[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Holy Samole, Mike Bell!

Bronco Billy

Broncos RB Bell upset about depth chart

Bill Williamson

8/9/2006

Tatum Bell believes he has been pigeonholed, but the Broncos running back is determined not to allow Monday's stunning promotion of undrafted rookie Mike Bell to deter him.

"The coaching staff thinks I'm just a 10-, 15-carry back," Tatum Bell said Tuesday. "I don't know if they think I can be anything more. ... I don't think they trust me. I've been doing everything I can in this camp to earn that trust and I will continue to do so."

He went into training camp No. 2 behind Ron Dayne on the depth chart. But coach Mike Shanahan has moved Mike Bell to No. 1 and named him the starter for Friday night's preseason opener at Detroit. Tatum Bell, a second-round pick in 2004, remains No. 2. Dayne slid to No. 3.

General manager Ted Sundquist

disagreed with Tatum Bell's interpretation of the situation.

"I don't think it is a case of we don't trust Tatum," Sundquist said. "We like Tatum. We wouldn't have invested a second-round pick in him if we didn't think he fit our system or would work well in what we do. ... This thing is far from over."

Tatum Bell said his biggest battle will be trying to prove he can contribute as the primary back. He has been used mostly as a change-of-pace back.

"I want to be that 25-carry guy," he said. "I guess it's my job to go out and prove it. ... I was hurt by this, but I'm not a crybaby. I'll go out and fight and try to change their minds. But I also see what they see in Mike Bell. He's running hard. I'm not taking anything away from him. But it's my job to push him."

Before the comments by Tatum Bell, Shanahan said he is having a strong camp and there will be a place in the Broncos' offense for the player who had 921 yards and eight touchdowns on 173 carries last season in 15 games.

"Tatum is working very hard," Shanahan said.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a point that nobody has mentioned so far is this: M.Bell is listed as the starter for a pre-season game. The Cowboys may hold Bledsoe out for the first week. ATL said that Crumpler won't play at all this pre-season. Point is, it's pre-season. And pre-season depth charts change. Mike has been the surprise of camp. Dayne and Tantrum haven't surprised; the coaches no exactly what they have. And the only way you can evaluate how a running back will perform with the first unit, is to put him out there with the first unit. If he plays well, he might get to keep the job. If he stinks up the joint he might get cut, who knows, because Shanny knows he can make it work with the combo of Dayne and Tantrum(similar to last year with Tantrum and Anderson). But the only may Shanny can evaluate a guy correctly is to get him out there running behind the starting o-line and see how he does.

I think a point that nobody has mentioned so far is this: M.Bell is listed as the starter for a pre-season game. The Cowboys may hold Bledsoe out for the first week. ATL said that Crumpler won't play at all this pre-season. Point is, it's pre-season. And pre-season depth charts change. Mike has been the surprise of camp. Dayne and Tantrum haven't surprised; the coaches no exactly what they have. And the only way you can evaluate how a running back will perform with the first unit, is to put him out there with the first unit. If he plays well, he might get to keep the job. If he stinks up the joint he might get cut, who knows, because Shanny knows he can make it work with the combo of Dayne and Tantrum(similar to last year with Tantrum and Anderson). But the only may Shanny can evaluate a guy correctly is to get him out there running behind the starting o-line and see how he does.

That's a greast evaluation of what exactly is going on here. Shanahan is typically loyal to the extreme with his vets (provided they don't turn on him, aka Clinton Portis, Ashley Lelie, etc), so for M Bell to even be getting a shot at the #1 RB position with everyone healthy, it means that Bell has not been performing at a level at or near Dayne & T Bell, he's been blowing them away in practice. So naming M Bell as the #1 RB means that he starts with the DEN 1st team O & against 1st team D units from other teams. It's the next step on the natural progression - see if he can repeat what he has shown in practice so far when the competition is more fierce and more of a regular season game setting than training camp.

What it does mean is that it is essentially M Bell's job to lose. If he plays in preaseason games like he has in practice, and shows that there is a gap between the performance that the Broncos can expect from him as opposed to what Shanahan already knows he has from regular season games in the past season from Dayne & the past 2 seasons from T Bell, M Bell will keep the #1 RB job and open the season there. If M Bell's performance drops off in the next preseason game or two, and he sinks to the same level as Dayne or worse, I would expect Dayne to be vaulted back up to the #1 RB and split carries with T Bell.

T Bell is pretty much locked into the #2 RB slot no matter what - provided he doesn't keep running his mouth - based upon what Shanahan has seen for 2 regular seasons as a very talented RB who is extremely inconsistent, has a very small gas tank, and will not block. If M Bell wins the #1 spot, there's no way to tell how many touches T Bell will get, since M Bell has shown some decent hands and a strong willingness to block (he's already on record as saying that he knows his #1 priority as a RB is to keep the QB healthy - that's music to DEN coaches' ears).

For being "meaningless" games, the next 2 preseason games are very important in regard to deciding who will be the #1 RB going into week 1. In Preseason week 3, Shanahan plays the starters for at least a half, and whomever is running as #1 RB then will probably have a 95+% chance of being the week 1 RB, and in Preseason week 4 Shanahan plays his starters very, very little if all (starters not playing a down in Preseason week 4 is the norm). By Preseason week 3, we'll know who the #1 RB in DEN is, and once that's set, that player is very hard to dislodge during the regulqar season - barring injury, of course. Actually, Preseason week 4 tells us more about who is not going to get starting reps and how much regular season work they can expect, which can be very informative also.

That's a greast evaluation of what exactly is going on here. Shanahan is typically loyal to the extreme with his vets (provided they don't turn on him, aka Clinton Portis, Ashley Lelie, etc), so for M Bell to even be getting a shot at the #1 RB position with everyone healthy, it means that Bell has not been performing at a level at or near Dayne & T Bell, he's been blowing them away in practice. So naming M Bell as the #1 RB means that he starts with the DEN 1st team O & against 1st team D units from other teams. It's the next step on the natural progression - see if he can repeat what he has shown in practice so far when the competition is more fierce and more of a regular season game setting than training camp.

What it does mean is that it is essentially M Bell's job to lose. If he plays in preaseason games like he has in practice, and shows that there is a gap between the performance that the Broncos can expect from him as opposed to what Shanahan already knows he has from regular season games in the past season from Dayne & the past 2 seasons from T Bell, M Bell will keep the #1 RB job and open the season there. If M Bell's performance drops off in the next preseason game or two, and he sinks to the same level as Dayne or worse, I would expect Dayne to be vaulted back up to the #1 RB and split carries with T Bell.

T Bell is pretty much locked into the #2 RB slot no matter what - provided he doesn't keep running his mouth - based upon what Shanahan has seen for 2 regular seasons as a very talented RB who is extremely inconsistent, has a very small gas tank, and will not block. If M Bell wins the #1 spot, there's no way to tell how many touches T Bell will get, since M Bell has shown some decent hands and a strong willingness to block (he's already on record as saying that he knows his #1 priority as a RB is to keep the QB healthy - that's music to DEN coaches' ears).

For being "meaningless" games, the next 2 preseason games are very important in regard to deciding who will be the #1 RB going into week 1. In Preseason week 3, Shanahan plays the starters for at least a half, and whomever is running as #1 RB then will probably have a 95+% chance of being the week 1 RB, and in Preseason week 4 Shanahan plays his starters very, very little if all (starters not playing a down in Preseason week 4 is the norm). By Preseason week 3, we'll know who the #1 RB in DEN is, and once that's set, that player is very hard to dislodge during the regulqar season - barring injury, of course. Actually, Preseason week 4 tells us more about who is not going to get starting reps and how much regular season work they can expect, which can be very informative also.

Exactly. I remember hearing that Terell Davis was named the starter his rookie year. Everyone in my locals still drafted Rod Bernstein(I think it was) in like the 3rd or 4th rounds. But Shanny knew what he had with him, but saw something differnet/better out of TD and went with that. But he saw it by playing TD in pre season games.

Exactly. I remember hearing that Terell Davis was named the starter his rookie year. Everyone in my locals still drafted Rod Bernstein(I think it was) in like the 3rd or 4th rounds. But Shanny knew what he had with him, but saw something differnet/better out of TD and went with that. But he saw it by playing TD in pre season games.

If Mike Bell turns out even near T.Davis form I would be thrilled. I traded Ron Dayne away for a next year 7th round draft pick in a 12-team 6-player keeper league. I picked up Mike Bell with my free roster spot and a day later he is named starter over Ron Dayne! :D

link

Mike Bell

Height: 6-0

Weight: 222

40 Speed: 4.63* Position: Running Back

College: Arizona

SUMMARY

Bell was a fun player to grade because he has the foot quickness, agility and burst to make things happen when plays break down. With his size and natural strength, he has the ability to be a punishing inside runner who can break tackles, punish tacklers and gain yards after contact. But he is not nearly as good a runner between the tackles as he is outside. On the 'Hoof' he looks like a big back, but he has the athleticism and running skills of a small back. He is a dangerous runner on outside runs because he can run over defensive backs, can make the sharp cut-back and burst through the hole or can shake and make a tackler miss out on the edge. Once he gets into the open field he tends to raise his level of aggressiveness, will lower his shoulder more consistently and deliver punishment to tacklers. The trouble is that he is somewhat one dimensional in that he has not been a big time receiver and is an inconsistent pass blocker, so he is primarily effective when he carries the ball. Overall, Bell has the physical tools to be a very good starting running back in the NFL, but in order to become the player he is capable of he is going to need to play more aggressively on every snap. He will end up being a good starter who struggles to stay healthy for an entire season and will have to come out of games in clear passing situations because of his pass blocking ability.

STRONG POINTS

Bell is a very good athlete with the quick feet, burst and agility that is rare in backs over 6-foot and 200 pounds. When he runs aggressively, his size and strength enable him to consistently take hard hits, keep his feet and gains yards after contact. He has the quick feet and burst to bounce runs outside when the middle is clogged and can make the sharp one-foot plant and cut on outside runs and bursts through the hole. He has very good vision and instincts to find the correct hole and his quickness and burst enable him to consistently zip through it once he finds it. He is a patient runner who follows his blockers well and cuts off their hip quickly.

WEAKNESSES

Bell looks smaller than his measured size and does not consistently run aggressively. At times he runs upright, takes a lot of hard hits and punishment. He does not pick up his feet consistently in traffic and it leads to him getting tripped up by low, grab tackles too often for such a big back. He is not a polished receiver and does not do a good job in pass protection. Despite having the size, strength and athleticism, he has not proven himself to be able to handle the full workload of 25-plus carries over a full season without getting too dinged up. Bell is quicker than fast and lacks the top level playing speed to be a long play threat.

link

Mike Bell

Position: RB

Class: Sr

School: Arizona

Conference: Pacific-10

Ht., Wt.: 6-0.5, 221

40 Time: 4.63

BIO: Three-year starter and previous All-Conference selection who totaled 200/952/5 on the ground last year, adding 18/197 as a receiver. Junior rushing totals included 204/950/5.

POSITIVES: Hard-running interior back who picks up the tough yards. Sees the field, consistently finds the running lanes and runs with an aggressive style. Plays with outstanding balance and body control. Slides off defenders or drives up the field on contact. Flashes a burst of speed through the hole. Solid pass receiver out of the backfield.

NEGATIVES: Must pick up the intensity blocking. Does not beat defenders around the corner. Though sized well does not present himself as a heavy-duty back on the inside.

ANALYSIS: Consistent in college, Bell offers potential as a rotational/third back in the NFL.

PROJECTION: Mid Fourth Round

link

Ht: 6-1 Wt: 218

Position: HB

Date of Birth: 4/23/1983

Class: RS - Senior

High School: Tolleson Union HS

(Tolleson, AZ)

College: Arizona

2006 Scout.com NFL Draft Rankings (full list):

Pos: RB Pos Rank: #13

Biography:

Bell rushed for 920 yards as a sophomore and added another 950 yards last season. He has a penchant for breaking off big runs and has had a few monster running games.

Bell’s greatest asset is his quickness. He is an extremely shifty runner who can make people miss. He has nice speed in the open field, but it is going side to side and changing direction that makes him so tough.

“Mike can make someone miss in a phone booth,” said RB coach Kasey Dunn. “That guy has incredible wiggle.”

Edited by Bronco Billy

:D

link

Originally posted by Bronco Billy posted 05-12-2006 04:08 PM :

Well, officially off-the-board with Bell first and now Moore.

I really liked both of these guys before the NFL draft, and figured both would go in the 4th-6th rounds - especially with the RBs available in this draft.

Then both guys each go as UDFAs to teams where I would think their skills sets would be ideal and where the RBs situations could be considered vulnerable. I also know that the Jets just beat out Shanahan for signing Moore.

Bell is a bigger RB who runs well between the tackles & runs very well off the edge, can handle & initiate contact, but isn't the best reciever in the world - but Shanahan doesn't require his RBs to be great catchers.

Moore lands in NY behind a aging & finally getting injured CuMar. He catches well out of the backfield & is an aggressive runner, and size-wise is almost a CuMar clone. The kid is smart as hell, and is a good blocker. He had a bad knee injury, but still bounced back & gained 1600 yds running & catching coming back from his injury on a really bad New Mexico team. The guy was a yardage monster before he got hurt - he seemed unstoppable at times.

I just can't pass on these guys. The NFL drafted just 14 RBs this draft - and half of them smurfs - while drafting 4,000 DBs. Here's to hoping that at least one of two will pan out & be the next heart-warming UDFA who became a starter story.