[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Turner to the Jets?

McBoog

I don't know Berger from a hamburger, so I have no clue about his credibility. I do know that no national resource picked up the story, but that doesn't necessarily mean much either.

I trust DEN beat writers Jeff Legwold for the Rocky Mountain News & Bill Williamson for the Denver Post much more than other sources - I know they do their homework and check both ends when a trade rumor is floated - unlike guys like Schefter & Paige (who both did the same crap here in DEN as they now do nationally - they hear something from the trainer's next door neighbor's paperboy, so it immediately becomes a credible source), Clayton, King, etc (who aren't as bad as Schefter but also don't verify their "scoops" on the other end) before they'll report it.

That it turned up in Newsday surprised me greatly, since I don't associate Newsday with being a normal strong sports source. But locals know the beat writers and their credibility better than anyone, and your information has always been solid, Rovers. So if you say Berger has credibility on this, I'll retract what I posted & go with your reaction on this.

Berger, and Newsday are pretty credible sources.... much more so than The NY Post or the NY Daily News. Because of that, they don't often get the scoop, but when they do report on something, it has legs. What Berger doesn't say, and probably doesn't know is was it just an exploratory call from the Jets to SD, doing due dilligence, especially with Turner having Played on a team coached (granted, QB coach) by Brian Schottenmheimer? Turner knows Schott lite's offense, which will be very simialr to SD's.

If the Jets didn't explore Turner's availabilty, it would be near negligent behavior. All Berger is really saying is that contact was made regarding Turner. That hardly means anything is proceeding however. It might have been shut down by the Chargers' front office already. I think most teams will first discuss what is being offered before they would stonewall an inquiry. The Jets are in a weak postion though, and I think SD would ask for the moon, like a 2007 #1 and Cedric Houston.... something the Jets would fins unpalatable to say the least. I think they might go for a second rounder and Houston however. That is still a pretty steep price for a RB who hasn't proven he can hold up over 16 games and is in the last year of his rookie contract.

Mangini, and for that matter, the entire Jets organization has refused to admit they are doing a full rebuild... if the do make an offer for Turner, it tells me they actually believe that.... I personally don't believe that... it's coach speak.

Let's assume that Turner is trading to the Jets. Is he immediately the starter over Houston and Blalock?

I would say yes, with an 85% probability. First, Turner will be very expensive. The Jets wouldn't ante up unless they saw him as their feature RB. Schottenhiemer knows how these RB's stack up against each other talent wise. He's seen plenty of all of them by now. Schotty has pull on this team.... the Kellen Clemens pick was his.

Berger, and Newsday are pretty credible sources.... much more so than The NY Post or the NY Daily News. Because of that, they don't often get the scoop, but when they do report on something, it has legs. What Berger doesn't say, and probably doesn't know is was it just an exploratory call from the Jets to SD, doing due dilligence, especially with Turner having Played on a team coached (granted, QB coach) by Brian Schottenmheimer? Turner knows Schott lite's offense, which will be very simialr to SD's.

If the Jets didn't explore Turner's availabilty, it would be near negligent behavior. All Berger is really saying is that contact was made regarding Turner. That hardly means anything is proceeding however. It might have been shut down by the Chargers' front office already. I think most teams will first discuss what is being offered before they would stonewall an inquiry. The Jets are in a weak postion though, and I think SD would ask for the moon, like a 2007 #1 and Cedric Houston.... something the Jets would fins unpalatable to say the least. I think they might go for a second rounder and Houston however. That is still a pretty steep price for a RB who hasn't proven he can hold up over 16 games and is in the last year of his rookie contract.

Mangini, and for that matter, the entire Jets organization has refused to admit they are doing a full rebuild... if the do make an offer for Turner, it tells me they actually believe that.... I personally don't believe that... it's coach speak.

That being the case, I do retract my snide comments about Berger. Please accept my apologies.

How bad can it suck? Were you really counting on Cedric to push your team over the top?

Well, if he would have been the clear cut starter on the Jets, then he certainly would have made an impact on a fantasy team, wouldn't you agree?

Turner would cost a pretty penny. He filled in quite well when LT could not go.

I'd expect he would have the same value as the tag for a "transition player." Is he worth that? Nope, but if someone wants him bad enough, they'll pay the price. Since he's not signed long term, it's a longshot at best.

Since the Jets would probably be a top 10 pick, it would not be in their best interest to pursue a deal.

The Jets wouldn't get him for a reasonable cost to them (low) and the Chargers wouldn't get a reasonable payment for him (high).

The Jets were in the same position with Lamont Jordan. Kind of ironic, don't you think?