[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why is Culpepper a popular bust pick?

FishFreak

I'm not sure why Culpepper is a popular bust pick this year. If anything he has enormous upside and can be drafted in the 6th and 7th rounds. If he's available later than that, you almost have to pick him and take a worthwhile risk. Anyone with as much upside he has being drafted late can't be considered a bust. It's those 1st and 2nd round stinkers that are hard to recover from. He won't go that high unless he starts lighting it up in preseason and the knee looks healthy.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

Let me see

1) He was falling apart last year before his injury demonstrating that a large part of his success was due to the presence of Randy Moss

2) He blew out not one, not two but all three ligaments in his knee.

3) Given that he apparently can't throw the ball and has survived on his legs I'd say both of the above combine for a double whammy.

Lastly, he is on a new team this year ... which may or may not be negative but is certainly another variable to consider.

Somebody will draft Culpepper too high because they are looking in the rear view mirror at his 2004 season.

Let me see

1) He was falling apart last year before his injury demonstrating that a large part of his success was due to the presence of Randy Moss

3) Given that he apparently can't throw the ball and has survived on his legs I'd say both of the above combine for a double whammy.

Lastly, he is on a new team this year ... which may or may not be negative but is certainly another variable to consider.

And his success is predicated on mobility. Something he probably has less of 8 mos after major reconstructive knee surgery.

Let me see

Somebody will draft Culpepper too high because they are looking in the rear view mirror at his 2004 season.

I may be an optimist and a Fish fan, but I have to throw last year out. He was distracted with the cruise crap and just had an off year. All years prior are pretty much strong fantasy seasons.

As for his knee, it's a major concern but he's recovering nicely and all reports have been positive...thus far.

Culpepper has put up solid passing numbers in the past and has a solid supporting cast in Miami (Chambers, McMichael and Brown).

He will also be highly motivated. Culpepper was an MVP candidate in 04 and the Vikings seemed to have given up on him after the cruise incident and contract talks. Nick Saban will also get the most out of him and cut down on his turnovers. I'm so glad everyone seems to be down on him. I'll gladly snatch him up late. :D

Just to throw a bit more gasoline on the fire, his OC Scott Linehan was with him during his good years in MIN and then left for MIA in 2005 where he made Gus Frerotte look good and Chambers resemble a super star. Now Linehan is gone to STL. The three biggest success factors for Culpepper have been 1.) An offense directed by Linehan; 2.) Randy Moss and 3.) mobility in the pocket.

He has none of the three this year.

And his success is predicated on mobility. Something he probably has less of 8 mos after major reconstructive knee surgery.

True but his passing numbers alone are very under rated. His rushing stats just happen to boost him into elite QB status. I'm not saying he'll return to being a top 3 QB again this year, but top 10 is likely and top 5 is possible.

True but his passing numbers alone are very under rated. His rushing stats just happen to boost him into elite QB status. I'm not saying he'll return to being a top 3 QB again this year, but top 10 is likely and top 5 is possible.

You're missing something here imo, his passing numbers were good because of his mobility. He could scramble and pass, not only scramble and run. If he loses that, his success will suffer. And please never, ever, ever compare Chris Chambers to Randy Moss. :D

The better question is why the heck is Todd Pinkston a bust pick? Who expects this guy to do anything this year? After I saw that, I was looking for Freddy "Id Like to thank my hands" Mitchell as a bust pick. It's just about the same caliber of player and they will probably put up the same numbers even though Freddy won't play for a team in 2006.

Edited by Primetime9287

Just to throw a bit more gasoline on the fire, his OC Scott Linehan was with him during his good years in MIN and then left for MIA in 2005 where he made Gus Frerotte look good and Chambers resemble a super star. Now Linehan is gone to STL. The three biggest success factors for Culpepper have been 1.) An offense directed by Linehan; 2.) Randy Moss and 3.) mobility in the pocket.

He has none of the three this year.

The link to Linehan is disturbing but consider this:

1) Frerotte didn't look that good last year and Culpepper is a big upgrade

2) Chambers has always been on the cusp of breaking out and has always scored a lot of touchdowns

3) Every succesful QB is linked to stud receivers (Palmer to Johnson, Manning to Harrison & Wayne, etc.)

4) While his mobility might be restricted this year, he will still post solid rushing totals for a QB which is gravy in fantasy.

1) Frerotte didn't look that good last year and Culpepper is a big upgrade Agree 100%

2) Chambers has always been on the cusp of breaking out and has always scored a lot of touchdowns Meh, he makes some nice catches, but has been wickedly inconsistent. and 3 TD's in '02 and 7 TD's in '01 and '04 wouldn't be considered "a lot"

3) Every succesful QB is linked to stud receivers (Palmer to Johnson, Manning to Harrison & Wayne, etc.) Two words for you: Drew Brees

4) While his mobility might be restricted this year, he will still post solid rushing totals for a QB which is gravy in fantasy. Disagree 100%. He's not going to rush and risk blowing out his surgically repaired knee any more than he has to. He'll turn into a pocket QB

4) While his mobility might be restricted this year, he will still post solid rushing totals for a QB

I hope there is at least one of you in every league I play in this season.

I may be an optimist and a Fish fan, but I have to throw last year out. He was distracted with the cruise crap and just had an off year. All years prior are pretty much strong fantasy seasons.

The cruise scandal came during the bye week. Culpepper was horrible before that even came up. Remember last pre-season? Culpepper was looking like the greatest QB in the history of history... his Trainign Camp was amazing and his pre-season games were flawless. When the regular season hit, his confidence went out the window and he never regained his composure. You can dismiss that if you want, but more than any other factor that should concern potential fantasy owners.

It sounds to me like you are a blind homer just looking for any way to justify your optimistic outlook for Miami. That's fine as a fan in the NFL, but it doesn't work out too well as an owner in Fantasy Football. You need to be a lot more objective than that.

You're missing something here imo, his passing numbers were good because of his mobility. He could scramble and pass, not only scramble and run. If he loses that, his success will suffer. And please never, ever, ever compare Chris Chambers to Randy Moss. :D

Culpepper can throw from the pocket just fine. On top of that it's foolish to think he'll lose his mobility. If anything he will just run less, pass more and avoid contact if possible on his knee. His mobility will be just fine. It's not like the guy is going to be in a wheelchair out there.

As far as Chambers to Moss, I'm not comparing the two just the Viking and Dolphin supporting cast. If anything the Fish have a little better supporting cast this year than the Viking teams Culpepper was lighting it up with.

1) Frerotte didn't look that good last year and Culpepper is a big upgrade

2) Chambers has always been on the cusp of breaking out and has always scored a lot of touchdowns

3) Every succesful QB is linked to stud receivers (Palmer to Johnson, Manning to Harrison & Wayne, etc.)

4) While his mobility might be restricted this year, he will still post solid rushing totals for a QB which is gravy in fantasy.

1. Frerotte did look good in that he had a career best season after 13 years in the league which included five years as a starter. He had ten scores in his final eight games last year.

2. Chambers is a solid possession receiver and typically the only viable wideout option in MIA every year. He still only had 1118 yards last year and that was with a 238 yard effort in week 13. Other than that one game, his performance last year was in line with every other year in MIA. His TD totals were where he was best with 11 but he had that in 2003 as well. It remains to be seen what OC Mike Mularkey will do with him. Chambers only has the one 1000 yard season last year. He is solid no doubt and like Hines Ward, he has been pretty good with TD's but other than his one freak game last year he's just been a solid possession receiver his entire career.

3. A top wideout does help his QB to be sure, but it is a chemistry thing. What did those wideouts do in their first year with their QB, disregarding that Culpepper had torn three ligaments and is on a new team with a new offense to learn.

4. How can he post solid rushing totals if his mobility is restricted? If he opens himself up for getting hit downfield, that only increases the changes of a re-injury.

It will be interesting to see what CPep does this year. He has nothing that could be considered a crutch so it will be all him (long as his knee holds up). He is talented, but it is just a tall order to expect that much given all the situations this year.

As far as Chambers to Moss, I'm not comparing the two just the Viking and Dolphin supporting cast. If anything the Fish have a little better supporting cast this year than the Viking teams Culpepper was lighting it up with.

Right. Chambers and Booker and Brown are better than Moss, Cris Carter and Robert Smith. :D

Sure I'm a biased Miami fan but you guys are missing a very big point. Culpepper can be had late in most drafts and right now he's usually anywhere from the 7-10th QB taken off the board. That is a potentially great value pick that won't kill your team in a year when the QB position is deep as hell. If he stinks like last year or re-injures his knee you can always find a quality QB back-up. He's well worth taking the risk on.

Sure I'm a biased Miami fan but you guys are missing a very big point. Culpepper can be had late in most drafts and right now he's usually anywhere from the 7-10th QB taken off the board. That is a potentially great value pick that won't kill your team in a year when the QB position is deep as hell. If he stinks like last year or re-injures his knee you can always find a quality QB back-up. He's well worth taking the risk on.

With all of the question marks surrounding his return, the prudent owner will take someone else as their #1 QB (usually the highest scoring position on your roster). Culpepper makes a very interesting #2 QB for sure because of his potential when healthy, but I'm not going to risk my season on him overcoming everything that is going against him right now.

It sounds to me like you are a blind homer just looking for any way to justify your optimistic outlook for Miami. That's fine as a fan in the NFL, but it doesn't work out too well as an owner in Fantasy Football. You need to be a lot more objective than that.

Bingo

1) Frerotte didn't look that good last year and Culpepper is a big upgrade Agree 100% - I'm glad we agree

2) Chambers has always been on the cusp of breaking out and has always scored a lot of touchdowns Meh, he makes some nice catches, but has been wickedly inconsistent. and 3 TD's in '02 and 7 TD's in '01 and '04 wouldn't be considered "a lot" - Actually, Chambers has scored 29 TD's in the last three seasons including 11 in 2003 and 2005. That is "a lot" for WR's. Outside of the top 5 WR studs, who's doing that?

3) Every succesful QB is linked to stud receivers (Palmer to Johnson, Manning to Harrison & Wayne, etc.) Two words for you: Drew Brees - There is always an exception like Brady, but Brees was throwing to Antonio Gates! Nuff said

4) While his mobility might be restricted this year, he will still post solid rushing totals for a QB which is gravy in fantasy. Disagree 100%. He's not going to rush and risk blowing out his surgically repaired knee any more than he has to. He'll turn into a pocket QB - He's a football player not a girl. He'll continue to use his legs, just not as much as in the past. He'll continue to be a mobile QB.