[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Holy Samole, Mike Bell!

Bronco Billy

Just heard on KOA 850 AM radio - which is the Bronco flagship here in DEN, that Mike Bell is listed as the #1 RB on the 1st depth chart of the preseason, released after the morning practice. That means M Bell will start in DET Friday night.

T Bell is listed at #2, and Dayne is listed at #3.

No link, of course.

FYI.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Denver Post link

Mike Bell starting at RB

Rookie passes Tatum Bell, Dayne on depth chart

By Bill Williamson

Denver Post Staff Writer

Ron Dayne fell Monday to No. 3 at running back on the Broncos' depth chart. (Post file)

In a stunning development, Broncos undrafted rookie free agent Mike Bell has catapulted into the starting lineup in Monday morning's practice.

Bell has leapfrogged Ron Dayne and Tatum Bell. Bell remains the No. 2 back. Dayne has fallen from No. 1 to No. 3.

Mike Bell has impressed coaches with his hard running and the way he fits the Broncos' system. The Arizona product is a Denver native and a lifelong Broncos fans.

The move doesn't necessarily mean Mike Bell will start opening day in St. Louis on Sept. 10, but it gives him the inside track. Coach Mike Shanahan said Bell will start against Detroit in the preseason opener Friday.

Meanwhile, rookie QB Jay Cutler has replaced Bradlee Van Pelt as the No. 2 quarterback. Shanahan said Cutler will come in after Jake Plummer's start Friday against the Lions.

Cutler also making moves up the depth chart.

who ever wrote in another thread that no DEN RB should be taken in the first 5 or 6 rounds is spot on. You can not rely on Skelator to tip his hand, and therefore can not trust any DEN RB more than a RB3 on a roster. It's too bad with that "great" OL and erratic QB....

Could you name a time when it wasn't, other than the fiasco in 2001 when TD was trying to come back from his knee injury?

Well, although it wasn't 'depth chart' per se, how long ago was it they listed 17 players questionable one week, including Shannon Sharpe for his larynx? 2002? 2003?

Well, I'll ask again when Shanahan has been dishonest about the depth chart with RBs before.

Don't get me wrong, he'll screw with everyone's head - including the league, which he has been penalized for - regarding injuries. But the depth chart when all RBs are healthy? Give me one - just one - example.

who ever wrote in another thread that no DEN RB should be taken in the first 5 or 6 rounds is spot on. You can not rely on Skelator to tip his hand, and therefore can not trust any DEN RB more than a RB3 on a roster. It's too bad with that "great" OL and erratic QB....

:D

Ron Dayne and Mike Bell have been the most impressive backs in Denver camp. Tatum got off to a slow start; and the coaches have told the backs they are allowed one cut, since then Tatum has been better. Mike Bell is a North and South runner, often looking for a defender to hit and run over. Dayne can be both brutal and finesse and catch. Bell has been catching the ball in camp, but was running east/west -- which Denver coaches do not want.

Just picked him up off waivers in my dynasty. I though this would happen next yr not now. :D

Well you're supposed to act like you knew, and you know play the I am a genius card and give everyone in the league a big fat :D

I just hope that Tatum Bell is picked before Ron Dayne in my league -- Dayne should be a more reliable back (at least more of Shannahan's style). I would like to get Dayne in the 6th or 7th. I just don't see Plummer throwing for more than 33% of Denver's total TD's. Maybe if they still had Shannon Sharpe.

Well, I'll ask again when Shanahan has been dishonest about the depth chart with RBs before.

Don't get me wrong, he'll screw with everyone's head - including the league, which he has been penalized for - regarding injuries. But the depth chart when all RBs are healthy? Give me one - just one - example.

That's just it, he's never honest with injuries so you never know how accurate his depth chart can be during the regular season. Sure, when everyone's healthy it's accurate but once injuries start to creep in he's as bad as Belichick.

That's just it, he's never honest with injuries so you never know how accurate his depth chart can be during the regular season. Sure, when everyone's healthy it's accurate but once injuries start to creep in he's as bad as Belichick.

I believe he listed 23 or so injuries once because the NFL complained about a prior injury.

Although it is true to be careful about trusting Shanny when it comes to injuries, I learned last year that whoever is listed as the #1 after a couple of preseason games, will remain the #1 going into the regular season. Therefore, if M. Bell stays atop the depth chart for a couple of weeks, you can bet he ends up as the #1.

I love your quote from Sweetness. Emmit Smith & Hank Aaron are good examples of broken but not really broken records.