who took him 1st overall doing this :D

LINK from Denver Post - Jim Armstrong in River Falls last week

"I (HC Herm Edwards) told them we're going to play a little bit different. There are going to be some situations where we're going to have to win 10-6. I'm used to playing like that. In Tampa, we might have scored 17 points in three games, but we'd win all three. I don't want to get to that, because we've got a very powerful offense. But it has to be able to help the defense."

Keeping the defense fresh

Edwards is intent on playing more of a ball-control, move-the-chains offense than the Chiefs employed under his predecessor, Dick Vermeil. For proof, we give you the Chiefs' new offensive coordinator. Instead of hiring a big-name coordinator to replace the departed Al Saunders, Edwards promoted Mike Solari, the Chiefs' offensive line coach for the past nine seasons.

The change in strategy is designed to keep the defense fresh. Or, in a perfect world, off the field.

"We have to learn to play together as an offense and a defense," Edwards said. "There are certain things you do to play together, and there are certain things you do when you're playing for stats. We're not going to play for stats. We're going to play to win games, to protect each other."

Case in point: Edwards wants to to run the ball and milk the clock when the Chiefs are leading in the fourth quarter. In years past, they would keep throwing in anticipation of the defense struggling when it got on the field.

"We're still going to try to score 30 points, but at times we're going to have to take the air out of the ball," Edwards said. "If there are four minutes left and they don't have any timeouts, we shouldn't have to throw a pass. We should be able to run the ball past the two-minute warning and then take a knee."

That smells like opportunity to me - If possible, I like Johnson even more knowing that he'll get a good numbers of 2nd half carries.