[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why is Culpepper a popular bust pick?

FishFreak

The link to Linehan is disturbing but consider this:

3) Every succesful QB is linked to stud receivers (Palmer to Johnson, Manning to Harrison & Wayne, etc.) Two words for you: Drew Brees - There is always an exception like Brady, but Brees was throwing to Antonio Gates! Nuff said

[/b]

Not enough said...Hasselbeck, Green and Favre (other than Javon Walker for a year) have hardly had what you'd call a stud.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds to me like you are a blind homer just looking for any way to justify your optimistic outlook for Miami. That's fine as a fan in the NFL, but it doesn't work out too well as an owner in Fantasy Football. You need to be a lot more objective than that.

DING! DING! DING!

Sure I'm a biased Miami fan but you guys are missing a very big point. Culpepper can be had late in most drafts and right now he's usually anywhere from the 7-10th QB taken off the board. That is a potentially great value pick that won't kill your team in a year when the QB position is deep as hell. If he stinks like last year or re-injures his knee you can always find a quality QB back-up. He's well worth taking the risk on.

Maybe as a backup, but there's no way in hell that I'd draft him as a starter. As was mentioned earlier, he absolutely sucked without Moss and Linehan. I mean, he made Brad Johnson look like Tom Brady. And a QB whose success has been so heavily-dependent upon scrambling is going to take a huge hit in productivity being less than a year removed from tearing the trifecta of knee ligaments.

I'll tell you what, if Daunte is still available in the 10th round of my draft on Sunday, I'll gladly pick him up as my backup. That's about where he should go.

Daunte Culpepper vs Dolphin QB's since 2000

Completion %

CPepp = 64.4

Dolphins QB's = 56.4

Passing YPG

CPepp = 252.00

Dolphin QB's = 197.6

TD-INT

CPepp = 135-86

Dolphin QB's = 111-112

Passer Rating

CPepp = 91.5

Dolphin QB's = 72.8

CPepp has the highest career comp. pct. in NFL History. (minimum 2500 att.)

A HUGH upgrade for the Dolphins AND he has a very good supporting cast.

Did he ever have anyone as good as Ronnie Brown to hand the ball off to in Minnesota?

Did he ever have a TE as good as McMichael in Minnesota?

Edited by Fantasy Jesus

Right. Chambers and Booker and Brown are better than Moss, Cris Carter and Robert Smith. :D

Not to add fuel to the fire...but Carter and Smith were gone in 04' when he posted his best stats. Randy Moss wasn't even the leading receiver on that team that year.

I still think Culpepper will be average at best though. :D

Edited by Def.

Sure I'm a biased Miami fan but you guys are missing a very big point. Culpepper can be had late in most drafts and right now he's usually anywhere from the 7-10th QB taken off the board. That is a potentially great value pick that won't kill your team in a year when the QB position is deep as hell. If he stinks like last year or re-injures his knee you can always find a quality QB back-up. He's well worth taking the risk on.

:D

You are cracking me up this morning.

There is absolutely NO WAY anybody should draft Culpepper to be their starting QB, period. There are way too many negatives and unknowns surrounding his NFL career right now. Personally I'm not really that interested in taking a flyer on him as a backup to my starting QB but can certainly understand those that might choose to do that.

I will wager you right now that Culpepper will not finish in the top 10 of QBs this year meaning he will NOT be a "great value pick" in the middle rounds. And I don't know what league YOU play in ... but "you can always find a quality QB back-up" if he gets hurt doesn't apply to ANY of the leagues I am in.

So if you are willing to bet let's bet next year's membership fees:

Culpepper finishes in the top 10 of QBs using fairly standard performance scoring from THIS LEAUGE I pay your 2007 Huddle membership fee. If he finishes out of the top 10 you may my membership fee.

No injury clause.

Edited by Grits and Shins

Culpepper finishes in the top 10 of QBs using fairly standard performance scoring from THIS LEAUGE I pay your 2007 Huddle membership fee. If he finishes out of the top 10 you may my membership fee.

Sniffs bait and swims away but that sure is tempting.

If Fishfreak declines the bet I might be interseted although my record here with Huddle bets might be the worst in the history of the Huddle.

There is absolutely NO WAY anybody should draft Culpepper to be their starting QB, period. There are way too many negatives and unknowns surrounding his NFL career right now. Personally I'm not really that interested in taking a flyer on him as a backup to my starting QB but can certainly understand those that might choose to do that.

I will wager you right now that Culpepper will not finish in the top 10 of QBs this year meaning he will NOT be a "great value pick" in the middle rounds. And I don't know what league YOU play in ... but "you can always find a quality QB back-up" if he gets hurt doesn't apply to ANY of the leagues I am in.

I'll take that bet.

These words shoud scare the hell out of Fins fans and anyone with a Fin on their fantasy team:

OC Mike Mularkey

He absolutely had no idea how to use his ONLY viable weapon last year, McGahee. No clue. Worries me re: Ronnie Brown. Hope Saban keeps Mularkey in a cage on gameday.

OC Mike Mularkey

He absolutely had no idea how to use his ONLY viable weapon last year, McGahee. No clue. Worries me re: Ronnie Brown. Hope Saban keeps Mularkey in a cage on gameday.

So the fact that the Bills had JP Losman as a QB and a terrible Oline doesn't factor into this?

Mularkey seemd to run the ball just fine when he was the offensive coordinator with the Steelers.

So the fact that the Bills had JP Losman as a QB and a terrible Oline doesn't factor into this?

Mularkey seemd to run the ball just fine when he was the offensive coordinator with the Steelers.

the sh*tty qb and line absolutely factored in...as did mularkey's idiotic penchant for calling three straight pass plays on 1st and goal from the three. brutal.

Considering the points raised earlier, if he's the 7th to 10th QB off the board, that makes him a fantasy starter for someone, and a risky one at that. I don't want to be that owner. I like him only as a backup to a top tier QB with a late bye. His upside will only be realized in the latter half of the season IMO. I see him struggling early because of the knee and the new surroundings and would not want to rely on him at that point.

I can't possibly back down from that bet. You're on! The Fish will go as far as he takes us. Just to clarify my point of finding a quality back-up pretty easily assuming a 12 team league:

The top 12 QB's (according to the huddle) are:

Manning- Stud

Brady- lost Givens and Branch is unhappy

Palmer (Even more of a health risk than Culpepper)

E. Manning- Has the weapons but stunk in the 2nd half last year

Hasselback- solid performer

Bledsoe- should be much better with TO

Bulger- injury prone

McNabb- No TO

Brooks- Shaky

Plummer- Shaky

Green- Getting old

Warner- Injury prone

If Culpepper stumbles there are several back-up options that could easily out-perform the bottom half of the so-called "top 12":

Vick

Culpepper

Delhomme

Favre

Leftwich

McNair

Roethilesberger

Brees

*Usually 1-2 QB's that come out of no where

You don't need a stud QB to win championships especially if you can land a sleeper late. The QB position is deep with a lot of parity. Outside of Manning, QB2-20 aren't that far apart. And that makes drafting Culpepper a small risk. :D

I can't possibly back down from that bet. You're on! The Fish will go as far as he takes us. Just to clarify my point of finding a quality back-up pretty easily assuming a 12 team league:

The top 12 QB's (according to the huddle) are:

Manning- Stud

Brady- lost Givens and Branch is unhappy

Palmer (Even more of a health risk than Culpepper)

E. Manning- Has the weapons but stunk in the 2nd half last year

Hasselback- solid performer

Bledsoe- should be much better with TO

Bulger- injury prone

McNabb- No TO

Brooks- Shaky

Plummer- Shaky

Green- Getting old

Warner- Injury prone

If Culpepper stumbles there are several back-up options that could easily out-perform the bottom half of the so-called "top 12":

Vick

Culpepper

Delhomme

Favre

Leftwich

McNair

Roethilesberger

Brees

*Usually 1-2 QB's that come out of no where

You don't need a stud QB to win championships especially if you can land a sleeper late. The QB position is deep with a lot of parity. Outside of Manning, QB2-20 aren't that far apart. And that makes drafting Culpepper a small risk. :D

You are on ... no injury clause. Part of the reason I believe DC won't be a top 10 QB is because of how soon he intends to return.

And None of those QBs you have listed will be available in any of my leagues after the draft ... so again I don't know what league you are playing in where you expect all of them to be available.

Did he ever have anyone as good as Ronnie Brown to hand the ball off to in Minnesota?

I would say that Robert Smith was as good of an option if not a better option than Brown. In 5 years that may change, but as of right now, I would say it holds water.

And not to rain on your parade, but 600 yards and 3 or 4 TD's doesn't put McMichael in stud status. Wiggins, by no means a top TE, had 705 yards and 4 TD's in '04, so I guess I'd have to answer your question with a "yes".

You are on ... no injury clause. Part of the reason I believe DC won't be a top 10 QB is because of how soon he intends to return.

And None of those QBs you have listed will be available in any of my leagues after the draft ... so again I don't know what league you are playing in where you expect all of them to be available.

I didn't say anything about those QB's being available after the draft. I said back-ups. I'm assuming you do draft two QB's so many of those guys give or take will be available in later rounds. Like I said, Culpepper is a worthwhile risk if you get him late because you can still get a decent back-up with this years deep QB field. And please stop acting like you play in some super high powered league and I'm some clown in an abc league with no clue. I'm simply trying to make a point. You're more than welcome to disagree.

Daunte Culpepper vs Dolphin QB's since 2000

Completion %

CPepp = 64.4

Dolphins QB's = 56.4

Mularkey QBs = 58%

Passing YPG

CPepp = 252.00

Dolphin QB's = 197.6

Mularkey QBs = 206.3

TD-INT

CPepp = 135-86

Dolphin QB's = 111-112

Mularkey QBs = 100-84

2003 - Vikes ranked 4th in rush yards, 6th in YPC

2002 - Vikes ranked 1rst in rush yards, 1rst in YPC, 2nd in rush TD

Michael bennett did run for 1300 yards before and Moe Williams had scored up to 11 TDs in a year

MIN used RBBC, so individual runners were not huge. Not that I don't like Brown (I do) but he only had 907 yards last year and a 4.4 YPC. Not sure how Brown is a bigger boost to CPep than what his ground game gave him in MIN.

Mularkey QBs = 203 yards highest ever. He has never used them much. In PIT, TE's never had more than 2 TDs per season combined. Just not his style.

Long as we are playing with numbers...

Culpepper with OC Linehan and WR Randy Moss (Per GM Avg)

22 of 34 (65%) for 262 yards, 1.8 TD and 1 Int, 6 runs for 31 yards and 0.4 rush TD

Culpepper without OC Linehan or WR Randy Moss (Per Gm Avg)

20 of 31 for 223 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 3 runs for 21 yards and 0 rushing TD

Culpepper with OC Linehan and WR Randy Moss (Per Year Avg)

336 of 518 for 4018 yards, 27 TD and 15 Int, 89 runs for 406 yards and 5 rushing TDs

Extrapolating 7 games into 16

338 of 525 for 3789 yards, 17 TD and 29 Int, 56 runs for 359 yards and 2 rushing TDs

Of course Culpepper has a bum knee, is no lock to play week one and has a whole new team, scheme and set of receivers to consider this year, so it is not a 1:1 comparison with last year during his 7th season with the Vikings.

Intriguing debate - I must say that Fishfreak has held his own on several points that I thought he'd get killed on.

IMO (and in many others' as well, apparently), C-Pep's effectiveness relies almost entirely on his mobility. That said, I'd like to grab him as a POTENTIAL starter for my squad this year (I'm not huge on drafting QBs early, unless I can get one of the surefire studs - which don't seem to really exist this year). I'll grab C-Pep and one of the other lesser QBs with upside (e.g. Kitna, Leftwich, Warner, etc.) and bank on the fact that one of them will be a passable fantasy QB. I'd rather load up on stronger options at RB/WR than spend an early-midrounder on a shaky QB.

I didn't say anything about those QB's being available after the draft. I said back-ups. I'm assuming you do draft two QB's so many of those guys give or take will be available in later rounds. Like I said, Culpepper is a worthwhile risk if you get him late because you can still get a decent back-up with this years deep QB field. And please stop acting like you play in some super high powered league and I'm some clown in an abc league with no clue. I'm simply trying to make a point. You're more than welcome to disagree.

word of advice - ignore all patronizing sarcasm directed at you from Grits (you'll save yourself some time if you do).

Intriguing debate - I must say that Fishfreak has held his own on several points that I thought he'd get killed on.

IMO (and in many others' as well, apparently), C-Pep's effectiveness relies almost entirely on his mobility. That said, I'd like to grab him as a POTENTIAL starter for my squad this year (I'm not huge on drafting QBs early, unless I can get one of the surefire studs - which don't seem to really exist this year). I'll grab C-Pep and one of the other lesser QBs with upside (e.g. Kitna, Leftwich, Warner, etc.) and bank on the fact that one of them will be a passable fantasy QB. I'd rather load up on stronger options at RB/WR than spend an early-midrounder on a shaky QB.

You've summed up what I've been saying all along in one paragraph! Maybe now all these Culpepper haters will see the light AND the logical draft strategy I've been sharing.